Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28176 times)

Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« on: November 20, 2019, 06:44:21 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I apologise ahead of time .I just don't get it .He seems to play too ridged and doesn't have real change of pace or burst .In several recent games some really poor passes and didn't handle backcourt  pressure well .Also got blocked at rim on several breakaways.
He is not very flexible.
Can we get Chris Dunn from Chicago I prefer more length and fluidity.
Just can't warm up to Wanamaker as 2nd team point guard

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Maybe, just maybe we see a small trade and it allows Tremont Waters to become our 2nd string pg. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wanamaker has been fine as a cheap fill-in at PG.  Frankly, I am not very concerned about the PG position.  After Kemba, the additional options are Smart, Edwards and Waters.  You don't have to like BW, but Stevens has been giving him minutes and if he struggles there are other options.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:00:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Maybe, just maybe we see a small trade and it allows Tremont Waters to become our 2nd string pg.

I’d doubt that.  From a long-term contract perspective, it’s better for the Celtics to give Waters a cheap 4-year min deal this summer than a 1.5-year deal starting in February, which is the most he can be offered mid-season.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Not a huge fan either.  I mean, I root for him, but I’m keeping my eye on Evan Turner (assuming he can stay healthy) in the buyout market in February.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 07:11:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
As Brad has said about him a lot this year "Brad's a pro", we already have our jitterbug backup guard in Carsen Edwards. Brad wants stability in his backup PG, also he's got decent enough strength/size/experience that he can switch onto SGs and do okay.

Chris Dunn is paid more and is a better athlete, but he's a worse player. Look at how bad he's been. 17% from 3, fouling 6 times per 36 minutes, and he's been minimized by freaking Chicago. The one area that Wanamaker has really been struggling with is turnovers, but given how much better he's been than Dunn in other areas that's not too bad. (plus the C's are overall doing well at not turning it over.)

http://bkref.com/tiny/h0cvK

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 07:14:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not a huge fan either.  I mean, I root for him, but I’m keeping my eye on Evan Turner (assuming he can stay healthy) in the buyout market in February.
Ew, just say no to the Evan Turner toilet bowl offensive experience.

Brad this year has been better than Evan Turner offensively. He can't guard as many positions but we have Marcus and 3 high caliber wings so I'm not really looking at having a backup PG who is switchable.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 07:25:49 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I like Brad defensively. He does seem turnover prone though. He's got a decent enough stroke and can penetrate. I think coach likes him because he doesn't try to do too much and shoot you out of the game.

My only real knock on him is it appears to me he has a few careless turnovers a game. Didn't look up any stats just my memory and eye test so I could be wrong.

I personally think Waters is an upgrade but maybe he's too small?
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I feel just the opposite.

He's playing with a lot more confidence this year compared to last season. He goes to the hoop with confidence. Hits an occasional outside shot. His defense is good, not great. And, the team is winning with him playing extended minutes.

With Walker and other players going all out on both defense and offense - they need plenty of rest. Brad's been filling in well.

What more do you expect from someone with his salary? Turner's making $18 million or so. And, needs the ball in his hands to be effective. We already have too many one on one players.

Kudos to Wanamaker for making the most of his time.

As for Waters being a savior - he's great, but height will always be an issue. I'm not expecting him to be the answer to our point guard position.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is playing well this year but you can tell that he does not want to pass to ball the Edwards if you watch the game.   It is like he pretends he is not there and is threatened by the guy.

That being said, I have never cared for guys who won't pass to an open team mates so they can look better and Brad is one of those guys.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Against Sacramento, in the 1st half, we couldn't organize offense without turning the ball over (12 TOs).
Wannamaker came in and we stabilized.
That is something that tells me he is a steady, if not necessarily a dynamic PG.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No one is a fan of a level-headed, experienced, third-string point guard, but teams need them.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Again I only mentioned Chris Dunn without looking at how well he is playing and he was a past local'
 I only brought up this topic to learn from others not to denigrate Wanamaker.
I thought there was something odd with Wanamaker and Edwards .I thought is was conflicting styles and Edwards being a chucker

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I am the President of the Tremont Fan Club, but I like the idea of seeing him dominate in the G-League before we make a move.

He needs to see big frontcourts week on week, and prove it. (All due respect to SEC basketball)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He is playing well this year but you can tell that he does not want to pass to ball the Edwards if you watch the game.   It is like he pretends he is not there and is threatened by the guy.

That being said, I have never cared for guys who won't pass to an open team mates so they can look better and Brad is one of those guys.

Waters and Edwards and Romeo are roadblock to his meal ticket .