Author Topic: Where does NOT trading Ray Allen leave us next season and beyond?  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
As the trade deadline approaches it makes me wonder about our future success if we aren't able to acquire another major piece for Ray Allen. If we allow the season to run it's course and don't make the often discussed Allen deal then we are seriously risking any opportunity of improving for the next couple of seasons. Our team will be in a kind of no man's land, too good to have any top selections through the draft and not good enough to have serious thoughts about raising another banner. Even if Pierce opts out of his deal and takes a backloaded deal (similar to KG's) our only real hope of improving would be through the MLE. Allen could re-sign for veteran minimum, which isn't happening, and we still wouldn't have any cap space to secure a top player.

I hear the world "loyalty" used a lot when the Allen trade discussions come up, but would he remain with us if another team gave him a multi-year/ multi-million dollar deal? Which is why our true loyalty should be to the Celtics and the future of our team. Not for a player who has only been here for 2 1/2 years and has played less than 250 games for our franchise.

Re: Where does NOT trading Ray Allen leave us next season and beyond?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Depends on what offers are out there. If we're getting back serious talent for him then it would be a mistake.

But too many of the options that seem feasible don't make us better this year, and frankly don't help much in the long run.

Getting guys like Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons doesn't help us for the future either. So far that seems to be the quality of offers out there.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Getting guys like Kirk Hinrich and John Salmons doesn't help us for the future either. So far that seems to be the quality of offers out there.

I'm not so sure about that. While I prefer to get Iggy or Martin, a Hinirch, Salmons, and Thomas trio would be better and more valuable than a Ray Allen who would be only weeks shy of his 36th birthday by the time the Finals roll around next season.

I'm also interested to see of what Allen commands on the open market. We could provide him with a very competitive offer, but if might not be enough to re-sign him if a team feels they need shooting and are a player away from taking the next step. We potentially could be stuck with nothing once he becomes a free agent.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'm not so sure about that. While I prefer to get Iggy or Martin, a Hinirch, Salmons, and Thomas trio would be better and more valuable than a Ray Allen who would be only weeks shy of his 36th birthday by the time the Finals roll around next season.
Probably, but they don't make us a contender next year in my opinion. They certainly aren't pieces you can use along with Perk/Rondo/Davis to build a post big 3 era team.

I'd rather avoid losing Ray for this year if were not getting a young talent to truly pair with Rondo for the future.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Probably, but they don't make us a contender next year in my opinion. They certainly aren't pieces you can use along with Perk/Rondo/Davis to build a post big 3 era team.

Being a title contender would be debatable, but we would improve next season and and the year after. Make no mistake that we won't be post Big 3 era until after KG's deal is up regardless of how much their game has regressed. That said, Hinrich's deal comes off the books that same summer (2012) and Salmons expire in 2011. That trade, although not perfect, could be a nice bridge to gives us some semblance of title aspirations until the bigger contracts expire.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think keeping Ray at least gives us a shot next year.  Trading him for guys the caliber of Hinrich kills our chances this year, as well as going forward.

If you trade Ray, it needs to be for a guy who helps us win now, but who also can contribute going forward.  There aren't many guys like that on the trading block.

I just don't understand why any fan or GM would advocate purposefully closing the window early, but that's exactly what's going to happen if Danny trades Ray just to trade him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

I'm also interested to see of what Allen commands on the open market. We could provide him with a very competitive offer, but if might not be enough to re-sign him if a team feels they need shooting and are a player away from taking the next step. We potentially could be stuck with nothing once he becomes a free agent.

This is what I'm concerned about with regard to Allen.  The longer it goes the less his value becomes.  And I'm not sure how Kirk and Salmons don't help for future either.  At worst you have a good back up PG and wing in the mold of Pierce.  Both can make the 3 and will have wide open shots just like Ray when they shoot them.  Ray has played well the past few games though which sort of has me rethinking whether he has enough in the tank for June.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I think keeping Ray at least gives us a shot next year.  Trading him for guys the caliber of Hinrich kills our chances this year, as well as going forward.

That's assuming Allen settles for a 1 or 2 yr deal. We could easily have a Posey extra year type situation on our hands this summer. That's a big risk to take.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This is what I'm concerned about with regard to Allen.  The longer it goes the less his value becomes.  And I'm not sure how Kirk and Salmons don't help for future either.  At worst you have a good back up PG and wing in the mold of Pierce.  Both can make the 3 and will have wide open shots just like Ray when they shoot them.  Ray has played well the past few games though which sort of has me rethinking whether he has enough in the tank for June.
Ray is a +8 according basektball value.

Salmons is a +3.85 and Hinrich a +.79

Pretty much every advanced stat that I've looked at tells the same story. Those two just aren't productive enough to replace Ray's contribution this year. Its not worth a downgrade to this year's title run unless we're getting a long term piece.

Neither of those guys is that piece.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

That's assuming Allen settles for a 1 or 2 yr deal. We could easily have a Posey extra year type situation on our hands this summer. That's a big risk to take.

Which team is going to give Ray a larger deal?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Plus the C's have his bird rights.

We can always overpay for a single year, or two years to avoid clogging our cap space long term.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

If you're a contender, do you give Ray a three year MLE deal?

Similar to one the Celtics gave Sheed.

I would and I would be amazed if Ray doesn't receive offers of that nature.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 12:25:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If the Celts give him a shorter deal for a larger average annual value, I'm sure he'd be interested.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

If the Celts give him a shorter deal for a larger average annual value, I'm sure he'd be interested.
That'd also make him a solid trade asset as well if things didn't work out.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

3 years at $6 million per would be $18 million so the Celtics would be paying Ray $9 million a season for two years to match it.

I'd rather overpay Ray for two seasons than conceded a third year.