Poll

Should the Celtics give up a 1st rounder for Ktle Lowry? Choose any 5 to 6 million dollar filler combo you want for salariy.

Yes
28 (62.2%)
No
17 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: February 05, 2013, 02:19:13 AM

Author Topic: 1st rounder for Lowry? (Poll)  (Read 6733 times)

Re: 1st rounder for Lowry? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yeah I do that in a second and then flip him during training camp. For that price he'd be a good fill in for the rest of the year and good trade bait once rondo comes back.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah I do that in a second and then flip him during training camp. For that price he'd be a good fill in for the rest of the year and good trade bait once rondo comes back.

I think he's an expiring deal, so we'd have to pay him.  Plus, there's a reason he's available at all after the Raps gave up a fair amount to get him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
C's can't give up just a pick for him.  Would need to send out a player.  If it's Bass or JET for Lowry, do it.  would hold on to Lee and any 1st round picks.  I'm just not enamored with Lowry as many others here seem to be.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope...pointless

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
if the raps GM is dumb enough to do this then hell yeah!

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Yes, cuz the price is so low.

But I think there is something to be said about the fact that his team's just want him gone. He played really well for the Rockets and they didn't even entertain the thought of his return to Houston. The Raptors traded for him, have him under a great contract and don't seem to want to keep him.

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd be tempted to trade a 1st in this year's draft for:

1) Getting a contract that only has $1 guaranteed next season (i.e. NOT an expiring deal, but one that could be traded before the draft / over the summer);

and;

2) The ability to get out from under the contract of one of Bass, Terry or Lee (in that order).

That Kyle Lowry's attached to that non-guaranteed contract is a plus, but I care more about the above.

So count me as a 'yes'.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
No I want the Cs to keep their picks.

Too big a risk Lowry can't be flipped next year or he plays out his deal and walks.

I think this misunderstands Lowry's deal. Only $1mil of his salary is guaranteed next season (i believe):

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/raptors.jsp

....which makes him a nice asset. My point -- per the post above -- would you rather have a 1st in a weak draft, or years of Bass or Terry or Lee cap hold while we rebuild?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The question as posed is really a no brainer.
A 2013 1st round pick + Bass for Kyle Lowry.
Who in their right mind wouldn't do that trade?

I'll tell you who: the Raptors.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It is going to take significantly more than a first round pick to get Lowry IMO. 

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Too big a risk Lowry can't be flipped next year or he plays out his deal and walks.

I think this misunderstands Lowry's deal. Only $1mil of his salary is guaranteed next season (i believe):

....which makes him a nice asset. My point -- per the post above -- would you rather have a 1st in a weak draft, or years of Bass or Terry or Lee cap hold while we rebuild?
I don't misunderstand, I worry that we'd be unable to find a deal that'll give us back another young asset for Lowry. Cutting him for only the $1 million wouldn't get us cap space and thus is a non-starter, better to let him play out on the team.

If he did play out the next season he'd walk and sign with another team given that we have Rondo as a starter. (you could also explore moving Rondo but that'd be hard has heck with his injury timetable and I dislike trading the better player)

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
It is going to take significantly more than a first round pick to get Lowry IMO.
\\

Toronto traded a lottery pick for him. We'd be returning that, or worst case, a 1st in the late teens.

But I agree with you when one considers what we'd be returning (Bass, Terry, Lee). Which is why I'd imagine Danny will look to prey on TOR's eagerness to land Gay and get involved there. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's what the Raptors gave up, though the had the weird mid lottery protections involved with it.

So if we did give up a pick they'd demand it be unprotected, which even in a weak draft is something I wouldn't do as the C's. Too great a chance of a second injury thrusting us into the lottery.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
No, No, and No.

We need our top draft pick.
We have guards who can play point.
Lowry may not gel with the starting unit.
Rondo will be back next season anyway.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I don't misunderstand, I worry that we'd be unable to find a deal that'll give us back another young asset for Lowry. Cutting him for only the $1 million wouldn't get us cap space and thus is a non-starter, better to let him play out on the team.

If he did play out the next season he'd walk and sign with another team given that we have Rondo as a starter. (you could also explore moving Rondo but that'd be hard has heck with his injury timetable and I dislike trading the better player)

Disagree. Excellent chance PP and KG are not playing in Boston next season. If so, Cs cap situation begins to change quickly. I'd trade a mid-to-late 1st in a weak draft for relief from 2-3 years of $5-6mil per for a marginal player under these circumstances.

It's also my belief that mid-to-late 1sts will be for sale in this year's draft from at least a couple of teams.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)