Author Topic: Doc Rivers is a Coward  (Read 14052 times)

Re: Doc Rivers is a Coward
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
 ::)

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
Maybe he is a hypocrite, but I don't think I would call him a coward.  

Agreed. Coward is too strong a word.  Doc is hypocritical in dealing with vets vs. young guys. Almost every coach is, even Phil Jackson, who would look the other way when Pippen or Rodman got out of line, but would bust chops on his young guys.

...and the problem you have with this is...?  it's not hypocrisy - it's called reality.

news flash: even RED AUERBACH did this...

news flasH; double standard for kobe bryant or bill russell?  no problem!

double standard for the rotting corpse of rasheed wallace? yes i have a huge problem with that.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Please read this article and learn something about the man you foolishly call a coward. You should be ashamed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/01/family_doc/

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Please read this article and learn something about the man you foolishly call a coward. You should be ashamed.

Definitely a post that needs a lot of TP's. Way to put things into perspective. Say what you want about Doc's coaching. Sometimes I scratch my head here and there, but then again he did help us win a banner Most importantly Doc is a good man. We should all be proud.

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Very good article...although it has nothing to do with his coaching. TP.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
If some of you guys didn't have something to gripe about you wouldn't have much use for your fingers and a keyboard...

We knew what we were getting with Rasheed...  He is a technical foul waiting to happen.  But I'll take his tech's over Big Sissy's... 

I think Doc realizes that Glen Davis is not the kind of player that you can give one inch of slack to...  He's lazy & a bit aloof, and we're not certain about his passion for basketball.  Rasheed is just getting older, and his body is changing.  Maybe a bit out of shape?  Possibly, but I don't want a coach who coaches every player EXACTLY alike.  That's the dumbest thing a coach could ever do...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton

read it...still not ashamed.

good guy, media loves him. cannot wait for him to be back on abc.

the thread is about him as a coach. by all accounts, he is a good man, a good family man. we all know real life and family is more important than basketball.  this thread is about the hypocritical manner in which he coaches this basketball team.

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm bumping this because I'm curious to see how everyone views the topic now that Doc did the exact same thing he did to Baby when Sheed got an equally dumb T and wouldn't stop griping about it. 

Personally I'm glad he did so even though it contradicted his "vets get some slack" philosophy a little bit.  You can't let a player get away with yelling at his coach.  Hopefully parking on the bench for all of crunch time will slightly straighten out Sheed for a little while (not holding my breath though).

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wasn't happy when I saw Sheed yelling at Doc yesterday.  We havn't seen that type of stuff in a long time.  Who does Sheed think he is?

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 08:46:29 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wasn't happy when I saw Sheed yelling at Doc yesterday.  We havn't seen that type of stuff in a long time.  Who does Sheed think he is?
oops, just noticed the other sheed thread.

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this whole double standard thing goes back to my interpretation of what Doc was saying and no the widely believed interpretation that when it comes to dumb things, like techs with 17 point leads, Doc has a double standard. I think what Doc was driving at is that the refs have a double standard and that Baby could mouth off the way he did because he isn't a vet and the refs wouldn't take that stuff from Baby.

Yesterday's game is a prime example. Rasheed was talking crap at that ref who T'ed him up for a while before hitting him up. LeBron looked as if he was having some sort of seizure while complaining about a call before he was finally T'ed up. LeBron should have T'ed up about 4 other times yesterday but never was. The refs have a double standard regarding this stuff and I think that's what Doc was talking about.

That Doc handled the Rasheed and Baby techs in exactly similar game situations and warned that you can't get technical fouls up 17 because it could turn the game around, is sound and reasonable and yesterday he showed that he is consistent in that belief and the way he handles it and that he is right.

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Regarding double standards, that is EXACTLY how things in the real world work and how they should work.  The more valuable you are, the more you can get away with.  But besides that, there is hidden information behind what DOC said. That is, he knows that KG can handle himself, even if he does get a tech.

This is very similar to Jimmie Johnson's philosophy (Cowboy's coach).  And he never hid it one bit.  If you fall asleep in the meeting room and you are a star, you get run all day in practice.  If you are average, you get cut.

And players believed in that as well.  I remember hearing a story where Barry Switzer cancelled a practice because a bunch of players were hung over from partying.  Troy Aikman was p---ed. Switzer's response was basically, what do you want me to do as Michael Irvin held the party.  He asked did Troy want Barry to cut Irvin?

Aikman's response.  No, but you cut that guy and you cut that guy and you run Irvin until he is puking on the field.

This is the USSR.  The point isn't to try and equalize everyone.  That is the way it is. 

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
Regarding double standards, that is EXACTLY how things in the real world work and how they should work.  The more valuable you are, the more you can get away with.  But besides that, there is hidden information behind what DOC said. That is, he knows that KG can handle himself, even if he does get a tech.

This is very similar to Jimmie Johnson's philosophy (Cowboy's coach).  And he never hid it one bit.  If you fall asleep in the meeting room and you are a star, you get run all day in practice.  If you are average, you get cut.

And players believed in that as well.  I remember hearing a story where Barry Switzer cancelled a practice because a bunch of players were hung over from partying.  Troy Aikman was ****ed. Switzer's response was basically, what do you want me to do as Michael Irvin held the party.  He asked did Troy want Barry to cut Irvin?

Aikman's response.  No, but you cut that guy and you cut that guy and you run Irvin until he is puking on the field.

This is the USSR.  The point isn't to try and equalize everyone.  That is the way it is. 

again, i think some are missing the point. there is nothing wrong with a double standard. pierce, ray, kg, double standard, i do not think anyone has a problem with that.

but when you allow sheed, the laziest player i have seen in a long time, to rant and complain and get techs left and right and you openly accept that, but you are livid with glen davis for getting his second tech of the year in the midst of a blowout win, that is an unacceptable double standard to me.

and to address some others who have asked, i do give doc some credit for how he handled sheed yesterday, but still, he seemed to be more upset with BBD than he did with sheed yesterday, and sheed (albeit in the heat of the moment) was openly confronting doc.

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

And players believed in that as well.  I remember hearing a story where Barry Switzer cancelled a practice because a bunch of players were hung over from partying.  Troy Aikman was ****ed. Switzer's response was basically, what do you want me to do as Michael Irvin held the party.  He asked did Troy want Barry to cut Irvin?

again, i think some are missing the point. there is nothing wrong with a double standard. pierce, ray, kg, double standard, i do not think anyone has a problem with that.

but when you allow sheed, the laziest player i have seen in a long time, to rant and complain and get techs left and right and you openly accept that, but you are livid with glen davis for getting his second tech of the year in the midst of a blowout win, that is an unacceptable double standard to me.

and to address some others who have asked, i do give doc some credit for how he handled sheed yesterday, but still, he seemed to be more upset with BBD than he did with sheed yesterday, and sheed (albeit in the heat of the moment) was openly confronting doc.

I seem to recall his getting more upset with Perk jawing than with KG doing the same last year. Just like he might get more upset if TA goes 1v3 than if Paul does. I don't see a problem with having different expectations of different players or expecting players that are still developing to be different than 15 year vets.