Author Topic: Is O'Bryant that bad?  (Read 13809 times)

Is O'Bryant that bad?
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I didn't think he looked that bad early on playing when Perk was on the mend. Now Davis is out for a few games and Doc says this is where it really hurts not having another big. Yet I don't think that O'Bryant will get any playing time. Is he really that bad? If he is, why is he still around? I understand he's somewhat of a project, but when someone is injured you need someone who can at least step in for a few games.
I'm just wondering what others who maybe have seen more of him think.

Re: Is O'Bryant that bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The poor kid is really weak on the defensive end.  Rondo could probably push him out of the paint.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Yeah, he's that bad. Just watch him during warm-ups or shootaround or even on the bench. The guy just has this lackadaisical nature about him...no heart at all, you can tell just by looking at him. He's coasted by on natural ability his whole life. He just doesn't want to be a better player.

To me, he looks like Michael Olowakandi part II. Great physical gifts, but just doesn't give a crap.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:50 PM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Okay, i have to agree that he doesn't appear to be the most intense guy I've seen. But in his very limited playing time he has an average of 1.5 rebounds in 4 minutes per game. On the other hand Scal averages less then 1 rebound in 10 minutes. I know that's only one stat, but with Davis out, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who could at least get a few rebounds and also looks like he has a little bit of offense around the hoop? I'm probably wrong, but a front line of Powe, TA, and Scal just doesn't seem big enough to compete.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Sadly, the Notorious POB is that Bad. He has a very difficult time keeping guys out of the paint. He also trys to do to much when he gets on the floor. He doesn't let the game come to him. I know he wants to impress the coaches, but c'mon Bro, play within yourself. You don't have to try and block every shot taken within 10 feet of you.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:22:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The only way you will be able to see if there is any progression with POB is actual playing time with some decent minutes  at  prime time of a game.I would like to see if he is getting any better before making judgements.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No, he's not that bad. He's a bit too weak physically, and bit lost defensively. Not ready to play, but not a lost cause either.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've noticed 2 things. First, he seems to have a high offensive basketball IQ. Secondly, standing side by side, KG is taller. Now that does not mean POB is not a legit 7 footer, but that KG might be 7'2. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He needs a kick in the ass but I think he's a good project.  I like his offense handle and he seems to do well enough on the defensive boards.  I'd like to see him get 5 minutes a game (thats it) while Davis is out.  Lets see what he can do in that time.  If Davis is going to be out for a bit I'm all for bringing up Walker for sf and let scal do some pf.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yeah, he's pretty brutal. He has some offense, but he strikes me as a Mark Blount type who fumbles passes easily and seemingly just doesn't care. At least with Big Baby, he might play poorly, but you know you're not receiving anything short of maximum effort from him (at least defensively and on the boards). O'Bryant seems either too tentative or apathetic. Plus the shots he takes are ones I generally see only go in during garbage time when defenses aren't exactly manning him up.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yeah, he's pretty brutal. He has some offense, but he strikes me as a Mark Blount type who fumbles passes easily and seemingly just doesn't care. At least with Big Baby, he might play poorly, but you know you're not receiving anything short of maximum effort from him (at least defensively and on the boards). O'Bryant seems either too tentative or apathetic. Plus the shots he takes are ones I generally see only go in during garbage time when defenses aren't exactly manning him up.

The only thing him and Mark share is their demeanor. POB rebounds, and has shown great hands. His problem seems to be holding his own down low. He probably looks like crap in practice when Powe, and BBD are just pushing him around. He's probably to soft to play on this team at the moment.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56

The only thing him and Mark share is their demeanor. POB rebounds, and has shown great hands. His problem seems to be holding his own down low. He probably looks like crap in practice when Powe, and BBD are just pushing him around. He's probably to soft to play on this team at the moment.
POB's hands are great? Really??

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3180
He looks like he's still getting use to being 7 foot tall. I think he might be a player, if he works hard, in about 3 years.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Okay, i have to agree that he doesn't appear to be the most intense guy I've seen. But in his very limited playing time he has an average of 1.5 rebounds in 4 minutes per game. On the other hand Scal averages less then 1 rebound in 10 minutes. I know that's only one stat, but with Davis out, wouldn't it be nice to have someone who could at least get a few rebounds and also looks like he has a little bit of offense around the hoop? I'm probably wrong, but a front line of Powe, TA, and Scal just doesn't seem big enough to compete.

The rebound stat could be misleading.  POB plays in garbage time.  Nobody really gives the fight for rebounds that they would in a regular game situation.  Im not saying Patty is a bad rebounder Im just saying you shouldnt rely on stats accumulated during garbage time to form an opinion on someones game.
Greg

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Yeah, he's that bad. Just watch him during warm-ups or shootaround or even on the bench. The guy just has this lackadaisical nature about him...no heart at all, you can tell just by looking at him. He's coasted by on natural ability his whole life. He just doesn't want to be a better player.

To me, he looks like Michael Olowakandi part II. Great physical gifts, but just doesn't give a crap.
I know that he's been known for this, but I don't think it's fair to make a statment like that. In all honesty, you can't really tell what someone is thinking or how hard someone is trying by just looking at him. Saying that a guy is having problems staying up to speed and giving max effort all the time on defense is very different from striaght up accusing the guy of having no heart, and saying he doesn't want to get better.

For the record, when they show the Celtics bench on camera, O'Bryant always looks like he's into the game mentally, arguing with calls, offering encouragement, and standing up when the Celtics score.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!