Author Topic: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance  (Read 3985 times)

Re: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny picks well at the top of the draft...but struggles in the mid rounds...Melo, Sullinger, Young, Giddens, etc all were not good picks.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:48:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Danny picks well at the top of the draft...but struggles in the mid rounds...Melo, Sullinger, Young, Giddens, etc all were not good picks.
It's entertaining how the story changes. People were saying exactly the opposite after Ainge picked up Allen, West, Perkins, Jefferson, Bradley, and Rondo (I'm sure I'm forgetting someone).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
James Young one of the biggest busts I can remember. Along with Fab Melo.

If he was still here there would still be a contingent that would be saying that he is still too young to give up on him.

Lol true

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

He also got Avery Bradley, Rajon Rondo, Tony Allen, and Al Jefferson in the middle of the draft. It's hit and miss.

There's also an argument for Sullinger as a good pick at #21. I know that sounds crazy because the Celtics let him walk for nothing and he's out of the league at 25 but getting 3 years of 12 and 8 form the #21 pick isn't bad. Sure Draymond Green would've been better but Perry Jones (there was a lot of noise that the C's should've drafted him) would've been worse. I don't mind it, I guess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Hindsight is 20-20.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Sullinger was a good pick and a productive player
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Despite the outcome, I have defended and will continue to defend the James Young pick.  Young was a high upside guy - top 10 recruit coming out of high school, arguably Kentucky's most consistent player on a team that played in the title game.  There were reasons for optimism.   Hood has turned out better, but we didn't know that was going to be the case at the time the pick was made.  That's the risk of upside picks - sometimes you miss.  It's easy to judge draft picks when you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Also, how is it "missing out on Nance" when he was selected before our pick?  Was Danny supposed to hold the Lakers at gunpoint and make them pick somebody else?  Or was he supposed to trade extra assets to move up and select a guy who is just decent? 

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

As an Ohio State alum...I love Sully. But the fact is Boston did not get nearly enough out of him.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

As an Ohio State alum...I love Sully. But the fact is Boston did not get nearly enough out of him.

That doesn't make it a bad pick.  We got more out of Sully than teams typically get out of the #21 pick historically. 

If you want to criticize Boston's inability to develop him, then I wouldn't argue with you there.  But he was a good pick. 

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Despite the outcome, I have defended and will continue to defend the James Young pick.  Young was a high upside guy - top 10 recruit coming out of high school, arguably Kentucky's most consistent player on a team that played in the title game.  There were reasons for optimism.   Hood has turned out better, but we didn't know that was going to be the case at the time the pick was made.  That's the risk of upside picks - sometimes you miss.  It's easy to judge draft picks when you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Also, how is it "missing out on Nance" when he was selected before our pick?  Was Danny supposed to hold the Lakers at gunpoint and make them pick somebody else?  Or was he supposed to trade extra assets to move up and select a guy who is just decent?

That is the way I saw it. I believed Young had the immense potential and I definitely think as Danny said himself, "he was a project with high reward but low risk." Most late first round lottery picks don't pan out, and agreed about the Nance. But Nance would've been a fan favorite, and I think he would've been better off being drafted by us personally, especially in Steven's offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I want to hear from Celtics fans that knew a lot about the Greek Freak before he came to the NBA. During the draft, I remember being intrigued by him, but knew little about the big guy.

Nobody knew about Yannis.....

Nobody was interested n him till a Spanish team tried to sign him. Then a couple of first division teams started scouting him but it was a bit late.  It was impossible to judge his bball abilities and his athleticism  because of the level of the rest of the league. He was a tall agile extremely thin guy who couldn't make a basket further than the paint playing against mostly Sunday leaguers..... The level of the Greek A2 league is low.... I am mean seriously low!!!! I ve posted once a couple of youtube links with full games to judge it yourselves. If anyone wants to hurt his eyes i can post some links again .... I would advise against it though :)

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

That doesn't make it a bad pick.  We got more out of Sully than teams typically get out of the #21 pick historically. 

If you want to criticize Boston's inability to develop him, then I wouldn't argue with you there.  But he was a good pick.

More of that he had a bad back at OSU he suffered through as well as the weight issue. It would have been nice for him to be still playing

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.
I agree that Harris was the big miss there but hood was a moderate miss too. I just mention hood because he helped create this 30 pt defeat today  while James young was probably smoking marijuana somewhere

Isn't James Young on the 76ers

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 01:50:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Sully was the best out of everyone you listed there.

At one point I almost called him mini Kevin Love because of his rebounding machine and scoring. At least in his early days of the NBA.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.
I agree that Harris was the big miss there but hood was a moderate miss too. I just mention hood because he helped create this 30 pt defeat today  while James young was probably smoking marijuana somewhere

Isn't James Young on the 76ers
He is one of their 2 way players.  He has played in 5 games this year, but with poor stats.  he is doing well in the GLeague though, so maybe one day he will be an end of the bench type player in the NBA.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip