Author Topic: Good Job TA  (Read 2070 times)

Good Job TA
« on: December 24, 2008, 11:18:21 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Tony has played well lately. You can see the confidence returning. .Well Done and keep it up.

Re: Good Job TA
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 01:13:30 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
He needs to stop complaining to the refs so much, looks bad when he has no case and then he'll have a tough time gettin' calls down the road.  But overall, TA's lookin good.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 07:38:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think people should be overly critical of TA at this point.  He makes a small salary and he is playing very well in a moderate bench role- something nobody was sure he could do.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Boy was I wrong about TA.  At the end of last year I thought for sure, and hoped, that TA was done with the C's.  Then when Danny signed him in the off season - I was none too happy.

Tony has a lot to improve on but for a player coming off the bench he has done a pretty good job this year.  As long as he doesn't try to dribble through 2 or more players and just keeps trying to drive to the basket, I like him a lot.  He plays very good D and he dishes/passes real well.  I know Tony has a lot to improve on, but he's playing a lot better than I ever thought he would again.  He'll never be as good as he was 2 years ago at this time but he's come back maybe 80% of what he was physically and he's better mentally.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
tony does seem to be playing smarter basketball this year and his turn overs are down, which helps the team.

his other numbers are down so far from 2006-07 (his best year), but hopefully that means he will be even better as this season moves on.

2006-07
min  24.23
pts 11.5
rbs  3.8
ast  1.7
to   2.3

min  19.41
pts   8.3
rbs  2.1
ast  1.3
to  1.6

but he is still inconsistent on offense it seems. he recent scores from the past 10 games are...
4, 11, 10, 4, 1, 3, 10, 12, 0, 0.

really erractic. the celtic bench, to me, lacks a consistent scorer. i hope allen can become that scorer.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I agree that he is playing overall better than he did last year and helps our second unit, especially on defense, but he has started turning the ball over more and more as the season has progressed. He is averaging last years 2.3 per game in December, including the last 3 games at 4,4, and 3. I think Tony has a little trouble staying within his abilities, and when things start going well he pushes it more than he has the ball handing skills to do so. This has also translated into some bad games shooting this past month going from an excellent 53% in Nov down to 44% in Dec.

I think you are right overall, but I think he is starting to return to the bad Tony that we hope had gone away. This post was dead on 3 weeks ago though. Let's hope he has someone in his ear reminding him what he is doing different. Especially today! We could use him out there on Kobe at times.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
but he is still inconsistent on offense it seems. he recent scores from the past 10 games are...

really erractic.

Yeah, that's Tony Allen most consistent trait, inconsistency. Tonight he took 9 shots to score 6 points and added 3 turnovers (and I think the scorekeeper may have missed another one or two). I have no idea how can some fans be comfortable with the idea of having a player like this, with the ability to impact negatively games so frequently as the 6th man and the only wing bench player. In 7 games series, this kind of players are often deadly for their own team. Oh well... some people keep guaranteeing that he'll improve, so let's wait for it.

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 08:36:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

really erractic.

Yeah, that's Tony Allen most consistent trait, inconsistency. Tonight he took 9 shots to score 6 points and added 3 turnovers (and I think the scorekeeper may have missed another one or two). I have no idea how can some fans be comfortable with the idea of having a player like this, with the ability to impact negatively games so frequently as the 6th man and the only wing bench player. In 7 games series, this kind of players are often deadly for their own team. Oh well... some people keep guaranteeing that he'll improve, so let's wait for it.
I don't really have a problem with his play tonight except for not hustling for the ball when it was slapped free and he touched it. That charge was a bad call.

Overall though I agree with your assessment. I'd like someone who will fulfill his role off the bench regularly. Still I'm not sure what other options we had/have.