Author Topic: Before We all Overreact...  (Read 4421 times)

Before We all Overreact...
« on: December 25, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Let's remember a few things:

- We were never going to win 80 games this year. We will end up with 10-15 losses this year and that was a predictable one.

- The NBA shafted the defending champs by giving them this in their building in order for them to be able to continue with the LA Boston thing. Had it been in our house and we beat them yet again it wouldn't keep the same intensity and drama.

- LA had a lot more to play for than we did. They lose this one and they lose all confidence.

- They got to sleep in their own beds, have Christmas morning with their family...

- They played as well as they possibly could. We didn't.

We can learn a few things from this game. We do have some bench deficiencies. Our starters are better than theirs. Their bench is better. Breathe everyone! A couple tweaks and they won't have a chance any more than the rest of the league does.

Re: Before We all Overreact...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
it was just one game.  it sucks that we lost, but the reality is, it was just one game.

we need to cut down on the turnovers, and we need to improve our bench.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
it was just one game.  it sucks that we lost, but the reality is, it was just one game.

we need to cut down on the turnovers, and we need to improve our bench.
This game reminded me of game three of the finals and the game against Denver this year. Sloppy play and poor execution in the last few minutes.

We absolutely do need to cut down the turnovers. We're a good offensive team. If we didn't turn it over so much, we'd be a great offensive team.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
we're still one player away...

i'm a bit concerned that this team is good enough to kill the bad teams but lacks that one key bench player against the great teams.

the nba, across the board, is just dreadful.  honestly, i'm not sure just how good this team is because it's hard to gauge their competition.

i don't consider this an overreaction, just an observation.  we still need that one player...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
100% agree with that thought. I think our biggest need on the bench at this point quite honestly is a guy who can create his own shot vs. a big defender. Powe got NO shots this game and I blame a lot of that on the backcourt not being able to get him the ball. I thought TA might be that guy as the season started, but he is regressing more and more into bad Tony. 3 more turnovers tonight and I think the stat guy missed another. He did pick up 3 quick baskets that did help, but wasn't good for the majority of the night. Defense was solid. He just isn't very dependable. If Marbury wasn't such a cancer I think he'd really help the 2nd unit. We'll come up with something though!

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
What were the ratings for this game tonight?. A bunch of pals who barely watch BBall were textin me about it which was surprising, so i'm guessing this Celt-Laker thing was doing it's job and bringing in the viewers.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One thing about the scheduling: the NBA doesn't put its Xmas games in LA because they want the Lakers to win (though I'm sure they don't mind) - they do it because they want to be able to show a bunch of celebrities at the game and rake in more revenue.  How much money do you think the league and ABC got from that sponsorship/blatant advertisement "interview" for that idiotic Mall Cop movie?  Think they'd've gotten the same price for a game in Boston where they can't prominently feature the star of the movie during the telecast?  The Lakers hosting isn't about Ws, it's about $s, as it always is.

That said, I was embarrassed for the league during this game - the worst aspects of the current state of the NBA were front and center: a focus on individuals and "storylines" over team play, shameless sucking up to sponsors and B-list celebrities, and absolutely atrocious and inconsistent officiating.  The Lakers didn't show me a thing tonight other than that they are a top-3 team with a deep bench who struggle with consistency and defensive effort. 

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
One thing about the scheduling: the NBA doesn't put its Xmas games in LA because they want the Lakers to win (though I'm sure they don't mind) - they do it because they want to be able to show a bunch of celebrities at the game and rake in more revenue.  How much money do you think the league and ABC got from that sponsorship/blatant advertisement "interview" for that idiotic Mall Cop movie?  Think they'd've gotten the same price for a game in Boston where they can't prominently feature the star of the movie during the telecast?  The Lakers hosting isn't about Ws, it's about $s, as it always is.

That said, I was embarrassed for the league during this game - the worst aspects of the current state of the NBA were front and center: a focus on individuals and "storylines" over team play, shameless sucking up to sponsors and B-list celebrities, and absolutely atrocious and inconsistent officiating.  The Lakers didn't show me a thing tonight other than that they are a top-3 team with a deep bench who struggle with consistency and defensive effort. 

Most of that is true, however if the Lakers win there is a buildup of the rivalry which equals more money. I don't think they want anything other than money, but they need this to be a close race to bring in as many viewers as possible. If they wanted to get the publicity for the film they could have flown those two to Boston.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139

i'm a bit concerned that this team is good enough to kill the bad teams but lacks that one key bench player against the great teams.

the nba, across the board, is just dreadful.  honestly, i'm not sure just how good this team is because it's hard to gauge their competition.

i don't consider this an overreaction, just an observation.  we still need that one player...

You make it sound like there are 6 good teams and 24 OKC caliber teams. Well, I do think there are 12 weak teams out there we have no business losing any games to. Then there are 12 mediocre teams and 6 good ones.

Celtics had turnovers and bad rotations that killed our chances tonight. Lakers wanted this game more than we did. Their fans show no love for the Celtics or the City of Boston. Lakers won - Glory and Hallalujah - We'll sock it to them when it counts the most.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
My biggest concern with this game is that it proves our bench is not ready for the playoffs. We need a FA or a trade. The Lakers are much deeper than we are. We need some kind of perimeter player that plays the sf to replace Posey or at least some kind of shooter that can create for himself. We also need length in the front court.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

You make it sound like there are 6 good teams and 24 OKC caliber teams. Well, I do think there are 12 weak teams out there we have no business losing any games to. Then there are 12 mediocre teams and 6 good ones.

Celtics had turnovers and bad rotations that killed our chances tonight. Lakers wanted this game more than we did. Their fans show no love for the Celtics or the City of Boston. Lakers won - Glory and Hallalujah - We'll sock it to them when it counts the most.

well, everyone made the pacers out to be the next dynamo early in the season...check the standings lately and see where they are?

all i'm saying is that the nba is a bad league full of poor teams.  the celtics are a varsity team playing in a (mostly) junior varsity league...the problem stems when we face a team like the lakers who are deeper than we are and can match us talent-for-talent.

i'm not trying to paint a gloomy picture...not at all.  i'm just saying i don't know how good we really are because you can't really gauge the talent in the league.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Well, the best thing is that the team will have this loss for fuel in the playoffs. Mtivation is a powerful weapon.

Additionally it will show DA, Wyc and Co. that they do need to add a playa.

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

well, everyone made the pacers out to be the next dynamo early in the season...check the standings lately and see where they are?

all i'm saying is that the nba is a bad league full of poor teams.  the celtics are a varsity team playing in a (mostly) junior varsity league...the problem stems when we face a team like the lakers who are deeper than we are and can match us talent-for-talent.

i'm not trying to paint a gloomy picture...not at all.  i'm just saying i don't know how good we really are because you can't really gauge the talent in the league.

Explain "much deeper" and if so, what that huge advantage is.  Odam, Vujacic, and Ariza primarily played off the bench, and Odom was basically a 1/2 starter along with Walton, so where is all this far superior depth?  And in a playoff setting, the amount/depth of bench players is really not as important as key bench players, and in this area, I think the Celts are still searching.  I am confident though they will make a key addition before the year is through, as they did last year.  But as far as depth goes, even adding in Farmar who did not play, last years Finals showed that having 1-7 better bench players if they played each other in a game, does not necessarily mean winning the series.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 11:22:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

how did the hornets, jazz, cavs, rockets, raptors, detroit, and  orlando do against us?

I mean, i hate that we lost tonight to, and i agree we need to add to the bench (which we will) but honestly, its not like we often lose to the so called better teams in the league like you seem to be hinting at.

We lost 2 one elite team (lakers) on good team (denver) and one meh team (indiana) tell me when we lose a few in a row and good teams really start to take advantage of this lack of depth, so far we spank good teams pretty regular.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 01:00:45 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I agree that we need to improve the bench. A big like Deke, PJ or Smith would be one piece. Another SF or somebody who can consistantly score is the other. I shudder to say this but maybe Marbury would be a plus for the second unit. Going another way perhaps Pruitt is a better option than House due to his ability to establish the offense more.