Author Topic: What should happen...  (Read 3334 times)

What should happen...
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lost in some of the gloom and doom over the way the Celtics have been playing for the last few months is what should happen from here. The Celtics are now as healthy as they have been probably since Opening Night. They have had a year of trials and tribulations and learning about their own mortality and limits. They have been through the grinder this year with about as rough a season as any member of that squad thought would happen when the season started. So what happens from here on out? Well, here's a look at what should happen:

...Rajon Rondo should see that the Celtics go as he goes and become the engine that makes this car run. He should play tough man defense, keeping his man in front of him always, committing under on the high pick and roll while the picker's man delays his man to allow time for Rondo to re-establish his defense and he should stop gambling. The playoffs are upon us and gambling isn't going to cut it any more. Rondo should run at all times and pull it back when it's not there. He should stop with the "Harlem Globetrotter" style of passing. He should take that open foul line extended jumper with confidence and without hesitation.

And if he does that, he could be a Finals MVP.

...Ray Allen should see that the consistency of his three point shot just isn't there anymore and just keep doing what he has been doing which is shooting it when he is on and not when he isn't on. He should also demand the ball in late game, time to foul a guy situations and not try to be the facilitator in late game plays. He should be ready to dedicate himself to playing the best defense he possibly can.

And if he does that and the Celtics win the title, he should get ready to sign on for two more years.

...Paul Pierce should see that when he is energized and active as a scorer, that this team wins. He should be trying to shoulder the scoring at early times in the game and tough times in the game and he should try to be like that consistently every night. He should also try like hell to rebound the ball better on the defensive end.

And if he can and great things happen, he should get ready to have his 34 raised to the rafters on his retirement night within the next 5 years.

... Kevin Garnett should see that he isn't what he once was but what he is is the defensive cog and quarterback that makes this team run. He should start relying on basics like boxing out and positional defense rather than rely on his once freakish athletic ability. He should start mixing in some low post offense and not rely strictly on his 18-20 footer for his scoring. He should rally this team around him and be the leader that they need.

And when he does this the Celtics usually are impossible to beat in a seven game series.

...Kendrick Perkins should realize that he isn't a main scoring option on this team and that the things he does that most effect the outcome of a game are his defense and rebounding. He should concentrate his efforts there and become the beast that no one wants to drive on. He should also, along with Rondo, be the person crashing the offensive boards and trying to score off those rebounds. He should stop moving whil;e setting picks and he should take a few deep breaths and relax before taking that first free throw so he can start hitting it. He should stop ****ing at the refs.

And when he starts doing this, he becomes a guy the Celtics will want in their long term plans and not someone they will be looking to move this off season.

...Doc Rivers should start getting into the swing of playoff coaching which means properly motivating and preparing this team so that they come out for each game, hlaf and quarter prepared to be in a dogfight and ready to give everything they have for a win. He should set his rotations but still utilize what he has when it's in the teams best interest. He should be ready to have gamne plans that counteract the defenses that he knows he is going to have and he should start making adjustment quicker.

And if he does, he should be getting fitted for another ring and getting ready to accept more apologies from Celtics fans that don't like him once again.

...Rasheed Wallace should start giving a [dang] and come out of the nearly season long nap he has been in. He should start hustling and trying on every play and playing better help defense and using his superior low posts moves as his first option to score. He should be taking only 1 or 2 three point shots a game and he should keep his big mouth shut.

And if he does, he will be a two time champion.

...The rest of the bench should do pretty much what they have been doing. They should try to get the most of their playing time by doing what they do best and not trying to do more than they are capable of. Baby should rebound and play defense and run the floor and should never try to put back an offensive rebound if there's more than one man to beat. Nate should shoot and drive and shoot. Finley should be exactly what he has been. Tony should be the enrgy and defensive thrust at the wing that this team needs and should run the floor like crazy when ever he is playing with Rondo. And the rest should follow their examples.

And if they show what they can add to this team, they will be able to call themselves champs and maybe earn a contract back next year.

...The fans should make some noise and never stop making some noise. They should be patient for what is to come and they should never stop hoping that this team can win it all.

And if they do, they may just get what they are hoping they get.

Re: What should happen...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Nice to see some optimism here every once in awhile. Some people actully believe that the Celtics are in grave danger of losing in the first round...I'd say the Cavs would be in more danger than us if they end up playing the Bulls in the first round and they still don't have Shaq back yet...they would be in a similar situation to us last year except they have LeBron, Moe, and Antawn instead of Pierce, Rondo, and Allen.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
...Rajon Rondo should see that the Celtics go as he goes and become the engine that makes this car run. He should play tough man defense, keeping his man in front of him always, committing under on the high pick and roll while the picker's man delays his man to allow time for Rondo to re-establish his defense and he should stop gambling.

The part about "while the picker's man delays his man to allow time for Rondo to re-establish his defense" rarely if ever happens. If it did there would be far fewer "Rondo should keep his man in front of him" posts. And I don't think that they should tell Rondo to stop gambling, just to make sure he picks his spots well.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
...Rajon Rondo should see that the Celtics go as he goes and become the engine that makes this car run. He should play tough man defense, keeping his man in front of him always, committing under on the high pick and roll while the picker's man delays his man to allow time for Rondo to re-establish his defense and he should stop gambling.

The part about "while the picker's man delays his man to allow time for Rondo to re-establish his defense" rarely if ever happens. If it did there would be far fewer "Rondo should keep his man in front of him" posts. And I don't think that they should tell Rondo to stop gambling, just to make sure he picks his spots well.
Well, they do tell him to stop gambling all the time. Don't know if you caught the post game presser that night he had 18 assists. He and KG did the post game and KG was needling him for a good 5 minutes with tongue in cheek humor about his gambling ways and said the coaches are on him about it all the time. The joke was that he gets a steal almost as often as he gambles on defense.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Well, they do tell him to stop gambling all the time. Don't know if you caught the post game presser that night he had 18 assists. He and KG did the post game and KG was needling him for a good 5 minutes with tongue in cheek humor about his gambling ways and said the coaches are on him about it all the time. The joke was that he gets a steal almost as often as he gambles on defense.

I saw the press conference. But his harassing the passing lanes and poking the ball away from people driving the lane are part of the team's defense.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I saw the press conference. But his harassing the passing lanes and poking the ball away from people driving the lane are part of the team's defense.
They are also what causes the defense to break down as well. For evey successful gamble there are just as many if not more instances where he fails and it costs the team points.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
For my best interests, I probably should spend all of my free time studying and looking for job / internship opportunities.  I should start working on papers a couple of weeks before they are due and perfect them.  I should go for a long run every day and spend 30 minutes to an hour working out at the gym.  I should never drink alcohol and I should avoid trans fats and processed sugars and flour.  I should....

You get the idea.

If I did all of those things, I'd be the perfect me - I'd get into Harvard Law School and I'd be in peak physical condition; unfortunately it's not as easy as just knowing what I "ought" to be doing.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

They are also what causes the defense to break down as well. For evey successful gamble there are just as many if not more instances where he fails and it costs the team points.

Again, I said that he should probably be more judicious about when he gamebles in the playoffs, just like he'll cut down on the careless turnovers. But it's also true that he creates a lot of havoc by poking the ball away from people. And most of the time he tries to poke the ball away from his opponent from behind, it's not really gambling.

On top of that, opposing pgs don't get a lot of inside shots or a lot of assists when Rondo's playing. I don't think that it's as big a problem as people imagine.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
spot on, straightforward assessment of the situation.

this is what will happen in a perfect world. 

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Awesome post, Nick (TP) ... all I would add is that Doc needs to be a little more consistent with the subs, not just on certain rotations, but more geared to match-ups and strength, especially defensively. We've lost the defensive edge we had that got us so far, and he's got to be the one to drive that home.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Again, I said that he should probably be more judicious about when he gamebles in the playoffs, just like he'll cut down on the careless turnovers. But it's also true that he creates a lot of havoc by poking the ball away from people. And most of the time he tries to poke the ball away from his opponent from behind, it's not really gambling.

On top of that, opposing pgs don't get a lot of inside shots or a lot of assists when Rondo's playing. I don't think that it's as big a problem as people imagine.

Rondo shouldn't be behind his opponent as often as he is though (especially on non pick and roll plays). Rondo needs to watch video of Payton in his prime. Although Rondo doesn't have the height, he's got better speed and probably a wider wingspan.

Move your feet, stay in front of your man, and pick an choose when to take that gamble more judiciously. Payton used to create havoc with steals and shut his man down.

Rondo should have this stance on defense more often instead of just relying on his physical ability:

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Rondo shouldn't be behind his opponent as often as he is though (especially on non pick and roll plays). Rondo needs to watch video of Payton in his prime. Although Rondo doesn't have the height, he's got better speed and probably a wider wingspan.

Move your feet, stay in front of your man, and pick an choose when to take that gamble more judiciously. Payton used to create havoc with steals and shut his man down.

Rondo should have this stance on defense more often instead of just relying on his physical ability:

I don't think he ends up behind his man that often when there's no pick. And I think he's been doing even better at this lately.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
thank you Wisdom Dispenser Nick

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Awesome post, Nick (TP) ... all I would add is that Doc needs to be a little more consistent with the subs, not just on certain rotations, but more geared to match-ups and strength, especially defensively. We've lost the defensive edge we had that got us so far, and he's got to be the one to drive that home.

Bahku you are right this is an excellent post (TP Nick) and I agree with your follow up point on Doc.

The parts that stood out to me the most are...

...Rasheed Wallace should start giving a [dang] and come out of the nearly season long nap he has been in. He should start hustling and trying on every play and playing better help defense and using his superior low posts moves as his first option to score. He should be taking only 1 or 2 three point shots a game and he should keep his big mouth shut.

And if he does, he will be a two time champion.

...The fans should make some noise and never stop making some noise. They should be patient for what is to come and they should never stop hoping that this team can win it all.

And if they do, they may just get what they are hoping they get.

And one of those we can control ourselves.

So I say that any fans that go to any Celtics games left in the regular season and especially in the playoffs definitely should follow this advice!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

I agree with this. Rondo is fast enough and skilled enough to stay in front of his man and when he doesn't it creates situations on defense that put other players out of position. 
I know that Rondo has said in the past that he used to focus too much on getting steals for his stats by trying to poke the ball out from behind and that Doc had talked to him about this.  it also looks like a lazy defense because it takes less effort to try and knock the ball away than it does to stay in front and play within the team.