Author Topic: Not in a hurry to 'Rebuild'  (Read 1286 times)

Not in a hurry to 'Rebuild'
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:47 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
What's this fascination about rebuilding? Celtics were in a rebuilding mode for 22 long years. Why relive the misery and the agony of those years. Its didn't work and it rarely works. Besides, I can't write off the big3 yet. Captain Paul is 32. Kobe just signed an extension that expire when he is 35. Manu is in the books when he turns 36. Pierce definitely has a lot more years left. Ray is bionic (No jinx), he gets better with age. Other than the fluky injury last season, KG doesn't have a long history of injuries. He's making progress and recovering well. He'll be even better next season. Big3 are far from done. Not Yet.

Even if the Celtics decide to 'Rebuild', don't you need a young core to rebuild with. Rondo can't play all 5 positions by himself. Just follow the Spurs blueprint. Keep the big3+Rondo, and draft exceptionally well. Find some Gems in the draft, and in FA market. Remember, Chris Wallace is still open for Business. Rudy Gay Anyone? Contend every year.

Re: Not in a hurry to 'Rebuild'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:24:42 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The "Spurs model" is dependent on the key player maintaining a high level of play.

Tim Duncan is still a 20-10 player at the age of 35.  Even so, the Spurs aren't really contending at the moment.  They won a few times in the last decade when their players were younger than the Celtics players are now.  

KG is obviously not still playing at a high enough level.  Pierce has lost his speed and athleticism, and even Ray is having trouble staying consistent from outside.

The Spurs have also benefited from very good drafting and free agent signings.  They've been able to find role players that fill well in their system to complement their core.  The same can't really be said of the Celtics in the last couple of seasons

A rebuilding process will certainly take a long time, but the only alternative is staying mediocre (~40ish wins) for the next ten years by trying to build around Rondo, Perk, free agents willing to come to Boston, and middling draft picks.  

Though it will put us through some tough years, in the NBA the only way to really rebuild is to give away all but the most vital assets and tank for high draft picks, unless you're lucky enough to be in a city where big name FA might actually want to go.

All of the current "elite" teams (Cleveland, Orlando, LA, Denver, Dallas etc) all had to endure periods of dire mediocrity and then get lucky enough to pick a superstar around which to construct a team - well, except for the Lakers.  LA has the luxury of being a super rich team with the ability to lure FA and swing lopsided trades.  The Celtics have no such luxury.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:33:33 AM by PosImpos »
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What's this fascination about rebuilding? Celtics were in a rebuilding mode for 22 long years. Why relive the misery and the agony of those years. Its didn't work and it rarely works. Besides, I can't write off the big3 yet. Captain Paul is 32. Kobe just signed an extension that expire when he is 35. Manu is in the books when he turns 36. Pierce definitely has a lot more years left. Ray is bionic (No jinx), he gets better with age. Other than the fluky injury last season, KG doesn't have a long history of injuries. He's making progress and recovering well. He'll be even better next season. Big3 are far from done. Not Yet.

Even if the Celtics decide to 'Rebuild', don't you need a young core to rebuild with. Rondo can't play all 5 positions by himself. Just follow the Spurs blueprint. Keep the big3+Rondo, and draft exceptionally well. Find some Gems in the draft, and in FA market. Remember, Chris Wallace is still open for Business. Rudy Gay Anyone? Contend every year.

Very, very well written post and a breath of fresh air. I agree with you on the mystery behind the fascination with some fans on rebuilding.

It's almost like some fans want to see our team su*k. I know I don't. If I know or think my team isn't contending for a championship on a yearly basis, I change the channel on TV so fast it makes my remote control spin!!

Very well written.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The "Spurs model" is dependent on the key player maintaining a high level of play.

Tim Duncan is still a 20-10 player at the age of 35.  Even so, the Spurs aren't really contending at the moment.  They won a few times in the last decade when their players were younger than the Celtics players are now.  

KG is obviously not still playing at a high enough level.  Pierce has lost his speed and athleticism, and even Ray is having trouble staying consistent from outside.

The Spurs have also benefited from very good drafting and free agent signings.  They've been able to find role players that fill well in their system to complement their core.  The same can't really be said of the Celtics in the last couple of seasons

A rebuilding process will certainly take a long time, but the only alternative is staying mediocre (~40ish wins) for the next ten years by trying to build around Rondo, Perk, free agents willing to come to Boston, and middling draft picks.  

Though it will put us through some tough years, in the NBA the only way to really rebuild is to give away all but the most vital assets and tank for high draft picks, unless you're lucky enough to be in a city where big name FA might actually want to go.

All of the current "elite" teams (Cleveland, Orlando, LA, Denver, Dallas etc) all had to endure periods of dire mediocrity and then get lucky enough to pick a superstar around which to construct a team - well, except for the Lakers.  LA has the luxury of being a super rich team with the ability to lure FA and swing lopsided trades.  The Celtics have no such luxury.

In my opinion, that's bologny! The Celtics have the money to sign any player they want. Explain to me how the Lakers can be so rich but the Celtics aren't? Where's all this money going that I spend on Celtics tickets and merchandise? To outer space?

It bugs me when Boston fans enjoy playing the poverty card and claim their team can't financially compete with anyone other team.

Teams should be able to spend whatever it takes to improve themselves and if they get hit with a luxury tax, so be it.

Isn't it all about winning?