Author Topic: Celtics (49-14) at Trail Blazers (18-45) Game #64 3/11/24  (Read 5039 times)

Celtics (49-14) at Trail Blazers (18-45) Game #64 3/11/24
« on: March 10, 2024, 10:56:08 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (49-14) at Portland Trail Blazers (18-45)
Monday, March 11, 2024
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #64, Road Game #32
TV: NBAQ-TV, NBCSB,  ROOT-SP+
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, Rip City Radio 620
Moda Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Jrue Holiday vs Anfernee Simons

Shooting Guard

vs
Derrick White vs Delano Banton

Small Forward
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Kris Murray

Power Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs Toumani Camara

Center
vs
Al Horford vs Deandre Ayton

Celtics Reserves
Oshae Brissett
Sam Hauser
Luke Kornet
Svi Mykhailiuk
Payton Pritchard
Jordan Walsh
Xavier Tillman
Jaden Springer

2 Way Players
JD Davison
Neemias Queta
Drew Peterson

Injuries/Out
Jaylen Brown (pelvis) questionable
Jayson Tatum (ankle) questionable
Derrick White (hand) questionable
Jrue Holiday (knee) questionable
Kristaps Porzingis (hamstring) out

Head Coach

Joe Mazzulla

Trail Blazers Reserves
Moses Brown
Duop Reath
Rayan Rupert
Matisse Thybulle
Scoot Henderson

Two-Way Players
Ibou Badji
Ashton Hagans
Justin Minaya

Injuries/Out
Malcolm Brogdon (elbow) out
Shaedon Sharpe (abdomen) out
Jabari Walker (hip) out
Robert Walker III (knee) out
Jerami Grant (hamstring) questionable

Head Coach
Chauncey Billups

Game Notes
The Celtics continue their road trip with a stop in Portland to take on the Trail Blazers.  This is the first of 2 meetings between these two teams this season.  They will meet a second time in Boston on April 7.  The Celtics won the series 2-0 last season.  They are 73-49 all time overall and they are 34-27 in games played in Portland. 

The Celtics are 1st in the East.  They are 8 games ahead of 2nd place Milwaukee, 8.5 games ahead of 3rd place Cleveland, 12.5 games ahead of 4th place New York, 13 games ahead of 5th place Orlando and 13.5 ahead of 6th place Philadelphia.  They are 20-11 on the road and 8-2 in their last 10 games.  They are 16-7 against Western Conference teams and are coming off a win in their last game.

The Trail Blazers are 14th in the West, 4.5 games ahead of last place San Antonio.  They are 3 games behind 13th place Memphis, 9.5 games behind 12th place Utah and 15 games behind the final play in spot.  They are 10-22 at home and 3-7 in their last 10 games.  They are 10-10 against Eastern Conference teams and are coming off a win in their last game.

The Celtics are playing in the 4th game of a 6 game home stand.   They are 2-1 so far, having lost to Oklahoma City and Houston and then they beat Toronto on Saturday.  They will host Altlanta and New York to finish off their home stand.  They will then play at New Orleans and Chicago before facing the Clippers at home twice and then Denver, followed by a 7 game road trip ending in Boston.

The Celtics' entire starting lineup is listed on the injury report.  Jayson Tatum (ankle), Jaylen Brown (pelvis), Derrick White (hand) and Jrue Holiday (knee) are all listed as questionable.  Kristaps Porzingis (hamstring) is listed as out.   Tatum, Brown, White and Holiday are listed as a game time decision.  With it being the first of back to back games, the Celtics may opt to be cautious and keep them out if there is any question about their injuries.  I don't know who will be out and who will play and who will get the start if some are out.  Al Horford will likely start at center but the rest of the lineup is up in the air. 

The Trail Blazers have Shaedon Sharp (abdomen), Jabari Walker (hip), Malcolm Brogdon (elbow) and Robert Williams III (knee) out for this contest.  Scoot Henderson returned from and 8 game absence with an adductor injury on Saturday.  He came off the bench in that game and may return to the starting lineup or may continue off the bench in this one.  Deandre Ayton returned from a hand injury on Saturday and finished with 30 points and 19 rebounds and should remain in the starting lineup for this game.

Key Matchups
vs
Jrue Holiday vs Anfernee Simons
Simons is averaging 22.9 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 5.5 assists per game.  He is shooting 43.1% from the field and 38.9% from beyond the arc.  He is their most consistent player and slowing him down will go a long way toward getting a win.  As I stated above, Holiday may or may not play but I'm not sure who would start here if he sits. 

vs
Al Horford vs Deandre Ayton
Ayton is averaging 14.7 points, 10.8 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.1 steals per game.   He is shooting 56.9% from the field and does not shoot 3 pointers.  He returned Saturday after missing time with a hand injury and finished with 30 points and 19 rebounds.  The Celtics need to keep him out of the paint and off the boards. 

Honorable Mention
Derrick White vs Delano Banton
Banton will be facing  his former team for the first time since being traded.  He is averaging 6.2 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game on the year.  In his last game against the Raptors, he finished with 25 points (9-16, 5-8), 7 rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 blocks.  Scoot Henderson returned in that game from an 8 game absence and came off the bench.  He may return to the starting lineup in this game and White may or may not play. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - I know I say it every game, but defense is the key to winning every game.   The Blazers average 108.1 points and the Celtics average 120.7 points per game.  The Celtics are 2nd in the league with a defensive rating of 110.3 while the Blazers are 21st with a defensive rating of 116.7.  The Celtics need to keep making tough defense their priority and identity.  They must make defense their identity consistently in every minute of every game, especially as they get closer to the playoffs.

Rebound -  The Celtics are 1st with 47.2 rebounds per game while the Trail Blazers are 24th with 42 rebounds per game.  The Celtics must make an extra effort to grab rebounds in order to give themselves extra possessions as well as to keep the Blazers from scoring second chance points.   The Celtics must be the team that works harder on the boards if they want to win this one.  Much of rebounding is effort and desire and the Celtics need both to get a win in this game. 

Be Aggressive -  The Celtics have to be the team that works harder and wants the win more.  They have to dive for loose balls, go for every rebound and just hustle on every play on both ends of the court.  They have to be aggressive in getting to the basket as well and not settle for outside shots, especially if they aren't falling. The Celtics have lost games they should have won by not playing as hard as their opponents.  They can't let the Blazers be the team that works harder if they want to win this game.

Don't Get Complacent -  They are first in the league, 8 games ahead of the 2nd place Bucks.  They are playing a bad Trail Blazers team with several players  out.  The Celtics need to come out ready to play their best and not play down to a short handed Blazers team thinking they can coast to a win without giving a strong team effort.  If one or more of the Celtics starters sit, then the reserves who replace them need to up their game to make up for playing short handed. 

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics are on the road and have to deal with travel, a hostile crowd, and an unfamiliar court along with a time change.  They have to block out all the distractions that playing on the road brings and concentrate on playing Celtics basketball. The Moda Center has a great atmosphere for the home team and the Celtics will need to work hard to beat them there.  With travel and jet lag,  fatigue may become a factor in this one. 

Injuries - Both teams are dealing with players out for one reason or another.  It goes without saying that if several of the Celtics starters can play,  the game would be much easier.  Also, if some of the Blazers can return then it would give them a boost.   Depth will come into play for both teams. 

Officiating -  I know that I say this every game,  but the officiating really is always an x-factor in every game.  Every crew calls the game differently whether they call every little ticky tack foul or they let a lot of contact go and let the teams play.  Some refs favor the home team and some not so much.  The Celtics have got to adjust to the way the game is being called and not let themselves get frustrated by the officiating. 

Re: Celtics (49-14) at Trail Blazers (18-45) Game #64 3/11/24
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:05:18 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
The whole starting 5 is doubtful haha! Let the Bus One boys take care of business!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 11:05:57 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  radiohead  for being the first to  post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Trail Blazers!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 05:38:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Could be brutal out there... Portland are THIN

EDIT: We could be thinner!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:54:51 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Man....I am all for resting guys but this might backfire.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 08:41:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So the brutal question for East-Coasters is: Stay up until 1:00am to watch a bunch of scrubs beat other scrubs?  I'm over-stating the case, I know.  Fortunately for me, I'm retired so I can actually consider this question.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 08:56:41 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So the brutal question for East-Coasters is: Stay up until 1:00am to watch a bunch of scrubs beat other scrubs?  I'm over-stating the case, I know.  Fortunately for me, I'm retired so I can actually consider this question.

I would like to but with the time change and the late start I just can't.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Our entire starting lineup on the bench today:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:00:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

That is great, TP for the chuckle.

I wonder if we will see Davison and Peterson?  I guess Queta is also able to play?

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 10:11:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

I wonder if we will see Davison and Peterson?  I guess Queta is also able to play?

TP as well, memes/GIFs/jokes are my specialty  ;)

I'm sort of half joking but with 20 games to go and a 5+ game lead on the entire league (and 8+ in the East), I wouldn't mind just rotating rest with all our guys including Tatum. Why risk something major right now?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think we see at least 2 starters play tonight. Some sort of combination of JT, JB, Jrue and White along with Al.

Don't think they throw out a hockey line change and sit the entire starting 5

My guess would be:

White
Hauser
JT
AL
Kornet

PP, Brissett. X, Queta, Springer off the bench

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

TP as well, memes/GIFs/jokes are my specialty  ;)

I'm sort of half joking but with 20 games to go and a 5+ game lead on the entire league (and 8+ in the East), I wouldn't mind just rotating rest with all our guys including Tatum. Why risk something major right now?

Other than Porzingis, I don't see any need for an over abundance of caution.  Even Horford, I see nothing in his play that makes we think he needs more rest than the managed minutes plan they have had him on all season (no back to backs).  For everyone else, if they are banged up or something, give them a night off but I don't feel like we need to give players nights off just for the sake of having some extra rest.  Just keep playing, doing what we have been doing all season.  We have the luxury that if someone does tweak an ankle or bang their knee or whatever, we can rest them.  Don't let something like that linger.  And if it is a blowout, get the starters out as early as possible.  But I don't see the need to go beyond that at this point, other than Porzingis, as I said.  If Porzingis even sneezes, rest him.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 12:05:15 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 01:42:36 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I've got tickets to the game tonight and I hope I see a professional type game.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 03:46:41 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
White, JB and JT are IN tonight.

KP and Jrue are OUT tonight.

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2024, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell