Author Topic: Why is everyone so amped for the Christmas Game in LA??  (Read 10543 times)

Why is everyone so amped for the Christmas Game in LA??
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Finals rematch, greatest basketball rivalry, under the LA lights, on Christmas day, in front of all the celebs... yadda yadda yadda.

It's all about the next night, at Golden State.  It's on a Friday... 2nd night of a back-to-back... against the pesky Warriors... all the makings of the best game of the season.

(Hint... this ruse may or may not have something to do with the fact that I'll be at the Golden State game....)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Why is everyone so amped for the Christmas Game in LA??
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I thought it was the Tuesday night game in Portland that was so important.

It is the preview to the 2010 NBA Finals you know.

Two years ago, I predicted that the Trailblazers and the Celtics will meet in the 2012 NBA Finals. I had to move it up 2 years.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Im honestly looking more forward to Jan 9th, but christmas will be awesome. You can't look past that.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
The game definitely loses some of its luster since the Lakers have slowed down and lost a couple in a row.  But after their hot start, the media was not only awarding the Lakers the 2009 Champpionship, they were willing to have games 1,2,4 and 6 of the 2008 Finals stricken from the record book.  ;)

But anyway, it's a nationally televised Christmas game when there's no other games on, so everyone will be watching.  That alone is exciting, not to mention it's against an old rival and the team we beat in the finals.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
With a W against Philly, there's
even more to play for. We don't
want the streak to end in LA!

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I still fail to see how the LA game is more exciting that the Warriors game with yours truly attending in person.   ;D

Maybe I'm just bitter because my family always has Christmas dinner at 5:00pm... which happens to be the tip off time.  I will be eating quickly.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I still fail to see how the LA game is more exciting that the Warriors game with yours truly attending in person.   ;D

Maybe I'm just bitter because my family always has Christmas dinner at 5:00pm... which happens to be the tip off time.  I will be eating quickly.

I hope you have a good one, BT.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
While having BT there live does improve the GS game. Still got to give it to the Lakers game. I'll be taping it and watching it later Christmas night.

As for the Portland game, vote early and often so its the fan choice game. I want to see it.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:27 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I'm dreading the LA game honestly...If the streak ends up ending in LA that would tottally ruin christmas and the lakers would be declared champs...I'd rather the celts lose 2 in a row then go into LA with the streak and have it ended there
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The GS game might be a trap game,one that we generally would win  but after the Laker game it will be all about the energy of the team.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'm stoked for the LA game because I'm tired of all the experts expecting the Lakers to beat the Celtics just because of Bynum.  I want Perk to smack him down gooood.  After the C's give them a good beating, maybe we won't have to hear that Bynum is the second coming of Shaq anymore.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

We don't benefit from your attending, so the GS game will just be the bigger game for the Celtics who will benefit. I hear KG has butterflies already in anticipation of being in the same arena as you.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I'm looking forward to this game so people can finally realize the Lakers aren't all that special. Then I can't wait to hammer the Cavs for folks to realize that as well. Neither of them in consistently playing or beating healthy and strong teams nor defensive teams like the C's, C's roll.

On the merry side of things, I'm 29 years old and this is the first C's Xmas game I can clearly remember, no kid should have to suffer what we've suffered through, if only Tommy could do the national commentary.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

We don't benefit from your attending, so the GS game will just be the bigger game for the Celtics who will benefit. I hear KG has butterflies already in anticipation of being in the same arena as you.

Yes, there are some slight selfish motivations here... but I guess I have those for the Lakers too.  Beating them has always been extra sweet for me because I grew up in the Lakers regional broadcast area and went to school about 1.5 hours north of LA, so there were Laker fans all over campus.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
The GS game might be a trap game,one that we generally would win  but after the Laker game it will be all about the energy of the team.

That is actually a big concern of mine too...