Author Topic: May Lottery & Combine Postponed Per Woj  (Read 2383 times)

May Lottery & Combine Postponed Per Woj
« on: May 01, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can't say I'm surprised but still a bummer.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The NBA postponed the May Draft Lottery and Combine today, sources tell ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: May Lottery & Combine Postponed Per Woj
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

I was gonna say that postponing the lottery makes no sense (since you could do it remotely, like the NFL draft), but I guess you really can't without big changes. Right now it's done in a back room in front of representatives from each involved team, so you would have to replace that WITHOUT risking the info getting out (or make that the actual show, but watching each ball come up to then be compared to a chart wouldn't be as good of a show

It could also have to do with the NBA not being sure what they want with the rest of the season, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 05:02:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

I was gonna say that postponing the lottery makes no sense (since you could do it remotely, like the NFL draft), but I guess you really can't without big changes. Right now it's done in a back room in front of representatives from each involved team, so you would have to replace that WITHOUT risking the info getting out (or make that the actual show, but watching each ball come up to then be compared to a chart wouldn't be as good of a show

It could also have to do with the NBA not being sure what they want with the rest of the season, though

Yeah, I think that's a big part.  KOC was speculating that the draft could be in August or September.   I think a Xmas Opening Night is looking more & more likely if this pandemic subsides.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Yeah, I think that's a big part.  KOC was speculating that the draft could be in August or September.   I think a Xmas Opening Night is looking more & more likely if this pandemic subsides.

Hopefully a second wave this winter doesn't wipe out next season as well.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
How can we have a lottery? We don't even know if the regular season has completed.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

adam silver wants to restart the season. It isn’t finished

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

adam silver wants to restart the season. It isn’t finished

Is that based off a recent statement from Silver or something? Just wondering, I haven't had the chance to keep up with the media reports,

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Majority of high-level officials optimistic season will continue, and also pushing start of 2020-2021 season to December.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:43:07 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I don’t understand why there’s such a desperate push to finish this season.  Now we’re abbreviating two seasons just to finish one?

No one ever seems to have a problem with this when there’s a lockout
Greg

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
They have to cancel the 2019-2020 season..I see no way they can restart it with no vaccine in sight..they be lucky to play on October
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
How about the early entry  candidates who, if they decide to return to college, have to do so by September.....also cannot have draft while season is still in play due to trades of picks

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 09:08:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
They have to cancel the 2019-2020 season..I see no way they can restart it with no vaccine in sight..they be lucky to play on October

Agree ,    without a vaccine , they may have to play a crowdless NEXT season , until a good portion of the country is vaccinated and a second round of covid is avoided.    Another outbreak this winter could put another season for indoor major sports in jeopardy.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 09:42:02 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
NBA should do a 3-week long March Madness style playoffs in Las Vegas/Orlando to determine the winner.  Best of 3 for the Finals.  Top 6 seeds in each conference guaranteed spots.  Teams 7-14 in each conference play a play-in tournament for the last 2 spots.  Can be done in June in front of no fans, while they'll have their best TV ratings in history and don't disrupt any offseason stuff. 

Play-in Tourney:
Thursday: 7/14 & 10/11 seeds
Friday: 8/13 & 9/12 seeds
Saturday:  Winners of the Thursday games play for a playoff spot
Sunday:  Winners of the Friday games play for a playoff spot

Playoffs (following week):
Tuesday: 1/"8" (play-in lowest seed) & 4/5
Wednesday: 2/"7" & 3/6
Thursday:  Winners of Thursday games
Friday:  Winners of Friday games
Sunday:  Conference championships

Following week:
Tuesday/Wednesday: Finals game 1
Friday: Finals game 2
Sunday: Finals game 3 (if necessary)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur