Author Topic: Paul Pierce gets it, KG doesn't... (booing)  (Read 16086 times)

Re: Paul Pierce gets it, KG doesn't... (booing)
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
And I apologize for messing up the quotes. Typing on an itouch when one is seething at his teams star & his loyal servants.. I mean entourage is quite hard to do.

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Maybe if KG could finish one of his opportunities around the basket, he might be in a better mood and not rip the fans. I have to tell you that those comments last night make me look at this guy in a different light. Thanks for the championship in 2008, but don't let the door hit you on the way out, KG.
Gimmie  a break. You dont ever get p---ed off? He is obviously upset with the performance. The chemistry on this team is not good. Nice recovery by Pierce though.

He has the right to get mad. But at the fans? He should know better. Get mad at the coach, your teammates, or yourself but not the blue collar workers that spend their hard earned money
,in this economy, to watch a bunch of multimillionaires give another half hearted effort on the court.
When have you ever known KG to give half-hearted effort on the court. He is giving his best effort on a knee that is gone. Anyone that questions KG effort makes me wonder if they watched any of the 07/08 season.

Bottom line he got p---ed off, put his foot in his mouth. Guess this never happened to you.

It has happened to me. Plenty of times. The difference is that I don't make $20 million a year.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
I agree completely chief. When you make that much money to not give effort on any given night to me is unacceptable. To then call the fans "fair weather" for booing is not gonna endear him to me & a lot of other Celtic fans & hooligans I know. That comment really struck a nerve with some of us die hards. It basiclly shows a complete misunderstanding of who we are & why we cheer & show up for games. 

Call us "eliteists" call us "purists" call us whatever you want. But the bottom line is Basketball started here in this great state & we expect our Celtics to play a certain way & with a certain pride. That means hustling for loose balls diving on the floor doing the little things to win. And as long as you do those things the fans here will cheer for you win or lose. Do them not & the boos will start in the rafters & work their way down to the white collars at center court on the floor & the owners behind the basket. And deservidly so.

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 01:59:23 PM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I think you guys should cut KG some slack. He is one of the most emotional players I've ever seen, and in the past has given 100% effort even on crappy teams. He's clearly more frustrated with how things are going than any of us are and he doesn't need boos to know he sucks right now. For him to snap at people booing him is entirely understandable.

KG and the celtics feed off the homecourt crowds. IMO there has been a huge difference in crowd support between 2007-2008 season and this season. In championship season, crowds were nuts and supportive. I went to three games this season during the team's excellent start and there was absolutely no buzz in the building. Some sporadic cheering, but it was mostly like people just expected the C's to win the game. Just felt like very apathetic crowd. And now people are booing. I think there is a definite contingent of fair weather fans currently. This is to be expected as many new fans were brought in by the big 3 and this is the first time they've seen less than amazing basketball.

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This is the reason why Paul Pierce is the Captain not Kevin Garnott. Even Ray Allen at times has the diarrhea of the mouth. How many times has Ray called Rondo out publicly? Pierce is the Levelheaded one out of the Big3.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:07:03 PM by Change »

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I am totally in KG's corner here. If you can't take a bad game and have to resort to that, then everyone would be better off if you stayed away.

Funny thing about that: I'm not sure the people whose livelihoods are made at least in part on gate receipts of fans not staying away would be so much "better off" if those who boo stay away.

The phrase "comes with the territory" seems apropos here.

Further, whether you agree with KG or not - how exactly did Roy take any liberties with KG's words?

I'm not going to claim that this turns me into some kind of Garnett hater or anything like that, mostly because a) athletes say stupid things all the time, and if I turned on every one who did, I wouldn't have a team to root for (and really, this is true for anybody in any profession who constantly has a microphone shoved in their face), b) I sadly don't find this all that out of the ordinary with his pattern of behavior in general and c) I can at least hope it was a comment made in the heat of the moment on a night where he was likely pretty understandably frustrated.  

But gosh, it's really head-shakingly baffling to see those words on paper.

Good on the captain for saying what he said.  Now here's to a change in the dynamics on the floor.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
This the reason why Paul Pierce is the Captain not Kevin Garnott. Even Ray Allen at times has the diarrhea of the mouth. How many times has Ray called Rondo out publicly? Pierce is the Levelheaded one out of the Big3.

The increasing trend that we've seen on this board all year of taking gratuitous potshots to push certain Celtics players down in order to make the case for something another is doing well will never cease to amaze me.

Why can't Pierce simply be credited for what he said in comparison to KG?  What does Ray Allen have to do with any of this?

I don't get it at all.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I think the crowd should boo lackluster effort. The crowd also needs to be loud as hell when where playing well and I haven't seen a loud as hell crowd in the Garden all year. I think loud fans can help players with energy and hustle. Boo when they don't bring it but bring down the roof when they do!!!

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
If the teams effort is gonna be inconsistent then the fans reaction or lack thereoff is gonna be pretty inconsistent as well. I think there's a direct correlation there your not seeing. :-\

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think KG's right.  Say what you want about our guys but you can't justify booing your own team.  And even if you feel like you can justify it, how does it help?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

The increasing trend that we've seen on this board all year of taking gratuitous potshots to push certain Celtics players down in order to make the case for something another is doing well will never cease to amaze me.

Why can't Pierce simply be credited for what he said in comparison to KG?  What does Ray Allen have to do with any of this?

I don't get it at all.

-sw

Just trying to put it in perspective. Dating back to 2007, Ray has thrown Rondo under the Bus countless times. KG blaming the fans losing to the Wizards. Add Sheed bad mouthing Doc. There goes the Chemistry. Teammates and Coaches backbiting each other.

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »

Offline Mizzy21390

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
One thing I hate is that people tend to generalize us Boston fans as fair weather or bandwagon as if no other city has some fans like that. The difference with us fans is that we WILL cheer for our team even when they lose, and get blown out BUT play with effort AND try. Even when they went on those losing streaks of 18 games, or just sucked, we supported them, and went to the games, and cheered for them.

People think that we boo when the team sucks.. NO! We boo when there is no effort. We will not boo a team that's losing because there is no talent, but WILL BOO when they don't hustle for loose balls and rebounds, and play like they don't want to be there...

That is why I love what PP had to say rather than KG. Maybe KG just doesn't know the fan base as well to be able to judge us and tell us to not come to games, and call us fair weather. He doesn't know that we would never boo for playing bad, but for lack of effort. PP has been in this team for more than 11 years, and so he knows us, and knows what will cause a chorus of boos in the Garden.

I hope PP told KG off and explained to him the way us fans think. We're not being fair weather, or mean, or just booing because they loss, but booing because last night, they played like they didn't want to be there! BIG DIFFERENCE! If we're spending our money on people who don't want to play then our money's going to waste. I'd rather spend my money on a team that might lose, but played with effort.

One thing I wish I could ask KG was, how many times has he heard us boo? Like three times? And all those three times, it's been because of lack of effort. I don't ever remember us booing anytime since '08 season for losing. The C's have been losing really bad since Christmas, but even during those losses, there was not a single boo... You know why? Because at least even during those games, they had effort, and tried. And didn't mail it in.

I'm sorry for this rant. But I really am mad at KG for not knowing the fans well enough to know we are not doing this out of being a fair weather fan, or booing because they lost, (BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LOSING) but very much so with effort. We expect effort day in and day out.
Yeeeaaaa!!!

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I really had to think hard about this one. Paul made the right choice of words here, I think. He has the inside pulse of the city by being here as long as he has.

I really think that KG made those comments in a fit of frustration, though. The words certainly didn't come out the right way. KG has the heart of a lion. I cannot question his effort. The fact that he has so much "Effort" is probably the reason why he has been slow to recover this year from injuries, I think.

I think we all have said things in a fit of frustration before.

I cannot ever recall a Boston Celtics Team with this much talent getting crushed at home multiple times in a season, though.

I know that age has played a factor this year, but how much, I must ask? I compare us to San Antonio, and man for man we are just as talented as they are. It is just so hard to try to figure this team out this year.

I have never been to a Celtics game (yet), but I believe that the fan base is loyal, but to not put forth the effort is inexcusable.

Even during the Lean Years, the Celtics did make it entertaining and most of the time an opponent could not just walk into Boston and think they would have an easy time of it.

Not this year.

I did not see the game..reading some of the game thread I saw mention that KG did not look well? If the man is hurt, then he needs to sit. Swallow your pride, KG, and get well.

Gametime is one week away.

I am still holding out hope that Boston will right this ship in the playoffs, but until then Fans here have every right to be upset due to an obvious lack of effort.

I don't know every Poster here that has Season Tickets, but I certainly understand where folks like Vinnie are upset. I would be, too, if I traveled all the way to Boston with my sons to see our first Celtics game and they get crushed by an inferior opponent.

I wouldn't boo, but that's just me.

Celtics fans are everywhere. My 11 yr old son was playing "Runescape" online, and his character ran across a leprechaun. He then of course types in "Ubuntu!!" and I guess some of the players saw what he entered and he struck up a conversation with a few previously unknown Celtics fans. His new "buddies" are high-level Knights ;D.

I then told my son that the Leprechaun he ran across in that game is lost..he needs to go back to Boston. ;D

But seriously this is yet another speed bump in the road. We slow down, go over it, and then continue on.

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
Mgent your far off base on this one. Yes you can be justified in booing your own team if they deserve it. Through lack of effort, hustle, careing, etc. And yes it does help in my opinion. Because when they hear the boos they feel embarassed & rightfully so after a pathetic display like last night. And that's one of the only ways the fans can hold the players accountable in a very public forumn & all together in unison.

It's a way for fans to voice their displeasure. And rightfully so if the Celtics put forth that type of effort. We as fans pay our hard earned cash to see a top tier product on the floor & expect the effort to reflect that. When it doesn't we have every right to boo & carry on. I for one am glad KG heard it. It was an embarassing performance. Maybe now he'll realize what it means & wakeup & hopefully do the same for some of his teammates.

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i never boo them.  it is just something i refuse to do.  if im unhappy, i just get really quiet.