Author Topic: Silver update to Players  (Read 12477 times)

Re: Silver update to Players
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2020, 06:28:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
We'll possibly know whether there is an official end to the season within 2 weeks:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29167773/nba-owners-execs-hopeful-return-call-adam-silver

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I’ve been hearing  from just about every reasonable source that the balanced, smartest approach is a gradual reopening with high levels of precautionary measures.  Testing, masks, gloves (where appropriate), limited large gatherings, and most importantly, physical distancing. 

I understand that players will be tested and that they’ll be in relative seclusion, but the visual messaging will have enormous impact.  Players, coaches, trainers together, all over one another, dripping sweat on each other,  in each other’s faces, unmasked, ungloved - exposure to different groupings daily.   This would represent absolutely everything that people shouldn’t be doing during the next phase of reopening.

The economic outlook scares the heck out of me and I am really hoping for a successful reopening. But to be foolish about how we behave once reopened should scare everyone - for pretty obvious reasons.  Re-igniting this virus would be horrible.  NBA should be models - don’t risk it unless you have to.  Don’t violate physical distancing unless you have to. Don’t be near people without a mask — ever!!     What? Unless you are a basketball player?  The message is wrong. The modeling is wrong. Not now.  In the fall, maybe.  But definitely not now. 

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
doesnt the players union need to agree with all of this before it can start? 

The MLB commish and owners are agreeing on a july 1st start date but it doesnt appear to be met well so far with the MLB players/players union, mainly regarding money and player safety.

i would imagine this would be the biggest hurdle for the NBA, unless im behind on the reporting.

I will say though, the NBA restart plan has plenty more safeguards than what the MLB is proposing

I don't trust MLB or the NFL to do this properly. I have much higher expectations for the NBA though.

The problem with the NBA, though, is that the season essentially ended two months ago, while the MLB/NFL have yet to begin. That means there can be a true consistency on how those leagues handle their seasons (whether or not it meets players expectations), while the NBA essentially needs to hold another training camp, play an abbreviated remaining of the season schedule, and then do a weird playoff format. It would seem to make much more sense to just call the season and then provide a framework for when next season begins - which is supposed to be in 4 1/2 months.

I understand the idea of trying to save the season and it would certainly help with some of the money issues the league is facing, but I am just not sure it is logistically (or emotionally) feasible.
IMO, starting next season on time and in the normal format is very much in doubt.

Oh, totally. I was just showing how truly close we already are to next season. If the plan is to postpone next season because they want to re-start this one, then they are probably better off just putting together a full season for 20-21 with a well-thought out format that works for everybody. The virus isn't going anywhere any time soon so that is going to need to happen regardless.
Got it.  IMO, I would view this season the same as a strike-shortened season.  It's over, now let's move on to 20-21.

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I’ve been hearing  from just about every reasonable source that the balanced, smartest approach is a gradual reopening with high levels of precautionary measures.  Testing, masks, gloves (where appropriate), limited large gatherings, and most importantly, physical distancing. 

I understand that players will be tested and that they’ll be in relative seclusion, but the visual messaging will have enormous impact.  Players, coaches, trainers together, all over one another, dripping sweat on each other,  in each other’s faces, unmasked, ungloved - exposure to different groupings daily.   This would represent absolutely everything that people shouldn’t be doing during the next phase of reopening.

The economic outlook scares the heck out of me and I am really hoping for a successful reopening. But to be foolish about how we behave once reopened should scare everyone - for pretty obvious reasons.  Re-igniting this virus would be horrible.  NBA should be models - don’t risk it unless you have to.  Don’t violate physical distancing unless you have to. Don’t be near people without a mask — ever!!     What? Unless you are a basketball player?  The message is wrong. The modeling is wrong. Not now.  In the fall, maybe.  But definitely not now.

Wouldn't the most notable visual messaging be the fact that teams are playing in gyms with no fans, a constant reminder of the new environment?

If the NBA deems it infeasible or too risky, I get it. But I don't think everything in the world needs to function as a public service announcement.

If they do play in the summer, will you watch?

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2020, 12:02:36 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Wouldn't the most notable visual messaging be the fact that teams are playing in gyms with no fans, a constant reminder of the new environment?

If the NBA deems it infeasible or too risky, I get it. But I don't think everything in the world needs to function as a public service announcement.

I also think there's some research that can be conducted that could help with outdoor activity. Would the players wear headbands to prevent sweat? Would they wear masks while playing? Are there innovative ways to wear masks so it's not as uncomfortable? Those types of adjustments could help determine what could places do for physical activity. I know it wouldn't translate into playing in a playground but the more data we have, the more information we have to go with.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2020, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I understand your point of view, and I realize that over-dramatizing and over-worrying are possibilities.  All weighed though, I think the visual of men playing ball without masks or distancing just isn't the message for now (June/July).   

I'm not saying that having no people in the stands isn't also a message, nor am I saying that people aren't capable of making responsible decisions regardless of what the NBA does.  I'm just being honest about a belief that when NBA players slobber over each other in their mask-less, gloveless glory, it will send a message to SOME that this is OK and that our scientists are over-stating the worry.   

And they MAY BE over-stating the worry.  I don't know.  I just think 1) there is a chance that the worry is for good reason, 2) that the behavior of athletes, politicians, celebrities of all kinds, like it or not, influence the mindset and behavior of others (wish it wasn't true, but it is), and 3) not playing this summer is both reasonable and doable. 

The NBA is able to send a message here and yes, you can view it as a public service message if you want to -- NBA message could be:  Let's listen to our doctors, let's start opening up our country but let's be careful and not do things that our medical community is saying it's not yet time for.

A month from now people should not be in each others' faces.

Would I watch?   I really don't know.  I'll probably watch Celtics because I would have a hard time not watching -- but I can't say how I'll feel when I do and whether it will turn me off enough to turn the TV off.

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I understand your point of view, and I realize that over-dramatizing and over-worrying are possibilities.  All weighed though, I think the visual of men playing ball without masks or distancing just isn't the message for now (June/July).   

I'm not saying that having no people in the stands isn't also a message, nor am I saying that people aren't capable of making responsible decisions regardless of what the NBA does.  I'm just being honest about a belief that when NBA players slobber over each other in their mask-less, gloveless glory, it will send a message to SOME that this is OK and that our scientists are over-stating the worry.   

And they MAY BE over-stating the worry.  I don't know.  I just think 1) there is a chance that the worry is for good reason, 2) that the behavior of athletes, politicians, celebrities of all kinds, like it or not, influence the mindset and behavior of others (wish it wasn't true, but it is), and 3) not playing this summer is both reasonable and doable. 

The NBA is able to send a message here and yes, you can view it as a public service message if you want to -- NBA message could be:  Let's listen to our doctors, let's start opening up our country but let's be careful and not do things that our medical community is saying it's not yet time for.

Would I watch?   I really don't know.  I'll probably watch Celtics because I would have a hard time not watching -- but I can't say how I'll feel when I do and whether it will turn me off enough to turn the TV off.

I mean, you can look at the same exact thing and take both negatives and positives from it.

I watched the UFC event on Saturday and, while some people did shake hands, stand close to each other, fighters obviously breathed on top of each other, the overall message that came across was not at all that everything is perfectly cool. The overwhelming feel of the event was how different it was with no fans. Everyone other than the commentators, fighters and refs were wearing masks. Interviews outside of the cage were done from a distance. The overall message was one of caution, but progress.

The NBA coming back this summer could be an opportunity to emphasize the importance of testing. The bizarre lack of fans and perhaps not playing in an arena would surely not lure anyone into a false sense of security. I just don't see that.

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2020, 06:05:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It looks like NBA players want the season to resume:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2891385-report-lebron-giannis-steph-curry-more-stars-in-favor-of-nba-resuming-season?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

It sounds like most of those stars are from contending teams, It sounds selfish of them to form a front and push for the season to resume when things are in chaos now.

There are also stars from teams that are not in contention, including Steph Curry and KD.
I have no difficulty believing that LeBron is the one leading this - desperately

Am I the only one who thinks this is a really dumb idea?  Teams have been shutdown for almost two months.  No one is in shape, there are huge logistical / safety issues with trying to host anything anywhere right now.  Just call it a day, cancel the rest of the season, and pray that we can get basketball after some kind of delayed opening later in the year.

I would like to see a survey of what ALL players think.  I bet it would be a lot different than that article.
Oh no, I totally agree. In Australia we’re only just starting serious discussions about how to restart sport, and it won’t come back until June basically. And we’re miles ahead of most other places in terms of having dealt with the virus. Desperation for money trumps all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
It looks like NBA players want the season to resume:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2891385-report-lebron-giannis-steph-curry-more-stars-in-favor-of-nba-resuming-season?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

It sounds like most of those stars are from contending teams, It sounds selfish of them to form a front and push for the season to resume when things are in chaos now.

There are also stars from teams that are not in contention, including Steph Curry and KD.
I have no difficulty believing that LeBron is the one leading this - desperately

Am I the only one who thinks this is a really dumb idea?  Teams have been shutdown for almost two months.  No one is in shape, there are huge logistical / safety issues with trying to host anything anywhere right now.  Just call it a day, cancel the rest of the season, and pray that we can get basketball after some kind of delayed opening later in the year.

I would like to see a survey of what ALL players think.  I bet it would be a lot different than that article.
Desperation for money trumps all

This ^ pretty much says it all .   :-X

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
We'll possibly know whether there is an official end to the season within 2 weeks:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29167773/nba-owners-execs-hopeful-return-call-adam-silver

If the owners and executives are hopeful for a return they should don the jerseys for the teams that they own and work for, respectively, to keep the players from unnecessary risk until a well thought out '20-'21 season can begin.

Who says no?

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2020, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I mean, you can look at the same exact thing and take both negatives and positives from it.

I watched the UFC event on Saturday and, while some people did shake hands, stand close to each other, fighters obviously breathed on top of each other, the overall message that came across was not at all that everything is perfectly cool. The overwhelming feel of the event was how different it was with no fans. Everyone other than the commentators, fighters and refs were wearing masks. Interviews outside of the cage were done from a distance. The overall message was one of caution, but progress.

The NBA coming back this summer could be an opportunity to emphasize the importance of testing. The bizarre lack of fans and perhaps not playing in an arena would surely not lure anyone into a false sense of security. I just don't see that.

I think you just aren't correct.  Not only will some people be lured into a sense of security, others will be emboldened in their conviction that this is at least in part, a hoax.  I have a colleague who lives in western Mass -- in a very conservative enclave.  He says -- and says this literally -- that if you wear a mask to the grocery store you will get verbally attacked for propagating the hoax and you will have people purposely get right in your face.  He saw someone get spit at the other day. His take -- entirely due to Trump messaging.

Yeah -- most people will not be influenced to mock physical distancing by the sight of players in each others space, but some adults will. And children will.  There really isn't any doubt in my mind about that. 

The issue for me is that there is just no need to take any risk to do this early.  Of course Lebron James who is legacy-obsessed wants to come back.  Of course, 20-somethings who stand to make huge money and have little worry for their own mortality with regard to this disease want to come back.   But a June/July return is unnecessary when literally 2 months after this season would end, you've got next season beginning.  Just be safe.  Plan an October/ November rollout, which of course can be changed if we've got a 2nd wave. 

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I think you just aren't correct.  Not only will some people be lured into a sense of security, others will be emboldened in their conviction that this is at least in part, a hoax.  I have a colleague who lives in western Mass -- in a very conservative enclave.  He says -- and says this literally -- that if you wear a mask to the grocery store you will get verbally attacked for propagating the hoax and you will have people purposely get right in your face.  He saw someone get spit at the other day. His take -- entirely due to Trump messaging.

Yeah -- most people will not be influenced to mock physical distancing by the sight of players in each others space, but some adults will. And children will.  There really isn't any doubt in my mind about that. 

The issue for me is that there is just no need to take any risk to do this early.  Of course Lebron James who is legacy-obsessed wants to come back.  Of course, 20-somethings who stand to make huge money and have little worry for their own mortality with regard to this disease want to come back.   But a June/July return is unnecessary when literally 2 months after this season would end, you've got next season beginning.  Just be safe.  Plan an October/ November rollout, which of course can be changed if we've got a 2nd wave.

I agree that this has become extremely tribal for some people. I honestly don't see the nba returning as having any influence amounting to anything greater than a butterfly effect influence.

When you say some people will be affected, sure I agree a non-zero number could be influenced. But I think it's such a small effect that if you want to be that precise you also need to account for all the possible benefits to some people. I haven't heard that even mentioned, which I attribute to a general assumed conclusion, rather than a real consideration. That's fine. But I won't criticize those in the league taking a bit more balanced approach.

I see the biggest risk to this endeavor as someone directly involved contracting the virus and directly or proximally leading to a bad health outcome. If you doubt the league's ability to do this safely, I'd understand that a lot more.

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
"However, professor Wilhelm Bloch, from the German Sports University in Cologne, warns that contracting the coronavirus has the potential to end a player's career.

"There is a risk that top athletes may lose their level of performance and never regain it," Bloch told AFP in a phone interview.

"Generally, the physical makeup, immune system and cardiovascular system of elite athletes means that the risk to them is low.

"However, we do not know at this time whether even minor infections, or even mild symptoms, do not cause damage, such as minor scarring of the lungs after an inflammation.

"This damage may be irreversible, or may last a very long time before the body repairs it.

"We've already had players infected in Europe and we'll soon know if they recover their full potential."

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I agree that this has become extremely tribal for some people. I honestly don't see the nba returning as having any influence amounting to anything greater than a butterfly effect influence.

When you say some people will be affected, sure I agree a non-zero number could be influenced. But I think it's such a small effect that if you want to be that precise you also need to account for all the possible benefits to some people. I haven't heard that even mentioned, which I attribute to a general assumed conclusion, rather than a real consideration. That's fine. But I won't criticize those in the league taking a bit more balanced approach.

I see the biggest risk to this endeavor as someone directly involved contracting the virus and directly or proximally leading to a bad health outcome. If you doubt the league's ability to do this safely, I'd understand that a lot more.

Well of course I doubt the league’s ability to do this safety - meaning I have a degree of doubt.  That’s because we’ve never done anything like this before and we have a novel virus that continues to spring surprises.  Yes, I see the risk bigger than you do.  I don’t know that I’m correct that the risk outweigh the benefits  - I just think I am.

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Well of course I doubt the league’s ability to do this safety - meaning I have a degree of doubt.  That’s because we’ve never done anything like this before and we have a novel virus that continues to spring surprises.  Yes, I see the risk bigger than you do.  I don’t know that I’m correct that the risk outweigh the benefits  - I just think I am.

Let me put it this way, do you trust the NBA's ability to do this successfully less than you do the ability of the federal government or your local government and local businesses? Someone has to do it, and basically almost everyone is doing it with much less guidance, expertise, resources, etc. than what the NBA has.