Author Topic: Washburn: celtics were arguing over defensive strategy and blame at halftime  (Read 7861 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From Washburn's article today,at halftime last night, they supposedly took shots at each other and at Doc for not changing the defensive strategy, and it turns out Doc was right not to change it. According to the article, Pierce called the players aside and set them straight.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/2013/01/06/second-half-surge-sparks-celtics-victory-over-atlanta-hawks/hbO7W0gI4TgHS45HgTeVwI/story.html

"Atlanta led, 46-27, with 6:20 left in the half, as the Celtics were back to their uninterested ways. At halftime, the players spent most of their break arguing with each other, snapping back at coach Doc Rivers for his criticism, and expressing frustration at a 15-point deficit. None of this, according to Pierce, was productive.

Pierce called his teammates together before they returned to the floor and told them to take a little of the anger out on their opponents."

Good thing we have a leader like Pierce to put players in the right mindset instead of blaming them like some other so called vets on other teams would do.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd like to to know who was doing the "bickering".

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This dissension, if depicted correctly, speaks strongly to the idea that a trade is definitely coming, regardless of our uptick in play.

Very curious as to who are the main complainers and finger-pointers, also?

TP for the article.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think when a team is losing by 15points, they get frustrated...theyve been losing alot of games.

they need to SEE(and hopefully they have after the past 2 games) that if they give that kind of effort defensively they can win ANY game.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm assuming any guard not named Bradley was getting pointed at for Lou Williams going 7 for 7. They probably wanted Avery to deal with that dirty work and Doc said it was more important for Avery to deal with the pg. Actually held them accountable for defending their own guy.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just thankful for Paul Pierce.

Rondo may be the new leader of this team, but Paul Pierce is STILL The Captain.

To be clear - I don't believe that Rondo is the source of the arguing, here.

As many of us, I'm curious as to who was doing the majority of the arguing and blame.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:48:49 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
This dissension, if depicted correctly, speaks strongly to the idea that a trade is definitely coming, regardless of our uptick in play.

Very curious as to who are the main complainers and finger-pointers, also?

TP for the article.

I'm curious as to Washburn's source.  Can't be Ray these days.  If it's Pierce publicly this time, was it also Pierce OTR last week?

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Nice to see pierce not only set them straight but allow his team to trust their coach. Hopefully this will be a turning point for us. It was like night and day from first half to second half. Second half was celtics ball. Effort and intensity throughout.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A big meh from my side.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its most likely the new guys....Doc is trying to instill in them that you have to play with that intensity level EVERY NIGHT.

our starters know it...and if our bench can keep playing like that intensity level we will win alot of games going forward.

these last 2 games were important for them...to know that even if you are down 15points..you can with WITH YOUR DEFENSE

now, lets bring on the knicks.

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
To me the argument isn't interesting, because any team would argue after that 1st half. The point is that Doc trusts himself and the team enough to stick with the game plan, and Pierce does the same. That's a team moving in the right direction.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
its most likely the new guys....Doc is trying to instill in them that you have to play with that intensity level EVERY NIGHT.

our starters know it...and if our bench can keep playing like that intensity level we will win alot of games going forward.

these last 2 games were important for them...to know that even if you are down 15points..you can with WITH YOUR DEFENSE

Why keep pointing fingers at our new guys... it was our starters principally that weren't getting the job done last night in the first half, in particular Rondo who was awful on both ends of the floor.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
To me the argument isn't interesting, because any team would argue after that 1st half. The point is that Doc trusts himself and the team enough to stick with the game plan, and Pierce does the same. That's a team moving in the right direction.

Pretty much the way I see it.

Complete non-issue, no need to overreact to a frustrating half. That's why you have leaders on the team, to help focus.

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
bickering happens even with good teams. great play after the break, very inspiring. not really worried about this.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Why keep pointing fingers at our new guys... it was our starters principally that weren't getting the job done last night in the first half, in particular Rondo who was awful on both ends of the floor.
Because Jet went 2-8 with 0 blocks, steals, or rebs in over 25 mins, while Jeff Preen went 1-4 with 0, blocks, or steals, one reb, and one TO in 15 mins. Jason Collins also had zero rebs, steals or blocks in almost 4 mins, and keep in mind that was mostly against Zaza. Nobody is saying anything bad against Sully who went 4 for 8, with 9 rebs, two assists, and a block in 23 and a half minutes.