Author Topic: Lebron turns 36 next season. Do we finally see a drop in production from him?  (Read 3185 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This guy is always in the mvp race Every year but he turns 36 in december. If this season gets cancelled, could that doldrum and lack of activity affect him? I’m sure at the moment he doesn’t have access to a lot of services he usually gets. That also could be a big destroyer of production for him

Father Time is always undefeated. It’s a matter of when will he get affected

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm not sure at this point. I think his defence will continue to decline, but his offensive game will likely stay the same - he's fully shifted his offence into early 90s Magic Johnson. I don't see that declining much for the next few years.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His defence will continue to get worse, but his offence isn’t as reliant on athleticism anymore, as he’s completely taken on the role of a playmaker first.

However, if (or when) AD goes down with an injury, I think he’ll be in trouble. Another thing is his shooting is not that good. He’s a lot more dependent on another guy for scoring.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me if he turned into a remarkable 3pt shooting PG.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He can still gather the energy and make a special play no doubt , he is not cooked yet.  He can pass .  But , its a good and bad thing , he is a ball hog , every play starts though him ,  he can't seem to be able to be a second option or later part of play .   As he slows and his overall energy diminishes , i think he can be held in check by a Brown / Tatum young player or Smart harassment  .  Somebody with quick springs in their legs,  like Timelord , can make his drives more difficult and he ll,be weary of rejections around the bucket  .  We have players to limit an old James , but not so much an answer for AD.   James needs the refs more than ever to give him the benefit of all the closer calls.  He should be somewhat effective like PP or KG though 37 , I think .  38 and up , he is gonna do ALOT or ton of standing and watching on defense.

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Can’t wait to see him finally decline.  Not a bad guy I think. But ugh he’s killed us for so long. Can’t wait to see him lose it!! 😄👍 the sooner the better. 😄

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
There are moments where he looks like Marcus Smart on his drives, struggling to beat his man, struggling to get any lift on the finish.

Those moments will become less rare, but he can still be a dynamic offensive floor presence and timely defensive presence for the next 5 years.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
His defence will continue to get worse, but his offence isn’t as reliant on athleticism anymore, as he’s completely taken on the role of a playmaker first.

However, if (or when) AD goes down with an injury, I think he’ll be in trouble. Another thing is his shooting is not that good. He’s a lot more dependent on another guy for scoring.
I agree - his exploitative passing is a bit dependent on having guys who have their own gravity/are great off-ball threats, so he won't do well with a setup that's perfect for him when he was younger (ie. lots of finishers and floor spacers who can't create but can defend).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I can only hope so.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Maybe a drop in minutes and a continued decline in the amount of time that he spends trying on defense.

I dont' really expect that his efficiency or per-minute production will go down until he gets closer to 40. 

Missing the playoffs last year and then missing all this time this year due to 'rona will probably mitigate against all the mileage on his legs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I've always felt Lebron would play at a high level until 37-38. Still think so, and I actually think in some ways, this shortened season might benefit him over the next year or two as he gets more rest.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Before this season, I would have thought he would decline. In fact, he has done the opposite.  As long as the Lakers can limit his minutes, I expect he will be able to produce another MVP type performance next season. Dude is still very hungry, and very disciplined.  Kudos to him.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Won't get much drop off from LeBron overall...some defensively of course but he'll stay a top player for the next couple of years.

His (and LAL's) window IS closing, though...and Covid-19 isn't helping things for ANY one.

We can't be 100% sure AD will resign in LAL...it's a probable I'd guess but not definite.

His agent has already alluded to AD testing the waters next season - and CHI is becoming an interesting suitor as they clean up THEIR organization....

Lots of loose ends to be tied up...LeBron doesn't have long at the top but I'm enjoying the ride while he's here.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Won't get much drop off from LeBron overall...some defensively of course but he'll stay a top player for the next couple of years.

His (and LAL's) window IS closing, though...and Covid-19 isn't helping things for ANY one.

We can't be 100% sure AD will resign in LAL...it's a probable I'd guess but not definite.

His agent has already alluded to AD testing the waters next season - and CHI is becoming an interesting suitor as they clean up THEIR organization....

Lots of loose ends to be tied up...LeBron doesn't have long at the top but I'm enjoying the ride while he's here.

Can you imagine if Davis did go to Chicago? I know it's unlikely, but imagine how that would shift the league.

Then imagine how Lebron responds. He'd likely ask for a trade. Here's my three favorite.

Nets: Lavert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Harris, and two future firsts for Lebron.

Miami: Olynyk, Herro, Nunn, salary filler, and a first for Lebron

Toronto: Ibaka, Van Fleet (sign and trade), OG, and future firsts for Lebron.

All three Eastern teams.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Can you imagine if Davis did go to Chicago? I know it's unlikely, but imagine how that would shift the league.

Then imagine how Lebron responds. He'd likely ask for a trade. Here's my three favorite.

Nets: Lavert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Harris, and two future firsts for Lebron.

Miami: Olynyk, Herro, Nunn, salary filler, and a first for Lebron

Toronto: Ibaka, Van Fleet (sign and trade), OG, and future firsts for Lebron.

All three Eastern teams.

Didn't LeBron go to LA in the first place because he wanted to be there while his kid went to school?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain