Author Topic: Is O'Bryant that bad?  (Read 13747 times)

Re: Is O'Bryant that bad?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
From what ive heared though the grapevine, Patrick should actualy be one of the hardest workers right now together with Perk' and they are rumored to be working overtime every night after practice to get better at each others game and when were the last time anyone heared any reports from Doc or the Celtics commententing on Patricks lack of effort? i havnt seen one in a long time now.

Patrick has incredible gifts when it comes to playing basketball but he has suffered being a young guy under Don Nelson, in Boston he isnt being treated as a doormat by his teammates and the Celtics wont give up on him and let him root on the end of the bench like the Warriors did and you can see that by the commitment by Kevin and Perk both in timeouts at game time and what little we hear from practices.

Im most likely one of the very few to belive this on this board but i firmly believe we will see something most didt expect next year from Patrick, this year he wont have an impact as the psychial aspect of his game has not been tended to when he were with the Warriors and i scratch that down to a bad enviroment for young players, especialy bigs.

Edit: Just try to be in Patricks shoes during his tenure with the warriors? that must have been a living hell to endure that kind of treatment from both your teammates, coach and orginasation and its one of the arguments i hold on to when passing judgement on Patricks work effort, i do belive you would have seen a different O'Bryant had he come into this league with a team who actualy gave a [dang] about him.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 06:30:12 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
From what ive heared though the grapevine, Patrick should actualy be one of the hardest workers right now together with Perk' and they are rumored to be working overtime every night after practice to get better at each others game and when were the last time anyone heared any reports from Doc or the Celtics commententing on Patricks lack of effort? i havnt seen one in a long time now.

Patrick has incredible gifts when it comes to playing basketball but he has suffered being a young guy under Don Nelson, in Boston he isnt being treated as a doormat by his teammates and the Celtics wont give up on him and let him root on the end of the bench like the Warriors did and you can see that by the commitment by Kevin and Perk both in timeouts at game time and what little we hear from practices.

Im most likely one of the very few to belive this on this board but i firmly believe we will see something most didt expect next year from Patrick, this year he wont have an impact as the psychial aspect of his game has not been tended to when he were with the Warriors and i scratch that down to a bad enviroment for young players, especialy bigs.

Edit: Just try to be in Patricks shoes during his tenure with the warriors? that must have been a living hell to endure that kind of treatment from both your teammates, coach and orginasation and its one of the arguments i hold on to when passing judgement on Patricks work effort, i do belive you would have seen a different O'Bryant had he come into this league with a team who actualy gave a [dang] about him.
I'm not convinced he'll ever pan out, but I do believe that people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about him. Are they in his head? Are they present at team practices? If you don't actually know how hard O'Bryant works, then you shouldn't be crticizing him.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
he's a prospect, at this point he's no worse then any other underdeveloped C?

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I'm not convinced he'll ever pan out, but I do believe that people shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about him. Are they in his head? Are they present at team practices? If you don't actually know how hard O'Bryant works, then you shouldn't be crticizing him.

And is it okay to jump on conclusions about Don Nelson and the Warriors coaching staff?

It was POB himself that admitted he wasn't working hard. He was making millions of dollars and he wasn't working hard. And now the culprits are the Warriors organization, the coach and his teammates?

POB is a bad player and this is not jumping on conclusions. Garnett is an excellent player and this is not jumping on conclusions.

Patrick has incredible gifts when it comes to playing basketball

Like what?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:01:21 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

And is it okay to jump on conclusions about Don Nelson and the Warriors coaching staff?

It was POB himself that admitted he wasn't working hard. He was making millions of dollars and he wasn't working hard. And now the culprits are the Warriors organization, the coach and his teammates?

POB is a bad player and this is not jumping on conclusions. Garnett is an excellent player and this is not jumping on conclusions.

Like what?
That "incredible gifts" quote is not from me. I never said that. Nor have I jumped to any conclusions about Don Nelson and the Warriors. All I'm saying is that no one should be assuming POB isn't working hard right now, in a Celtics uniform, because this should a considered a second chance and a fresh start, and no one has any proof that he hasn't been working his but off.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 07:40:08 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Like what?

Don Nelson isn't as stupid as some on this board wanted him to be, re: Paddy O'Blount.

The facts are pretty clear: Paddy was a lazy, ambivalent collegian who rode a couple of good NCAA tourney games to a draft choice his terrible work ethic never deserved. He washed out on the left coast and he's washing out here.

No harm, no foul. Danny didn't invest a lot in the gamble, and he lost. Time to move on, get a competent 5 in here and quit trying to make chicken salad out of, uh, something less.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I actually think Paddy has the skills to be a good center, but he just doesn't look physically ready.  He is very skinny and doesn't possess great strength. 

His jumper has nice touch, and he appears to be pretty athletic - but he just gets tossed out of the way against anyone he plays against.  Dude just isn't strong enough to play at this level yet.

If we weren't gunning for 18, I would keep him around, but I think it is indeed time to cut him loose and open up PJ's roster spot.  Props to Coach Bo for calling this one early on. 

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Like what?
That "incredible gifts" quote is not from me. I never said that. Nor have I jumped to any conclusions about Don Nelson and the Warriors. All I'm saying is that no one should be assuming POB isn't working hard right now, in a Celtics uniform, because this should a considered a second chance and a fresh start, and no one has any proof that he hasn't been working his but off.

You're right, the way I posted makes it look like it's your quote; I apologize and I corrected it. I also agree that one can't assume he's not working hard now. I was just following up your point with the obvious questions: it's not fair to make conclusions about Nelson and his staff either, especially when POB himself recognized to be lazy when there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:00:46 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I totally agree that this guy is not strong enough for the NBA. That is his biggest problem. He is weak from top to bottom. Now, if this were two years ago and we were on an 18 game losing streak, I might be saying throw him in th fire every night to see what he can become. But, right now, I say throw him to the FA market if we can get a veteran replacement to win a championship. We do not have room, right now, to play a guy that needs this much seasoning and still try to win a championship. The other option is to release Cassell and make him a coach. I wouldn't be upset either way.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I totally agree that this guy is not strong enough for the NBA. That is his biggest problem. He is weak from top to bottom. Now, if this were two years ago and we were on an 18 game losing streak, I might be saying throw him in th fire every night to see what he can become. But, right now, I say throw him to the FA market if we can get a veteran replacement to win a championship. We do not have room, right now, to play a guy that needs this much seasoning and still try to win a championship. The other option is to release Cassell and make him a coach. I wouldn't be upset either way.

You can work on getting stronger.  You can't teach 7 feet.  He has some offensive skill, and the defense may come, or it may not, but I do think POB will be at least a bench player sometime in this league.

I also have respect for a man that gave 100 gifts to the hospital and wrapped each one himself. 

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
In the short time I've seen him play (in garbage time) he's looked sharp. A few blocks and his offense is great- he's hit mid range shots and multiple hook shots. He's also is extremely athletic.... i say we give him a chance. But then again, Doc is a coach hesitant on rookies.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I don't think he's that bad...he's just not that good.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline phaze

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4

Looks like he has a little bit of touch, but I think he needs to get a lot stronger before he's a player.

If he can get to the point where he plays decent D, grabs defensive boards, and can hit a fallaway now and then, he'll be OK.

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i'd like to see him and the kandiman race...

honest to goodness, i've never seen a guy look like his feet were in cement more than POB...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 11:12:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
O'Bryant has skill. He is very young, and very tall, and pretty athletic. It would be disappointing to me if he were cut to make roster room for Mutombo or PJ, but that is what I fear will happen.