Author Topic: Funny thing last night  (Read 6753 times)

Re: Funny thing last night
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think it was a really big game for both teams.  the difference was that i think the lakers had a little more motivation since we beat them in the finals.  lets not kid ourselves though, this was not "just one game" for the celtics either.  it was a big game for them too.  i think the celts will have a lot of motivation the next time we play the lakers and it should be a great game!

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »

Offline cjtheman

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think it was clearly a MUCH bigger game for the Lakers than it was for the C's.  They had been waiting for this game for a long time.  The thing is though, they have been preparing for this game for weeks if not months.  The Celtics had not really seen this year's Laker team and were clearly not as prepared or hyped as LA - especially whereas the C's have a game tonight which means just as much as yesterday's and LA sits for a couple days.  Plus it will give the C's extra motivation to start a new streak!  Maybe they will win the next 52 and go 79-3   ;D

See I really don't buy this, i can see where you are coming from and why you would say this. But to deny that the celtics players did not feel the magnitude of this game (for a regular season game) would be slightly disrespectful to your players.
The next biggest game on your schedule is against us.
However you want to spin it, the most interesting and most exciting game that is played in the NBA right now is Lakers Celtics..
Now, lets not also forget the Celtics had a 19 game winning streak, do you really think the players wanted this to end.. especially to the lakers????! I find that impossible to believe.

And as for the C's not being ready because they haven't seen the lakers play.. again, completely untrue. Other than Bynums length and Ariza's health the Lakers are not THAT much different to the team you beat in the finals a few months ago.  And at the end of the day its basketball you can only be so prepared for one team, being prepared is less than half the work the execution is the most important thing.

Look im not being a bigheaded Lakers fan and saying, we are the best blah blah blah but I'm saying don't downplay the event. Don't act like you didn't pay more attention for this game, and don't act like the next matchup against us Is already on your minds and that you can't wait to clobber us.. This is what this rivalry is all about and to say that this game mattered more to one team than to the other does it a disservice.

One more point, I was in the building yesterday and trust me you couldn't be there and not feel that energy and playoff atmosphere. And it will be exactly the same when we see you in Feb.
Chris

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 01:57:01 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I think it was clearly a MUCH bigger game for the Lakers than it was for the C's.  They had been waiting for this game for a long time.  The thing is though, they have been preparing for this game for weeks if not months.  The Celtics had not really seen this year's Laker team and were clearly not as prepared or hyped as LA - especially whereas the C's have a game tonight which means just as much as yesterday's and LA sits for a couple days.  Plus it will give the C's extra motivation to start a new streak!  Maybe they will win the next 52 and go 79-3   ;D

See I really don't buy this, i can see where you are coming from and why you would say this. But to deny that the celtics players did not feel the magnitude of this game (for a regular season game) would be slightly disrespectful to your players.
However you want to spin it, the most interesting and most exciting game that is played in the NBA right now is Lakers Celtics..
Now, lets not also forget the Celtics had a 19 game winning streak, do you really think the players wanted this to end.. especially to the lakers????! I find that impossible to believe.

And as for the C's not being ready because they haven't seen the lakers play.. again, completely untrue. Other than Bynums length and Ariza's health the Lakers are not THAT much different to the team you beat in the finals a few months ago.  And at the end of the day its basketball you can only be so prepared for one team, being prepared is less than half the work the execution is the most important thing.

Look im not being a bigheaded Lakers fan and saying, we are the best blah blah blah but I'm saying don't downplay the event. Don't act like you didn't pay more attention for this game, and don't act like the next matchup against us Is already on your minds and that you can't wait to clobber us.. This is what this rivalry is all about and to say that this game mattered more to one team than to the other does it a disservice.

One more point, I was in the building yesterday and trust me you couldn't be there and not feel that energy and playoff atmosphere. And it will be exactly the same when we see you in Feb.
Chris

this is very well said.  respectful and insightful lakers fans do exist.  id give you a tommy point, but my membership to celtic nation forbids it.  welcome to the blog

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
at least they learned not to put balloons up there
Yup

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Chris

A well spoken and informed lakers fan?!? I'm not sure i can take having a good Cavs and lakers basketball guy on the blog!

you and Mac are breaking the 4th wall  ;)

Kidding aside, welcome to the blog, hope you keep posting, always good to debate with other fans who can talk basketball and not "blarrrgg you guyz are tha suxzors!!!" like most people who stop by.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281

Chris

Clearly, I am not going to tell you that this game wasn't more important than most others because it was the Lakers and because it was the end of the C's winning streak.  I will tell you though, that it was bigger for the Lakers for many reasons - the Lakers nnede this game to prove to the NBA that they belong on the court with the Celtics.  If the Lakers had lost this game, the Celtics would've already been crowned the champ - now L.A. will be the favorite (which is OK w/me). 
    The Celtics stuck with their normal rotation in this game i.e. Big Baby, TA, etc because they have another game tonight.  Phil Jackson played this game like it WAS a playoff game....because he knew thay had to win this game for his team's mental health.  Kobe probably would've already asked to be traded by now if they had lost  :D.
    I have no excuses for the Celtics in that game.  We played like crap and the Lakers won.  So be it.  We are 27-3.  The thing is that if you have watched the C's this year, you know that Rondo is the man who makes things happen for the green.  Yesterday, he was very timid as compared to how he usually is.  That, to me, was the key to the loss.  I still believe strongly that on both teams best day, the C's win by 12-15 points.  We'll see who's there in June....
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.