Author Topic: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?  (Read 11108 times)

Re: Is Green starting to earn his paycheck?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I do not want to part with Green. I think he's on a slow and steady rise to becoming an excellent player for the C's. He's my favorite Celtic to root for at this point, and he's key for match ups against the stud SFs.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
His numbers for the year are now up to exactly his career averages (those are in parens), in per-36 terms:

PPG 15.0 (14.9)
RPG 4.8 (5.8 )
APG 1.4 (1.7)
SPG 0.9 (1.0)
BPG 1.0 (0.7)
FG% .443 (.445)
3p% .340 (.337)
PER 12.7 (12.8 )

Pretty much right on the money.

Even if you look at his recent performance it's not much better than his typical one.

I'm not arguing that he looks much more effective out there...but you don't really see it in these numbers, except that he's gotten back to where he really should have been all along.

I'd like to see how his +/- numbers have evolved over the year.

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I really like hearing that he likes pairing with Pierce.  I love that too.  He is athletic enough to guard most twos, like he did Butler against CHI, and he can exploit his size advantage on offense pretty efficiently is seems.

And mark me down as opposed to trading Green for Smith.  Actually, one of the things I find attractive about acquiring Smith would be to pair him with the steadier Green.  Those guys with Rondo would be explosive.  The league is about speed and length these days.  If we could hold onto Bradley too.  That would be a fun team to watch develop.

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
His numbers for the year are now up to exactly his career averages (those are in parens), in per-36 terms:

PPG 15.0 (14.9)
RPG 4.8 (5.8 )
APG 1.4 (1.7)
SPG 0.9 (1.0)
BPG 1.0 (0.7)
FG% .443 (.445)
3p% .340 (.337)
PER 12.7 (12.8 )

Even if you look at his recent performance it's not much better than his typical one.

I'm not arguing that he looks much more effective out there...but you don't really see it in these numbers, except that he's gotten back to where he really should have been all along.

his numbers for this year are skewed because they are averaged out. He played like garbage the first half, and now hes playing great.

So right now he is actually playing above his career average.

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

PPG 15.0 (14.9)
RPG 4.8 (5.8 )
APG 1.4 (1.7)
SPG 0.9 (1.0)
BPG 1.0 (0.7)
FG% .443 (.445)
3p% .340 (.337)
PER 12.7 (12.8 )

his numbers for this year are skewed because they are averaged out. He played like garbage the first half, and now hes playing great.

So right now he is actually playing above his career average.

I do not think it is fair to compare Jeff Green's current career with the C's to his past career with the Thunder. Green, in Boston, is in a much different role and he is playing under a different coach, with different types of players.

I feel like Jeff Green has moved further along on the defensive side of the ball compared to the offensive side.

Jeff Green's back to the basket game is still very shaky and usually leads to either a missed hook shot or a turnover. I think he has much more success facing up down on the box and making a drive (and again only a right handed drive). So Jeff's offensive game is limited outside of transition opportunities.

I feel like Green has a lot of room for improvement on the offensive end and that is saying something considering the dude is shooting around 50% (49.4% & 39% threes) for the 2013 calendar year.

Was Jeff Green known for his defense at all in OKC. Were any Thunder player known for their defense outside of Ibaka and maybe Nick Collison?

I feel Jeff's current play, being able to match his career production is a true credit to him and a test of his physical and mental attributes.

I know a lot of people like to focus on rebounding, but let's face it, the Celtics are not a good rebounding team, and we have never been an elite rebounding team for 10 years and more. I do not know if it is by design or what have you, but we are just not that good at generating high rebounding totals.

That being said, Jeff Green's season high is 9 boards and he actually had 15 boards during his first stint with the C's, nearly 2 years ago. In no way am I saying Jeff Green is a great rebounder, nor even a good rebounder. All I am saying is he is capable to get boards if he applies his physical attributes towards that goal. Prior to this season with the C's, I believe Green (9.3%) has had a higher career rebounding % than Rudy Gay (9.4%) and Danny Granger (8.8%), just to name a couple other youngster wing players.

Keep the train rolling Jeff because Pierce has been playing with a pinch nerve for a while now....a few years, that's a chronic issue like Perk's separated shoulders.

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
stats are just one aspect.    Jeff is bringing energy ,  emotion, stepping up,  taking responsibility , fitting in,  getting more rebounds, steals , passing better.........

At this point, he is truly a better all around contributor to this team, than ant time before.   

He is showing, like most good players figure out, there is more to the game than how many points you score.

Jeff is  a big asset right now,   he does what he does so fluid an easy, makes you think he could easily increase his stats

yup...he is bringing it every nite now

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Reading Jackie's article really put things in perspective.  I always tried to remind myself he just had heart surgery, but the recovery was really put into focus.

Greens' doctors thought it would take him 2 years to get back in the NBA, and he's been playing all season for us. I always realized there was a tough rehabiliation but nothing as tough as was explained.  I just assumed most of it was strengthening his chest and gaining comfort.  Struggling to walk, random bouts of extreme fatigue, didn't expect any of that.

Glad for him.  We all know he's gotten a ton of flak the past few months and his play lately has been extremely promising.  He hasn't come close to his potential yet either.

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
New article by Jackie about Jeff

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8949730/jeff-green-flourishing-boston-celtics-harness-energy

We've heard it again and again, but reading it, just crazy what he has come back from.  I like the quotes in here from him, about how he likes playing with Pierce vs just replacing him via a sub.  Really good stuff.

A quote from the article:

"Green's medical team told him it will be a full two years before he will completely recover. "

Think about that.

As good as he's been the last few weeks, he's likely STILL not all the way healthy.

There has been some speculation in some articles that if anything, once he's fully healed, his cardio functions should actually be _better_ than it was pre-op.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
His numbers for the year are now up to exactly his career averages

OMG. Can we stop bringing up his career averages? Jesus Christ. His career averages and his potential deserve 9 mil
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:05:09 PM by CelticConcourse »
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 06:03:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I've always been happy with the Green deal and thought, and still think, that it is a fair deal. He is currently playing like we expected him to play when we signed him to the deal. I am very surprised at how well he hits the corner three most of the time and his defense has to be the most shocking thing for me. He has been able to play great one on one D while making his presence know with the shot blocking.

His post up game could still use some work and he only goes right. But since he is so strong and athletic he can afford to go right and make it work.

That's the reason he was brought here.  Danny saw the addition of Lebron and Melo to the East and needed a guy behind Pierce who could defend them.

Little did most know that we got one of a handful of guys in the league who could do that.  Jeff Green was D'ing up Rip Hamilton the other night!! How many power forwards can do that???

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Reading Jackie's article really put things in perspective.  I always tried to remind myself he just had heart surgery, but the recovery was really put into focus.

Greens' doctors thought it would take him 2 years to get back in the NBA, and he's been playing all season for us. I always realized there was a tough rehabiliation but nothing as tough as was explained.  I just assumed most of it was strengthening his chest and gaining comfort.  Struggling to walk, random bouts of extreme fatigue, didn't expect any of that.

Glad for him.  We all know he's gotten a ton of flak the past few months and his play lately has been extremely promising.  He hasn't come close to his potential yet either.

Yeah, the talk of his still dealing with exhaustion from his surgery, let alone having been off from playing for a year, is something.

On the other hand, he's clearly been urged to be more aggressive his whole playing life.  It apparently hasn't really taken so far, so there's no reason to think that further progress will be easy. 

Instead of apparently taking his rebounding incentive clause as something of an insult, it would have been nice if he could have seen it as an unambiguous communication from his employer as to what they want and believe they need from him--and then made it a priority to therefore improve in that area.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be part of his makeup.

I expect him to continue to be something of a mixed bag, though probably improve and become more consistent bit by bit as the organization works on him.  I believe he has the talent to be a nice second wheel at the three, with Rondo or someone else as the third 'star', but they still obviously are in need of a next generation top dog from somewhere else.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

OMG. Can we stop bringing up his career averages? Jesus Christ. His career averages and his potential deserve 9 mil

No they don't.

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

No they don't.
Sure. He should just play for the veteran minimum, because hey, his AVERAGES suck.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

No they don't.
Sure. He should just play for the veteran minimum, because hey, his AVERAGES suck.

So I guess there is no salary that is between $9 million and the veteran minimum.  I had no idea.  Post of the year, kozlodev.  Your sarcasm here doesn't even make sense.  Do you even know what the veteran minimum is?  Do you know that we have multiple players that make less than $9 million and more than the veteran minimum?

I'd love to be an agent negotating with you.  As long as my player is better than the league minimum, you'd give me $9 million?  I didn't know Ernie Grunfeld (or Billy King?)posted on CelticsBlog.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:22:40 PM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

No they don't.

You can't play in this league without overpaid players.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"