Author Topic: The Celtics Should Trade Marcus Smart  (Read 4619 times)

Re: The Celtics Should Trade Marcus Smart
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 09:57:17 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
This is a bad idea. He is the last guy we should consider trading under the circumstances. Our team identity can be molded around him. Accountability. Smart and Brad Stevens. 

Why would you suggest trading someone just so they deserve to get a ring somewhere, to the detriment of your own team? I don't understand this sentiment at all.  Especially from you.

Because I honestly think the Celts are almost starting over from scratch with horford gone. They are going to be bad.

The question is are they going to be merely mediocre or are they going to be bad enough to have good lottery odds.
Mediocre - which is worse than bottoming out.

Did people not pay attention to the last lottery?  The odds have smoothed out for the bottom feeders.  Cleveland and Phoenix are picking 5th and 6th.  NO, Mem, and LAL got 1, 2, and 4.  There isn't really a benefit to being super terrible.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Like all suggested trades, it depends on what they are getting in return. They should absolutely be willing to trade Smart if it's a good deal, but only if it really helps the team. He's a good player on a good contract, it's not wise to trade him just to trade him.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I agree with the premise that Marcus will win us some games and maybe hurt draft position. Get us in the playoffs when we wouldn't otherwise.

But I don't think we're headed to the bottom. If Hayward is closer to his old self, we're probably a playoff team.

In any event, I think Marcus can be a valuable piece if and when we're a great team. We should hold onto him.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 10:19:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Honestly this is where I'm at right now:

The idea of going back to being the gathering of misfit toys team that the Celts were before horford came here and gave the team a really superlative centerpiece, without even having the fun of a dynamic underdog presence like isaiah Thomas, is just too depressing.

Feels like well, what's the point?  There's no replacing horford. This is gonna be a multiple season process. Might as well tank and go full youth. No sense in half measures.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 06:22:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, I expect Smart to take a step back next season without Kyrie here. Smart improved his shot selection in large part due to Kyrie being able to shoulder a lot of the offensive burden for the team.

(1) With Kyrie gone and no PG to replace him and (2) now Horford gone and a serious lack of passing ability throughout the roster ... Smart as the de facto PG = Smart is going to be forced into a lot of situations where he is forced to do more than he is capable of.

Late shot clock situations. Forcing the issue because nobody else can get consistent dribble penetration.

There is a lot of bad shots coming back into Smart's repertoire. His shooting numbers are going to drop off badly next year. He isn't going to be able to maintain his shooting of last season. And his trade value and on court value will both take a hit because of this.

Therefore, I agree that this is the best time to trade Smart. His value will never be higher than it is today.

I also believe Smart is the wrong fit at PG next to Jaylen and Tatum because he doesn't create enough opportunities on offense for himself or others.

And with Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward = opportunities are limited at SG long term for Smart because there is already a serious overload at SF that takes minutes away from where Smart could have a long term future here.

Which means Smart is more of a 6th man backup combo guard long term. Which is good but not a building block.

All in all, I would happily trade Smart to add more viable long term assets. To find someone who fits in better with Jaylen and Tatum. Whether that is a player or a future draft pick.

So yes, I would like to trade Smart too. He is my favourite player on this team and has been since he has got here ... but I do believe now is the time to move him on.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yeah, I expect Smart to take a step back next season without Kyrie here. Smart improved his shot selection in large part due to Kyrie being able to shoulder a lot of the offensive burden for the team.

(1) With Kyrie gone and no PG to replace him and (2) now Horford gone and a serious lack of passing ability throughout the roster ... Smart as the de facto PG = Smart is going to be forced into a lot of situations where he is forced to do more than he is capable of.

Late shot clock situations. Forcing the issue because nobody else can get consistent dribble penetration.

There is a lot of bad shots coming back into Smart's repertoire. His shooting numbers are going to drop off badly next year. He isn't going to be able to maintain his shooting of last season. And his trade value and on court value will both take a hit because of this.

Therefore, I agree that this is the best time to trade Smart. His value will never be higher than it is today.

I also believe Smart is the wrong fit at PG next to Jaylen and Tatum because he doesn't create enough opportunities on offense for himself or others.

And with Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward = opportunities are limited at SG long term for Smart because there is already a serious overload at SF that takes minutes away from where Smart could have a long term future here.

Which means Smart is more of a 6th man backup combo guard long term. Which is good but not a building block.

All in all, I would happily trade Smart to add more viable long term assets. To find someone who fits in better with Jaylen and Tatum. Whether that is a player or a future draft pick.

So yes, I would like to trade Smart too. He is my favourite player on this team and has been since he has got here ... but I do believe now is the time to move him on.

Ugh you kind of convinced me. Lol

If there is a way to move up to the 4th pick to take Garland involving Smart without losing Tatum, Brown, or the Memphis pick I値l be for it.  Ainge might have to get creative taking on a bad contract, or a 3 team deal.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 08:09:59 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Smart can pass the ball. I suspect he値l play well with hayward (assuming we can get a big who knows how to set good screens). It痴 the 2 J痴 that need to take a BIG step forward next year imo. They need to get better at moving without the ball and making faster decisions. Right now, they池e 2 primarily iso players that have average success in getting past their man.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Ugh you kind of convinced me. Lol

If there is a way to move up to the 4th pick to take Garland involving Smart without losing Tatum, Brown, or the Memphis pick I値l be for it. Ainge might have to get creative taking on a bad contract, or a 3 team deal.

This is a very well explained point (TP @ Who). I hate to see Smart play for another team than the Celtics, but now (this summer) is the best time to trade him. Though we need to get back real value and not just a role player, otherwise we could just keep Smart.

Would New Orleans accept: #4 (Darius Garland) + Solomon Hill for #20 + Marcus Smart?

or a 3-team-trade, where we take a flyer on Michael Porter Jr?

To Boston: Michael Porter Jr + Jalen Brunson + Courtney Lee
To Denver: Marcus Smart + Justin Jackson
To Dallas: Gary Harris + Guerschon Yabusele

or get Turner or Sabonis from Indiana (don't think that's possible)?

To Boston: Domantas Sabonis/Myles Turner + Doug McDermott
To Indiana: Marcus Smart + Robert Williams/Guerschon Yabusele + #14 + #20

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 11:02:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.   The Celtics need him.   He provides leadership both on and off the court.   

The Celtics do not need to strip the team to nothing. 

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I agree. I think he's awesome but requires other pieces to be effective. If the Pels will take him and any choices other than the Memphis pick for #4, I'd do it. Garland is the kind of player that makes more sense.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
You spelled Gordon Hayward wrong.

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
First off Smart isn't the only player in the NBA that hustles! He is finally playing good basketball on a fair contract and now we trade him? Don't get me wrong I'd package him to get a better player but not just for the sake of it!

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Gotta wait a few months and recoup his value before they do that.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
First off Smart isn't the only player in the NBA that hustles! He is finally playing good basketball on a fair contract and now we trade him? Don't get me wrong I'd package him to get a better player but not just for the sake of it!

The point is that his value is probably never going to be higher, the team isn't going to be good enough for his hustle to matter, and by the time the Celts are playing meaningful games again smart is likely to have put a lot of wear and tear on his body.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 11:41:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Gotta wait a few months and recoup his value before they do that.
You don't want to trade him for Chris Paul?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)