Poll

Would you want the NBA to expand outside the US and Canada?

Yes
4 (57.1%)
No
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Shaq: I hear NBA could expand to China, Japan, London  (Read 2198 times)

Shaq: I hear NBA could expand to China, Japan, London
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: Shaquille O’Neal
They’re thinking about going back overseas. I keep hearing that Seattle wants their team back, but they would probably have to sell one of the existing teams. But I’m hearing China, Japan. London. I hear in the grapevine that there are a couple teams for sale and one maybe going to Vegas.
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/05/14/kings-minority-owner-shaquille-oneal-i-hear-nba-could-expand-to-china-japan-london/

In all honesty, I don't think Shaq is a credible source when it comes to NBA expansion plans. Not saying that he's making stuff up, just that I'm not sure whether his opinion is based on credible information. Fwiw, Shaq is a minority owner of the Kings.

Anyway, do you guys like the idea of a possible NBA expansion in China/Japan/Europe/Mexico/you name it?

Personally speaking, I would love to see an NBA team in Mexico City. After all, the Mexico City Capitanes (=Captains) are about to enter the G-League. Starting from the 2020–21 season, the team will stay in the G-League for five seasons and will be the first team outside the United States and Canada to do so.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:08:52 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Shaq: I hear NBA could expand to China, Japan, London
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Unless theyre talking about setting up seperate NBA leagues in different countries, I dont see how this would work, namely travel wise, without extending the season.

The only way I could see it work, is if they started SEVERAL teams in europe or china and adding a whole new conference.  That way when a team has to travel to europe, theyre there for a couple weeks to play all the teams, then travel back home.  Traveling that distance to play one team.  Not to mention all the traveling, that one or two teams in europe or china would have to do to play the rest of the league.  Mexico City wouldnt be bad I guess.

If this is true, and I doubt it is, it would have to be for seperate NBA leagues in different countries.

Players would throw a fit over this.  Players have already refused to report to teams they dont like being traded to.  Imagine if a player got traded to China mid season lol
Greg

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
NBA needs to stop the craziness and the greed. American pro teams with their expansion plans are jealous of soccer and its global appeal and reach. They need to understand that to obtain that global appeal for basketball you must yield to local control of leagues in various political climates some not so conducive to private/individual ownership model of the NBA.

You will need a world federation to govern international play and not the NBA as it is presently constituted with a group of owners and a commish. God luck with that.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Dear NBA,

Please don't. Your product has enough issues already.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Dear NBA,

Please don't. Your product has enough issues already.

yup .....Silver and Lebron need to take a CHILL PILL. ....go find something humane useful to do with their extra time and millions of dollars they hoard .   These insane greedy people are getting to be a bit much while thousands die every day . 

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Stay away from China.  Too many political issues. 

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
so, the nba becomes the iba?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 08:38:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Like there is any chance of this reasonably being entertained within the next 18 months.

Teams already struggle with going from one coast to the other, how the hell would the league incorporate international teams (other than Mexico maybe) without massively expanding the length of the season, or having much less games and a similar length? Yet again the NBA is just being greedy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Stay away from China.  Too many political issues.

I did not have notions of going before the epidemic,  I know I ll,never go there now .  Im happy in the USA  :)

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 03:54:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
NBA is bound to expand overseas, it is just the matter of time. I would like a European division down the road.

As for Shaq, he also said 1000s of dumb things so I wouldn't take his comments as something meaningful.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
NBA is bound to expand overseas, it is just the matter of time. I would like a European division down the road.

As for Shaq, he also said 1000s of dumb things so I wouldn't take his comments as something meaningful.

It will never work. Expand overseas and it will cease being the National Basketball Association.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 05:12:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I want just the best basketball I can get.
I don't really care about one word in the name of that league.
Also Canada isn't a federal state of USA, so we could have lost that name since its founding.

NBA is about growth, earning money and popularity.
And expanding overseas is the only logical longterm direction of the league.
Remember that the biggest growth in BRI (cap space) came after Barcelona, when the NBA opened up to the world more. Before that Americans didn't think European players could compete.
After Europeans won MVP, finals MVP twice, 6th man of the year, rookie of the year and so on, the opinion changed.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I want just the best basketball I can get.
I don't really care about one word in the name of that league.
Also Canada isn't a federal state of USA, so we could have lost that name since its founding.

NBA is about growth, earning money and popularity.
And expanding overseas is the only logical longterm direction of the league.
Remember that the biggest growth in BRI (cap space) came after Barcelona, when the NBA opened up to the world more. Before that Americans didn't think European players could compete.
After Europeans won MVP, finals MVP twice, 6th man of the year, rookie of the year and so on, the opinion changed.

logistics man, logistics. You cannot compare putting one team in freaking Canada to opening a division in England. Just not the same. By the way Canada is still recognized by the singing of their anthem before Toronto games so their is that little bit of international aspect to it. Besides what you may think Canada is still part of North America,

Bringing the world's best player to play in the NBA does not mean the NBA can set up shop in other countries with all the political issues such ventures will face. It will not work!!!