Author Topic: doc quote pic\roll + where is MikeDNP?!?!  (Read 4976 times)

doc quote pic\roll + where is MikeDNP?!?!
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_12_23_Childhood_idol_drives_Rajon_Rondo/

Doc's quote “He reminds me of the way the game was played 15 or 20 years ago,” coach Doc Rivers, pointing back to his own era as a player, said of Rondo. “This is the way point guards played back then. When he runs the pick and roll, he’s not thinking of how he can score. He’s looking for the way to run the team in the best way possible. On the first timeout (Sunday) he asked if he was running the pick and roll too much, and I asked him, ‘Are we scoring every time? So keep doing it.’ ”

So Doc is finally supporting Rondo running the high pic and roll and its working!! Ok isn't this what Mike has been waiting for the past 3 years...  Mike from DNP  where are you?!   
Havn't we both been waiting for this moment?
I am siked.  The high pic and roll with rondo destroyed the KNicks, hopefully this is a sign that more will come.  Its so nice to hear Doc encouraging Rondo to run it multiple times!!   
this is what you were waiting for isn't it MIKE?! dnp   

Re: doc quote pic\roll + where is MikeDNP?!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have been wondering for a while now where Mike from DNP went.

I would caution though concluding that these same plays would have had the same result when Mike was calling for them. Rondo has improved his finishing greatly this season. He no longer does crazy spin on every shot

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have been wondering for a while now where Mike from DNP went.

I would caution though concluding that these same plays would have had the same result when Mike was calling for them. Rondo has improved his finishing greatly this season. He no longer does crazy spin on every shot

And that's not even the important thing. Rondo's confidence, improvement in his decision making, and aggressiveness are more imporant to the success of the pick and roll wether he can make layups or not.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The staff's policy is that we don't comment on the absence of members, and we ask that members respect each other's privacy and not speculate on their whereabouts.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i thought he was hired by the nba as their chief statistician...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo is a beast.

...that is all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:27:01 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Due to Roy's post about Celticsblog policy, all I can say is this:

Rondilla

Use your imagination from there.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Banks didn't have the vision or instincts to decide on the drive what exactly to do with the ball. In fairness to Marcus, I think decisions on the fly like that; Who and how to kick the ball to, or to finish, are instinctive more than cerebral. People seemed to chalk Banks's flaws up to laziness, selfishness, or just plain stupidity. I didn't believe that.

West and Greene, aside from lacking speed, didn't have "it" either. West, to me, is a 2 guard in a point guards body. Hes a perfect fit along side Lebron. He was destined to wind up there.

Telfair was the closest thing to true point guard after Rondo, but couldn't finish at the rim or play D.

I don't think Doc had an epiphany about how to run the offense, but it has had more to do with personnel issues and Rondo's maturation.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_12_23_Childhood_idol_drives_Rajon_Rondo/

Doc's quote “He reminds me of the way the game was played 15 or 20 years ago,” coach Doc Rivers, pointing back to his own era as a player, said of Rondo. “This is the way point guards played back then. When he runs the pick and roll, he’s not thinking of how he can score. He’s looking for the way to run the team in the best way possible. On the first timeout (Sunday) he asked if he was running the pick and roll too much, and I asked him, ‘Are we scoring every time? So keep doing it.’ ”

So Doc is finally supporting Rondo running the high pic and roll and its working!! Ok isn't this what Mike has been waiting for the past 3 years...  Mike from DNP  where are you?!   
Havn't we both been waiting for this moment?
I am siked.  The high pic and roll with rondo destroyed the KNicks, hopefully this is a sign that more will come.  Its so nice to hear Doc encouraging Rondo to run it multiple times!!   
this is what you were waiting for isn't it MIKE?! dnp   
I heard Doc in an interview or read a short while back that Rondo will sometimes look to Doc to call a play and Doc waves him off. He wants Rondo to run the offense. This just didn't happen overnite. Doc has taught, Rondo has listened (and sometimes argued), and Danny has surrounded him with the perfect players that are letting him (Rondo) develop into one of the best REAL point guards the league has seen. It's great to be a part of seeing this happen, both to the individual player and the Team.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Rondo seems to be getting the hoop at will for layups lately. This should open up things up for the other players and make the starting lineup into a scoring machine. It seems like the Celtics average close to 30 points in the opening quarter anyway.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 12:59:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
yeah i was wondering bout that too.. MikeDNP was rondo's biggest supporter even when he wasnt playing that well. when rondo started playing really well it seems mike has disappeared.(around the time sam was signed) i guess he became rondo's trainer

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
i was wondering if big baby was serious during the celticsnow xmas special when he said Favre was rondo's idol...i guess i have my answer.

i cant say im not disappointed by rondo's choice of idol, but not everyone grew up in new england idolizing our boston stars. at least we are benfiting from rondo's admiration of favre.
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp