Author Topic: Shawn Marion: “I should be a shoo-in” for HOF  (Read 3779 times)

Re: Shawn Marion: “I should be a shoo-in” for HOF
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's been the Naismith Basketball "Hall of Very Good" for a long time now so nothing would surprise me at this point. 

Personally, I loved Marion and he was one of the more underrated stars of the 2000s but I don't see him as a HOFer.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Draymond Green probably thinks he deserves to be in the HOF too.

The basketball HOF is by far the lamest of them all though, so nothing really surprises me when it comes to who gets in.

I don't know about that. Craig Biggio made the baseball Hall of Fame. :P
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The basketball HOF is by far the lamest of them all though, so nothing really surprises me when it comes to who gets in.

Harold Baines.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I mean you can find quite some players in the HoF that don't even have the career Green's had. 5 straight All-NBA worthy seasons don't grow from trees lol.
You just echoed his thoughts.
Yeah I missed the second part of his post. But it doesn't really diminish what players like Marion and Draymond did - a string of strong All-Star/All-NBA campaigns is a pretty decent prime.

And I don't mean to diminish what Green has accomplished.  But I do want to see him properly contextualized.  Green has been a high level role player, not a star. 

Green is no different than many before him, very good players that often times get looked at as more important than they really are due to circumstance (i.e. playing for the right team at the right time).  The NBA is littered with guys like him, some of which get immortalized because they played for the right team and others that get forgotten about because they played alongside inferior 'stars'.

At no point though was Green ever more than the 4th most important player on the Warriors.  Durant, Curry, Thompson, and Iguodala were all more critical pieces. I'm not saying Green was an easily replaceable nor unimportant piece to those teams, but he was far more replaceable than the others.

It's just annoying to me that guys like him get in the HOF.  They don't belong there in my opinion.  The same applies to Shawn Marion.  Fantastic role player, but not a star worthy of the HOF.
That's just you then, he's pretty clearly a star. I think he's been arguably the second most important player of that Golden State dynasty due to his ability to anchor an elite defence as well as be an excellent glue guy on a pace and space offence. Sure part of his impact comes from situational value (his value was certainly boosted on those amazing GSW teams), but I don't see ATG big man defence and excellent big man passing for 5ish seasons as something that isn't HoF worthy unless they're less valuable than what a good amount of evidence has shown. He was certainly the second least replaceable player on those Warriors teams - I don't think you realise how rare it is to find a big man who can anchor an elite defence that is versatile enough to combat a multitude of offensive styles (so that defensive value holds in the playoffs unlike bigs such as Gobert) as well as amplify the offensive value of on-ball stars with excellent screen setting, passing and ballhandling on the other end of the court.

I'm not as high on Marion due to the fact that he was a wing and is thus inherently less valuable on defence than the best defensive bigs, but I do think that his curriculum vitae is good enough (numerous All-Star/All-NBA worthy campaigns due to excellent wing defence and finishing + cultural/impact value on playing a key role for an innovative Suns team) for him to vie for an HoF spot, especially when it has pretty much become the Hall of "Very Good".
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Biggio made 7 all star games.  He has 4 gold gloves and 5 silver sluggers (at 2 different positions).  He finished in the top 5 of MVP twice and got votes 3 other times.  His offensive WAR is in the to 50 all time.  And all of that doesn't mean he should be in the HOF, just that he has more of the things you would look for than Marion does in his sport.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip