Author Topic: Would You Trade Mookie Betts or Pay Mookie?  (Read 14177 times)

Would You Trade Mookie Betts or Pay Mookie?
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »

Offline Ty_Unabi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Would you consider a trade with Mookie or would you pay him Mike Trout Money($430 Million Value)?

I say trade.

Re: Would You Trade Mookie Betts or Pay Mookie?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Pay.   Time to trade was before this season. Unlike nba no real advantage to trade for a player like mookie a year early.  No one will hesitate to lose draft picks to sign him.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Trade. He’s determined to hit free agency and the Sox are looking to reduce payroll, with all the money owed to Sale, Bogaerts, Price and Eovaldi. Even Pedroia is still on the books for two more years.

I think they deal Mookie and use that money to sign another starter and add a couple bullpen arms, which they sorely need.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If he is expecting Mike Trout money, then the Sox need to consider a trade that will [hopefully] replenish their farm system. Mookie is an excellent player and he deserved the MVP he won last year, but Bogaerts and Devers are clearly outplaying him this season; and Martinez is obviously putting together another solid campaign. Martinez will likely opt out after this season, but I can see him wanting to stay in Boston with a modest, short term pay increase.

The Sox payroll right now is a joke, I just don't know if they can commit $35M/yr over the next 10+ years to a player that just isn't on the level of the best in the game...never mind the best on his team.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Trade but they wont
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Pay.   Time to trade was before this season. Unlike nba no real advantage to trade for a player like mookie a year early.  No one will hesitate to lose draft picks to sign him.

Orioles got 5 prospects for half a season of Manny Machado from the Dodgers last year. You’d be surprised.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Rosenthal thinks Betts could be traded within the next 48 hours.

Though Red Sox fans continue to hope for a miracle, the latest news on outfielder Mookie Betts points toward a trade away from Boston possibly as soon as “today or tomorrow,” according to MLB insider Ken Rosenthal.

In a Monday interview on MLB Network, Rosenthal unequivocally stated his opinion on the Betts trade rumors that have been ongoing for much of the offseason.

Asked if Boston was any closer to a deal to send Betts away, Rosenthal replied, “Yes [they] are.”

“And I would not be surprised if it happened today or tomorrow,” he continued. “Talks have continued over the weekend. There seems to be a good amount of momentum for the Dodgers, and the Dodgers certainly could make a cleaner deal with the Red Sox simply because they don’t have to include Wil Myers like the Padres do.”

God this sucks.  The Sox have a 5-tool player in his prime, an MVP and gold glover, and we won’t even get one of the Dodgers top two prospects. 

Just pay the man, somewhere between Harper and Trout money.  11 years, $425 million.  Overpaying the second best player in baseball is better than not having the second best player in baseball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 01:02:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Though Red Sox fans continue to hope for a miracle, the latest news on outfielder Mookie Betts points toward a trade away from Boston possibly as soon as “today or tomorrow,” according to MLB insider Ken Rosenthal.

In a Monday interview on MLB Network, Rosenthal unequivocally stated his opinion on the Betts trade rumors that have been ongoing for much of the offseason.

Asked if Boston was any closer to a deal to send Betts away, Rosenthal replied, “Yes [they] are.”

“And I would not be surprised if it happened today or tomorrow,” he continued. “Talks have continued over the weekend. There seems to be a good amount of momentum for the Dodgers, and the Dodgers certainly could make a cleaner deal with the Red Sox simply because they don’t have to include Wil Myers like the Padres do.”

God this sucks.  The Sox have a 5-tool player in his prime, an MVP and gold glover, and we won’t even get one of the Dodgers top two prospects.

because Redsox want the Dodgers to take Price and his fat contract also

If this is not done, Redsox may have to give up on Benny or someone else

and my guess is that they see more value in keepin Benny than getting back a blue chip prospect with no guarantee they will be as good as Benny for example

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

and my guess is that they see more value in keepin Benny than getting back a blue chip prospect with no guarantee they will be as good as Benny for example

The Red Sox basically print money. They could increase payroll by $50 - $75 million and still be profitable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 01:12:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Red Sox basically print money. They could increase payroll by $50 - $75 million and still be profitable.

Yeppp. I mean you have to basically take  out a mortgage to go to a game, a buying a hot dog at Fenway becomes a huge financial decision. But sure, lets not pay one of the best players in the game because money.

I mean why doesn't Henry just sell the team if paying for it is taxing?

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
You pay him.

It's idiotic the Sox are gonna trade this kid in the midst of a hall of fame trajectory prime. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You pay him.

It's idiotic the Sox are gonna trade this kid in the midst of a hall of fame trajectory prime.
Yup. You pay him and salary dump Price, Bradley, Eovaldi even Sale if you have to. You keep Mookie.

Here is the problem. Mookie is determined to go to free agency. Even if Boston gave him a 12 year $400 million offer, Betts is still wants o take that offer to free agency and see if someone will beat it.

He has made comments that it's best for all players in the union to go to free agency and get those huge contracts so the next set of guys get even bigger contracts.

I think he goes to free agency no matter what offer Boston gives him and if that happens the risk of losing him for nothing gets to great. The Sox might HAVE to trade him now.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm clearly in the minority based on the responses thus far, but I say trade him:

1. It's clear the two sides are not going to come to terms on a number that works for both parties. You can spin that to mean the Red Sox are cheap, or that Mookie is being unreasonable, or somewhere in between. But the situation seems to be that he wants to play somewhere else at a higher number.

2. By all accounts, Mike Trout is undeniably the most talented player in the MLB. Yet how many times have the Angels missed the playoffs in the last few years?

All this is to say that baseball is different than basketball. An MVP-talent is by no means a guarantee that you'll have a successful team. With or without Mookie, the Red Sox already have enough bats to succeed. You win in the postseason with clutch pitching and timely hitting. You typically get to the postseason with a few pitchers that can single-handedly win you a game every 5 days.

Even in the Red Sox recent World Series year, Mookie didn't provide the clutch hitting for the Red Sox during the playoffs. So even if he's one of baseball's best all-around talents, the Sox can win without him.

3. There are also just as many examples of these huge contracts immediately becoming huge mistakes. Granted every player is different. But for every Mike Trout there is a Ryan Howard. No matter what people say about Mookie, it IS a risk to throw $400 million at a guy whose batting average dipped 40 points after his MVP year. Which year is the real outlier? If I have to ask that question, I'm not going to overspend to keep a guy that doesn't really want to be here and just wants the most money.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:05:05 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I'm clearly in the minority based on the responses thus far, but I say trade him:

1. It's clear the two sides are not going to come to terms on a number that works for both parties. You can spin that to mean the Red Sox are cheap, or that Mookie is being unreasonable, or somewhere in between. But the situation seems to be that he wants to play somewhere else at a higher number.

2. By all accounts, Mike Trout is undeniably the most talented player in the MLB. Yet how many times have the Angels missed the playoffs in the last few years?

All this is to say that baseball is different than basketball. An MVP-talent is by no means a guarantee that you'll have a successful team. With or without Mookie, the Red Sox already have enough bats to succeed. You win in the postseason with clutch pitching and timely hitting. You typically get to the postseason with a few pitchers that can single-handedly win you a game every 5 days.

Even in the Red Sox recent World Series year, Mookie didn't provide the clutch hitting for the Red Sox during the playoffs. So even if he's one of baseball's best all-around talents, the Sox can win without him.

3. There are also just as many examples of these huge contracts immediately becoming huge mistakes. Granted every player is different. But for every Mike Trout there is a Ryan Howard. No matter what people say about Mookie, it IS a risk to throw $400 million at a guy whose batting average dipped 40 points after his MVP year. Which year is the real outlier? If I have to ask that question, I'm not going to overspend to keep a guy that doesn't really want to be here and just wants the most money.

We probably could pick a better comp to make this point than Howard. Howard never looked like a guy that would age gracefully. The real comparison would be whether the machado or bryce contracts come up as crippling. Also, don't look now but people are optimistic Angels will be good this year.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
We probably could pick a better comp to make this point than Howard. Howard never looked like a guy that would age gracefully. The real comparison would be whether the machado or bryce contracts come up as crippling. Also, don't look now but people are optimistic Angels will be good this year.

That's comforting that once every 6 years the team with the best player can make the playoffs.

My point with mentioning Trout is that there's no guarantee the Red Sox will drop-off by trading Mookie. And alternatively, it's no guarantee they'd be successful by keeping him.