Author Topic: Why did people sympathise with Scottie Pippen?  (Read 1823 times)

Why did people sympathise with Scottie Pippen?
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I know this may be a zag but I don't get why people then and now felt sorry/anger over how under paid Scottie Pippen was. He signed a contract and like everyone else in business or life...and that contract is binding. If in year two of the deal, Pippen tore his ACL or Achilles and was a below average player for the rest of his contract would he give back the money because he was overpaid? He hedged on the long term safety and lost, he should be blaming his agent not Jerry Krause.

All that should have happened is that Krause communicate that he will make max income for his next contract as long as he is with the team and perhaps beyond in a management position. But the whole situation was exacerbated but Pippen's sulking and overall poor attitude.

I also don't believe that rubbish that Jerry Reinsdorf told him not to sign such a long deal that is an obvious face saving lie

Re: Why did people sympathise with Scottie Pippen?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:33:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Who what where...This post is missing the what. As in what are you talking about?

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who what where...This post is missing the what. As in what are you talking about?
On social media there’s been a large outpouring of pity for Pippen as he signed a bad contract for the Bulls. It’s a relevant story because of the MJ documentary that’s being released every week.

I think Pippen more than made up for it in Portland
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1. Watching the games again makes me appreciate how talented he was. Jordan doesn’t win 3 titles without him.
2. Never will forget playoff game when Phil Jackson called Kukoc to take game winning shot (he made it) and Pippen just sulked. Bad look.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 01:07:40 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I personally felt bad because he signed the contract in order to provide for his family (12 siblings, 1 brother and his father both in wheelchairs). If anyone deserved a restructuring or some sort of special bonus/contract treatment from the Bulls it was Pippen.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 03:31:52 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
These players make their own decisions. He didn't have to sign that deal. And I'm not gonna feel bad for a guy who made more than 99% of the people on Earth ever have or will.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Should he have been paid more in those seven years? Yes, a helluva lot.

Does he end up making enough money in his life? Yes, he'll be ok.

I'd rather have 6 rings and 18 million dollars over seven years as opposed to 0 rings and 140 million dollars, but maybe that's just me.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The dude earned about $110M in salary during his time in the NBA. I understand he was probably underpaid during his prime with CHI, but he was significantly overpaid after that time. This is a very strange concern people seem to have. Larry Bird earned, what, $24M over his career, and let's not even talk about guys like Russell and Wilt (obviously before the time the NBA blew up). All I am saying is, let's not feel bad for Scottie Pippen. He is doing alright.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:30:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Especially in these times, there are many more people out there who are far more deserving of our sympathy.

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 06:13:36 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Sympathy lies in the fact that it's a bummer to be a top talent in your field (whatever it is) and make money equivalent to someone in the 72nd percentile of that field for the majority of your best years in that field.

So, yes, that was a drag for Scottie.  And it would be a drag for anyone, regardless of the actual sums being discussed.

I don't think he'll need to crowdfund his food in the near future, though, so I don't have sympathy for the person in the present: just sympathy for the situation at the time (as anyone who has ever been underpaid can appreciate).

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Didnt like Pippen then and don’t now
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin