Poll

If you were Minny, which offer would you have taken?

MIA: Winslow Dragic and a draft pick
1 (11.1%)
MIA: Josh Richardson and a first round pick
1 (11.1%)
HOU: four first round picks, Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss
6 (66.7%)
HOU: Eric Gordon, Nene, two first round picks
0 (0%)
NO: Mirotic and an unprotected first round pick
0 (0%)
PHI: Covington, Saric, 2022 2nd
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Shams details some offers for Butler (Heat, Pelicans, Rockets)  (Read 1957 times)

Shams details some offers for Butler (Heat, Pelicans, Rockets)
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
https://theathletic.com/542682/2018/11/12/jimmy-butler-saga-diary-of-dysfunction-a-day-by-day-look/

tl;dr

Miami offered:
(1) Winslow Dragic and a draft pick (9/23)
(2) Josh Richardson and a first round pick (10/5)
(3) Miami took Josh Richardson off the table (11/6)

Houston offered:
(1) four first round picks, Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss (10/6)
(2) Eric Gordon, Nene, two first round picks (11/6)

New Orleans offered Mirotic and an unprotected first round pick (11/6)

https://twitter.com/packcomingback/status/1062043033095561216

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:16:27 PM by rondofan1255 »

Re: Shams details some offers for Butler (Heat, Pelicans, Rockets)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://theathletic.com/542682/2018/11/12/jimmy-butler-saga-diary-of-dysfunction-a-day-by-day-look/

tl;dr

Miami offered:
(1) Winslow Dragic and a draft pick (9/23)
(2) Josh Richardson and a first round pick (10/5)
(3) Miami took Josh Richardson off the table (11/6)

Houston offered:
(1) four first round picks, Brandon Knight, Marquese Chriss (10/6)
(2) Eric Gordon, Nene, two first round picks (11/6)

New Orleans offered Mirotic and an unprotected first round pick (11/6)

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1062041320263434240

Jimmy Butler decided Friday would be his final game indefinitely with the Timberwolves. The final three offers. And much more. @TheAthleticNBA piece with @JonKrawczynski on the play-by-play of unprecedented two-month saga:

https://twitter.com/packcomingback/status/1062043033095561216

Man I think I would have taken Winslow, Dragic and a pick.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I would have taken Houston's first offer.  Minnesota has Wiggins and Towns locked up for a long time and aren't close to winning.  Might as well build around them for the long haul. 

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would have taken Houston's first offer.  Minnesota has Wiggins and Towns locked up for a long time and aren't close to winning.  Might as well build around them for the long haul.
Yeah, really surprised they didn’t take that with the short window the Rockets have
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Yeah, really surprised they didn’t take that with the short window the Rockets have

Yeah, it could have worked out similar to the Nets/Celtics trade for them with it paying off with Wiggins and Towns in their prime.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Yeah, it could have worked out similar to the Nets/Celtics trade for them with it paying off with Wiggins and Towns in their prime.

Yep. Those picks would have given them enormous flexibility. With the potential for a rapid Rockets' decline looming, the value of those picks could skyrocket in relatively short time.

They could be used as currency in trades to surround Wiggins and Towns with talent.

Or the Wolves could have done a mini rebuild via free agency, using the picks in a few years like the C's did.

Or blow it up completely, trading Wiggins and Towns and using literally a chest full of draft picks try to draft a juggernaut team full of young talented competitors.

Instead they went the Covington/Saric route.

Idiots.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I would like to see a New Orleans team with Jrue Holiday, Jimmy Butler, and Anthony Davis.  The D would be awesome.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm a little surprised Minny couldn't wring a first rounder out of Philly but I think they took the best offer. I like Saric and I like his fit next to Towns better than his fit with Embiid and Simmons. Covington allegedly has value as a 3-and-D wing, which they need, I've just never seen him do it against the Celtics for some reason.

But that makes for a solid starting 5 for Minnesota. We'll see what removing Butler from the locker room does.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yep. Those picks would have given them enormous flexibility. With the potential for a rapid Rockets' decline looming, the value of those picks could skyrocket in relatively short time.

They could be used as currency in trades to surround Wiggins and Towns with talent.

Or the Wolves could have done a mini rebuild via free agency, using the picks in a few years like the C's did.

Or blow it up completely, trading Wiggins and Towns and using literally a chest full of draft picks try to draft a juggernaut team full of young talented competitors.

Idiots.
You don't know what the protections on those picks were.  Minny is also more focused on the present than the future and they also want to avoid the luxury tax.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I'm a little surprised Minny couldn't wring a first rounder out of Philly but I think they took the best offer. I like Saric and I like his fit next to Towns better than his fit with Embiid and Simmons. Covington allegedly has value as a 3-and-D wing, which they need, I've just never seen him do it against the Celtics for some reason.

But that makes for a solid starting 5 for Minnesota. We'll see what removing Butler from the locker room does.
Minny lost a lot of leverage and options when they didn't put Butler on the market in the offseason.  Starting Saric with Towns is going to make Minny's defense even worse.   

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Minny lost a lot of leverage and options when they didn't put Butler on the market in the offseason.  Starting Saric with Towns is going to make Minny's defense even worse.   

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
When Minnesota still misses the playoffs Thibs will still get the axe at the end of the season. Glen Taylor should have stepped in and took that Houston offer.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Idiots.
You don't know what the protections on those picks were.  Minny is also more focused on the present than the future and they also want to avoid the luxury tax.

If their goal is to avoid championships, then they are well on their way. Because their "present" is missing the playoffs and their "future" will be first-round exits - maybe a second-round exit in an exceptional year. That roster sucks. They will never learn.

Idiots.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Idiots.

If their goal is to avoid championships, then they are well on their way. Because their "present" is missing the playoffs and their "future" will be first-round exits - maybe a second-round exit in an exceptional year. That roster sucks. They will never learn.

Idiots.
Not every team's goal is championships.  Minny hadn't made the playoffs for something like 12 years before last season.  I think the Minny owner would be happy with a consistent playoff team that makes it into the 2nd round occasionally and has good fan attendance (currently 29th I think).  Those draft picks are unlikely to lead to a championship anyway being spread over 7 years and probably with protections.  Even without protections, the Minny brain trust would probably screw them up.     

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Poll added!