Author Topic: Danny Ainge - lack of big men  (Read 4041 times)

Re: Danny Ainge - lack of big men
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm cool with rookies if they can show up like Tyler Herro, lol.

Most rookies are more like Grant Williams or Romeo Langford, though.  Raw.  Limited.  Not likely to get minutes in a big game.

Gonna need a couple more guys that can be relied up on in big situations in order to have a chance to go deeper next season.

As for big men generally, I think Theis and Rob Williams is an OK combo especially if Rob can grow into more of a trusted contributor next season.

I will note that Theis has been pretty healthy this year which is sort of anomalous for him.  Probably can't expect him to be this healthy all next season.  The Celts really need a guy like Serge Ibaka or a younger Taj Gibson. Somebody who can play 20-24 minutes a night and do work inside without being a liability against smaller perimeter players.  Ideally somebody who can hit a spot up jumper.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Hmm I just want a couple of trusted vets on my bench who have seen some playoff battles- ideally SF or PF
Nope. We got 4 draft picks to make. Need roster spots for them.
Last thing we need is more prospects. We are a contender.

That's why I'm so hyed up on drafting low ceiling/low floor guys who are ready to be role players now; Bane, Nesmith, Bey, Reed, Tyler Bey, Tillie, Winston, and Tillman.

I'm fine going lower ceiling later in the first but not in the lottery. In all likely hood this is DAs last lottery pick. With Tatum and Brown on the rise, Kemba and Hayward on the decline, and Smart and Theis plateaued this team runs the risk of staying stagnant. Shaking things up via major trades is very unlikely and cap space isnt coming. This means they need to draft and develop talent. R Williams and Langford have promise but injuries are a concern and I'm worried Williams is never going to have the IQ to play a major playoff role. Hitting on a higher upside pick this year would be huge for the Tatum era celtics... 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Hmm I just want a couple of trusted vets on my bench who have seen some playoff battles- ideally SF or PF
Nope. We got 4 draft picks to make. Need roster spots for them.
Last thing we need is more prospects. We are a contender.

That's why I'm so hyed up on drafting low ceiling/low floor guys who are ready to be role players now; Bane, Nesmith, Bey, Reed, Tyler Bey, Tillie, Winston, and Tillman.

I'm fine going lower ceiling later in the first but not in the lottery. In all likely hood this is DAs last lottery pick. With Tatum and Brown on the rise, Kemba and Hayward on the decline, and Smart and Theis plateaued this team runs the risk of staying stagnant. Shaking things up via major trades is very unlikely and cap space isnt coming. This means they need to draft and develop talent. R Williams and Langford have promise but injuries are a concern and I'm worried Williams is never going to have the IQ to play a major playoff role. Hitting on a higher upside pick this year would be huge for the Tatum era celtics...
If we trade Kemba for an expiring and not resign Hayward we can compete with Miami and Dallas for the top free agents in summer of 2021 but we need to be near elite next season to convince whoever (dare I say his name) needs to be convinced to sign with us.... which means we can’t afford to just dump Kemba

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 12:23:04 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I'll say it again. Bam Adebayo absolutely mauled us all series and it's not because he is such a special talent. He's good for sure, there's no doubt.

But the main reason is that we have a front court that is "sorely, sorely, sorely" lacking in adequately sized bigs with a mean streak. Bigs that demand of themselves to control the paint. Aaron Baynes would have been huge for us in this series.

We must invest in a group of bigs that can dominate in the paint. We would have swept the Heat if we had one legitimate big (size wise and with enough talent) in the paint to neutralize Adebayo. 

We have nobody we can throw the ball into in the paint and get anything done with any consistency. Therefore we are relegated to heaving jump shots up all night.

If Ainge doesn't invest in paint dominating bigs, he will royally svrew Tatum and Brown and I would suggest they leave the Celtics - because they won't win without a relevant big man.     

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 12:39:37 AM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
DA tried to get Davis but he said he wouldn't play more than a year here because he wanted to be with James in LA and look how that turned out. Without Davis LA is not even sniffing the finals, with him the Celtics are easily in the finals.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 12:58:05 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Danny Ainge SUCKS at drafting....doesn't matter how he gets the best of other GMs in trades.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 01:01:37 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
DA tried to get Davis but he said he wouldn't play more than a year here because he wanted to be with James in LA and look how that turned out. Without Davis LA is not even sniffing the finals, with him the Celtics are easily in the finals.

And some of us were banking that Davis wouldn't last 82 games into the season. Looks like he's in the Finals now.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 01:09:43 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

And some of us were banking that Davis wouldn't last 82 games into the season. Looks like he's in the Finals now.
The problem is not acquiring Davis. It's his lack of commitment to sign long term. And his dad had a statement about how this organization "lacks loyalty" to its players.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 01:26:06 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'll say it again. Bam Adebayo absolutely mauled us all series and it's not because he is such a special talent. He's good for sure, there's no doubt.

But the main reason is that we have a front court that is "sorely, sorely, sorely" lacking in adequately sized bigs with a mean streak. Bigs that demand of themselves to control the paint. Aaron Baynes would have been huge for us in this series.

We must invest in a group of bigs that can dominate in the paint. We would have swept the Heat if we had one legitimate big (size wise and with enough talent) in the paint to neutralize Adebayo. 

We have nobody we can throw the ball into in the paint and get anything done with any consistency. Therefore we are relegated to heaving jump shots up all night.

If Ainge doesn't invest in paint dominating bigs, he will royally svrew Tatum and Brown and I would suggest they leave the Celtics - because they won't win without a relevant big man.   

He didn't maul Grant Williams who is on our bench.