Author Topic: Nate and Marquis the odd men out for playoffs rotation?  (Read 3960 times)

Nate and Marquis the odd men out for playoffs rotation?
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Very interesting comment made by Doc after the game about the playoffs rotation, reported by Chris Forsberg on Twitter :

Doc said rotation today is what we'll likely see in postseason. Nate and Marquis on the outside looking in at this point.

Obviously we will know more about this in the game recap but... what do you think?

If he stays true to his word, Doc will "only play" Sheed, Baby, TA and Finley (in limited minutes) off th bench. We saw tonight that Rondo played almost the entire game so there is no real need for a backup PG but still, it's quite surprising to have Nate and Marquis sit out since they were two of our biggest signings/acquired players this season. I know they haven't produced lately but they still have a lot of talent, so I hope Doc won't stick to his planned rotation and, instead, play different players in different matchups/situations (foul trouble etc).

Re: Nate and Marquis the odd men out for playoffs rotation?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Definately liked the rotation today and these players will be in the playoffs thankfully. Nate, Quis, Sheldon are only coming in for emergencies.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Why no Nate? Same with Quisy and Sheldon? We kinda need Nate, especially during playoff time.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Very interesting comment made by Doc after the game about the playoffs rotation, reported by Chris Forsberg on Twitter :

Doc said rotation today is what we'll likely see in postseason. Nate and Marquis on the outside looking in at this point.

Obviously we will know more about this in the game recap but... what do you think?

If he stays true to his word, Doc will "only play" Sheed, Baby, TA and Finley (in limited minutes) off th bench. We saw tonight that Rondo played almost the entire game so there is no real need for a backup PG but still, it's quite surprising to have Nate and Marquis sit out since they were two of our biggest signings/acquired players this season. I know they haven't produced lately but they still have a lot of talent, so I hope Doc won't stick to his planned rotation and, instead, play different players in different matchups/situations (foul trouble etc).

It's a bummer that Nate hasn't processed the offense.  We could really use his all-around offensive presence.

Benching Daniels I'm comfortable with.  I had been hopeful that he could revert to his Dallas form with a primary playmaking/scoring role off the bench, but he ended up playing exclusively as an off-ball 3, a role in which he failed to do anything well or even average.  We're better off giving Paul/Ray extra playoff minutes.

I'm worried about Finley seeing time as part of the regular rotation.  He's been shooting lights out, but he's not capable of generating more scoring volume and he is so slow-footed on D.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Its a nice luxury to have Nate and Q out of the rotation. Doubt that would be the case, but its not a bad thing this team is deep.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
Well, the way Doc uses Nate, we would have been better off keeping House and activating Lue----what a WASTE of a trade---Nate is instant offense, but Doc always stresses "Making the EXTRA Pass"....so much for Nate's game.....Bummer...TA is outplaying Quisy, so no big loss there.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Marquis Daniels has played himself out of the rotation.

I would rather see Nate Robinson in the team than Michael Finley. I don't trust Finley's hot shooting to hold up and consequently feel that Nate could add more to the team. I do like Tony Allen's defensive + rebounding presence at the point guard though.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I would rather see Nate Robinson in the team than Michael Finley. I don't trust Finley's hot shooting to hold up and consequently feel that Nate could add more to the team. I do like Tony Allen's defensive + rebounding presence at the point guard though.
I think as long as Finley keeps hitting shots we'll see him and Tony out there. I don't have a problem with Doc playing the one who's shooting better recently.

I'm willing to bet though that at some point while the team is struggling to score Nate will get a shot in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I think as long as Finley keeps hitting shots we'll see him and Tony out there. I don't have a problem with Doc playing the one who's shooting better recently.

I'm willing to bet though that at some point while the team is struggling to score Nate will get a shot in the playoffs.
Agreed. Nate will eventually see time in the playoffs, whether it's due to foul trouble, the other team going small or the team needing an offensive spark.
Nate can really show me something by maintaining his composure while not playing. With the rap he got in New York you would expect him to act out, but I just don't see that happening.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Its a nice luxury to have Nate and Q out of the rotation. Doubt that would be the case, but its not a bad thing this team is deep.

Agreed.  That's really the only thing I make of this.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If Nate is not worked into a role on this team, then the Celtics made a horrible trade. 

I rather House in that role where he could come onto the court for a single play to just shoot.

I still rather see Nate in there when Rondo comes out.  I do not want to see TA as the PG. 

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
my hope is whatever guys that aren't in normal rotations be it scal, sheldon, marquis or nate etc take it like teammates & veterans!
If we only need finley to play 10 minutes in 1 playoff game but he can come in play a good all around game and score on jumpers for 15 pts, great.  If marquis only gets minutes in 1 series to defend a sf with height then he comes in and plays and does the job the TEAM needs him to.
etc etc

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, the way Doc uses Nate, we would have been better off keeping House and activating Lue----what a WASTE of a trade---Nate is instant offense, but Doc always stresses "Making the EXTRA Pass"....so much for Nate's game.....Bummer...TA is outplaying Quisy, so no big loss there.

I don't think Doc's been telling Nate to make the extra pass. I think they've told him to be more aggressive and he hasn't done it.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
If Nate is not worked into a role on this team, then the Celtics made a horrible trade. 

I rather House in that role where he could come onto the court for a single play to just shoot.

I still rather see Nate in there when Rondo comes out.  I do not want to see TA as the PG. 

The biggest problem with Nate is that he's lost in our offense.  He's not creating for others and the only looks he's getting for himself are 3-pt heaves when his defender drops under the screen.  He's not getting anywhere near the paint, which was one of his biggest advantages over House, along with superior rebounding, defense and ball-handling.  His lack of familiarity with the offense also makes Doc hesitant to play him with the starters.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »

Offline DinTN

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

Agree. TP.

Want to see the team use the combinations that work best & win games. However, would like to see Nate give a few minutes at PG to rest Rondo & Daniels in for defense & rest PP.  :-\   On the positive I'm glad to see TA get in the rotation.