Author Topic: The Celtics Should Trade Marcus Smart  (Read 4709 times)

The Celtics Should Trade Marcus Smart
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celtics are going to be bad for a few years.

Smart is a winning player.  He's on a good deal and he's still relatively young.  However he's just the sort of player who helps you win games you don't need or want to win. And by the time the Celtics are good again, he will probably have gotten a lot of wear and tear from making lots of hustle plays in meaningless regular season games.

Trade Marcus Smart. He should go be on a team that's competing for titles. I want to see him in the Finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: The Celtics Should Trade Marcus Smart
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 09:26:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trade him to the Clippers after they sign Kawhi & Al
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Slow down.  Let’s see what Ainge can make out of this.  We have a lot of cap space now with lots of different scenarios that could play out.

Giving a 33 year old player a 4 year deal is a risky proposition. 

Unless Smart is in a package for a star I hope we keep him.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is a bad idea. He is the last guy we should consider trading under the circumstances. Our team identity can be molded around him. Accountability. Smart and Brad Stevens. 

Why would you suggest trading someone just so they deserve to get a ring somewhere, to the detriment of your own team? I don't understand this sentiment at all.  Especially from you.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Marcus at this point is a good blend of youth and veteran presence.  I would like to hold on to him.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think you need to do a complete tear down of all young talent under reasonable contract.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This is a bad idea. He is the last guy we should consider trading under the circumstances. Our team identity can be molded around him. Accountability. Smart and Brad Stevens. 

Why would you suggest trading someone just so they deserve to get a ring somewhere, to the detriment of your own team? I don't understand this sentiment at all.  Especially from you.

Because I honestly think the Celts are almost starting over from scratch with horford gone. They are going to be bad.

The question is are they going to be merely mediocre or are they going to be bad enough to have good lottery odds.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 09:34:24 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
let the overreaction threads begin... ??? :-\

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Because I honestly think the Celts are almost starting over from scratch with horford gone. They are going to be bad.

The question is are they going to be merely mediocre or are they going to be bad enough to have good lottery odds.

Right, we still don't know how good Brown and Tatum will be, or how completely Hayward will come back.

If those guys play well, we will be a borderline playoff team and jettisoning Smart won't make sense.

Better to wait until the trade deadline - if we're looking like a really bad team, then yes, you might want to move him.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Smart is on a favorable contract, he bleeds green.  You absolutely don't trade him unless it really really helps us.
I gotta think Smart / Brown / Tatum are the core that we build around.  add to that group of 3, don't trade any of them.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

No doubt.  This is ridiculous.  We have 2 of the better young SF’s in the game plus Hayward, plus Smart plus 3 first round picks and maybe a S&T with Horford for Capella. If not we’d have almost 25 million in cap space.  Yeah that really sounds terrible

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

No doubt.  This is ridiculous.  We have 2 of the better young SF’s in the game plus Hayward, plus Smart plus 3 first round picks and maybe a S&T with Horford for Capella. If not we’d have almost 25 million in cap space.  Yeah that really sounds terrible

we could def be in a worse situation. lol

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 09:50:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
No.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 09:51:50 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Mediocre - which is worse than bottoming out.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
That Part.

Marcus at this point is a good blend of youth and veteran presence.  I would like to hold on to him.

People are panicking like it's the end of the big three. We will still have Hayward and the Jays. The playoffs will still be in the pictures well just be taking a few steps back to move forward. We need Smarts leadership and he should be made Captain, imo.