Author Topic: What is aggravating about tonight's game!  (Read 4964 times)

Re: What is aggravating about tonight's game!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I also had to wait to watch this game.  My wife's aunt called right after the game to talk about it and got out how exciting it was before I was able to stop her right away to tell her I hadn't seen it yet.  It led me to believe that the C's at least won.  What a Christmas letdown!  What was she thinking?!  Don't call me when they lose to the Lakers after the best start ever!!  Sorry everyone, I had to vent and this is probably the best place to do it!

Oh, and the refs seemed pretty atrocious tonight.  Tommy would have been screaming about one trip to the line in the first half.

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm not one to usually complain about calls in games, pretty much ever.  But some of those were awful.  The Tony Allen offensive foul when Derek Fisher slid under him and had a foot in the restricted area was probably the worst in my opinion.  The double foul on Fisher and Allen was a bailout too- should've been a 3 point play opportunity for the Celts with Ray going to the line.  And then the jump ball play where Allen had to jump against Kobe was ridiculous.  And then Paul Pierce gets called for a violation after I believe Allen won the jump?

Granted there may have been some on the Celtics that I missed but those ones in particular were ridiculous.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The game was tied with 2:48 to go.  The C's couldn't stop Gasol, and they couldn't get a decent offensive possession.  Yes there were some crap calls, but I don't remember any of them coming in the final 2:48. 

The game was there for the taking and the Lakers took it. 

Not a game you can blame on the refs (suck as they did)
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 11:32:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Losers complain about the refs. We ain't losers, so stop complaining.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 11:37:36 PM »

Offline Vineet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
Anybody got a count on the offensive fouls called against each team. It had to be the biggest difference in the game, seemed like every time down the court, we'd get a foul called. Can't remember one offensive foul against them

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 11:56:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Anybody got a count on the offensive fouls called against each team. It had to be the biggest difference in the game, seemed like every time down the court, we'd get a foul called. Can't remember one offensive foul against them

I just counted it off the game log at 6-0, but my eyes starting to get a little tired. 

Try yourself, maybe I missed one...

http://www.nba.com/games/20081225/BOSLAL/playbyplay.html
Yup

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »

Offline NBAJ2K

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
I also had to wait to watch this game.  My wife's aunt called right after the game to talk about it and got out how exciting it was before I was able to stop her right away to tell her I hadn't seen it yet.  It led me to believe that the C's at least won.  What a Christmas letdown!  What was she thinking?!  Don't call me when they lose to the Lakers after the best start ever!!  Sorry everyone, I had to vent and this is probably the best place to do it!

Oh, and the refs seemed pretty atrocious tonight.  Tommy would have been screaming about one trip to the line in the first half.

I was at Christmas at my gfs, turned all forms of communication off so when we got back to our place I could watch the game that we taped.  I sat down to watch it, literally about to hit play, my house phone rang, I thought it was my parents who were coming over to watch the game as well, I saw on the caller ID it was my cousin who is a lakers fan, which meant the Celtics had lost.

Talk about being depressed watching the game.....

I had to hold it in the whole time watching knowing that they lost.

Sorry, just thought I'd vent a lil myself....

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 12:36:35 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The aggravating thing to me was the one sided officiating. Worst I've seen since WCF 2002 Game 6.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 01:24:39 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
The officiating was downright awful. The big steal where Ariza got the dunk? Fisher blatantly fouled Pierce... no call.

But the really aggravating thing about this game? People will point to the free throw differential as an excuse for the officials and say "see? not THAT BAD", because the Lakers only shot eight more free throws than the Celtics. The problem with that analysis is that it does not take into account the fact that the difference was 16 attempts for the Lakers to 8 attempts for the C's. That's DOUBLE. In a game lost by (I think) eight points, we shot eight less free throws. Hmmmm....

Also, a 6-0 offensive foul count. 6-0. And the majority of the calls were complete bull (see: Derek Fisher shuffling his feet, leaning in on TA, and planting one foot in the circle, only to draw a sympathetic whistle from Steve "Yes Phil, whatever you say" Javie).

There was also Rondo's "hook", which is a rule that bothers me even when it is properly enforced. But in this case, Rondo didn't even stick his arm out. There was literally nothing to call. He spun baseline, went up for the dunk, and got fouled. But no, the Celtics were on a run, and we can't have that. We need this to be a rivalry so we can rake in in the dough! Offensive Foul!

The comforting thing?

We played terrible basketball and still managed to hang with the Lakers, who played with more passion and intensity than I have ever seen from them. Pau Gasol's Eurotrash half-beard was fairly glistening with intensity when he completed that easy and one. It was a sight to behold. And we really only lost it in the last 2 and a half minutes. This loss will ultimately be good for the C's, and I expect us to lay waste to rest of the league for quite a while after this, because we are NOT the quitting type of team. 
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »

Offline Bryant24MVP

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
The aggravating thing to me was the one sided officiating. Worst I've seen since WCF 2002 Game 6.
You must have missed game 2 of the finals last year.  FTs, Bos-38 LA-10

For all you complaining about the poor officiating.

Kobe - 0, that's right 0 FTs.  When's the last time that happened.  The Lakers should be complaining to the league office.

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Kobe - 0, that's right 0 FTs.  When's the last time that happened.  The Lakers should be complaining to the league office.

TP

It is pathetic when fans pick and choose plays to try to portray their teams as unfair victims when they lose. Definitely a loser move. Particularly asinine is the argument that the refs are against a team whenever they get less foul calls. That's desperation logic.

All that mattered last night was being outplayed in the last 3 minutes. It happens. It is one game out of 82.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

November 18th vs the Bulls

Also happened twice in the regular season last year, and once in the playoffs (he had 1 free throw attempt total in consecutive games in the Spurs series)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:52:12 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »

Offline Bryant24MVP

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
^^and Chicago and San Antonio weren't crying about the officiating.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'm aggravated we don't have any animal look-alikes on the Warriors.

God bless and good night!