Author Topic: Green to Phoenix  (Read 1010 times)

Green to Phoenix
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:02:31 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Boston gets: Isaiah Thomas, TJ Warren

Phoenix gets: Jeff Green, Jameer Nelson, 2015 Philly 2nd rounder, 2016 Boston 2nd rounder

Re: Green to Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 02:23:53 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd like that one a lot.

Very high on TJ Warren for his offense. Young enough to add a 3p shot.

I don't know about Thomas. There were reports Danny was the first one to call him in free agency, so the office might like him.

One thing - technically at this point of time we own a protective 2015 Philly 1st rounder that will 99% become 2nd R in 2015 and in 2016.
So the Suns could just get that one, knowing it is most likely 2 Philly 2nds.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 02:29:41 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Nelson can't be traded with other players until the day of the trade deadline.  That aside, I don't think Phoenix would bite.  The 2nd rounders don't carry much value.  Nelson has negative value.   I think it's a sweet deal for Boston.  Too good to be true.

How about a deal that's structured like this?: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k2jo7m8

where a team with cap room facilitates

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:55:44 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
Those are some great ideas. Good pick up about that Philly pick. Though I wonder if it could still be done, maybe structured to include some clause in the deal that effectively states: If Philly's 2015 1st does convey to two 2nds, then Phoenix receives the 2015 Philly 2nd rounder. That may be possible. On the other hand, it does seem likely to be more palatable to Phoenix to ostensibly receive a 1st (which becomes two 2nds). That would probably seem more appealing on its face, though the end result would be similar.

I would argue that those 2nd rounders (Philly's and Boston's) are valuable. I have seen some stats recently (on ESPN.com, I believe), that indicate picks #20-35/40 offer similar value throughout that range. Further, players drafted in the 2nd round can be offered less money for fewer years, and much of the contract can be non-guaranteed. Contracts for 1st round picks are way less flexible. An argument could be made that very early 2nd rounders are nearly as valuable as late 1st rounders, and in some cases, more preferable. I think Phoenix would need picks coming back if they were mainly receiving Green, who may walk after this year. Warren and Thomas are locked up for a few years, and Phoenix may likely require more long-term pieces in return.

I would also argue that Nelson does have value, especially if he lands on a Phoenix team with young guards he can tutor and back up as his career winds down. He can still make plays and shoot 3s, and he's the type of veteran who can either play 20-30 min a night or sit on the bench without getting cranky and unprofessional about it, whatever may be needed of him. If healthy, he's solid enough that he could play back up minutes in the playoffs, too. And if he plays poorly or gets injured, oh well; his deal is only $2.7M through next year, and that could be a decent expiring contract to trade either this summer or next season.

PS- Nelson could be traded in this deal immediately, but it would have to be structured as two separate, simultaneous trades. The trade machine approved both individual deals:

1. Green for Thomas
2. Nelson for Warren
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:07:17 AM by HeadDoctorJ »

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 03:08:17 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Boston gets: Isaiah Thomas, TJ Warren

Phoenix gets: Jeff Green, Jameer Nelson, 2015 Philly 2nd rounder, 2016 Boston 2nd rounder

I've thought about Ainge's good friend, gm Ryan McDonough since the Green/Memphis stuff. With a logjam at guard, we could use one of them.

Feb 17th:

Green + Wright for Thomas & Warren

Throw in any pick.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
Thomas is a good player to snag because he's young and on a great contract. We could keep him or trade him later on, either way.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:08:54 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Sure, the second rounders have nice value relative to the 28th or 30th pick, but not the 14th pick (TJ Warren).

If you assume that Green for IT is roughly a wash, then the remainder of the trade is a #14 pick for Nelson and a couple 2nd rounders.  Most Phoenix fans wouldn't trade either Isaiah Thomas or TJ Warren for Green.  They don't even view Green as an upgrade to Marcus Morris (the worse of the twins).

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:38 AM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett

I've thought about Ainge's good friend, gm Ryan McDonough since the Green/Memphis stuff. With a logjam at guard, we could use one of them.

Feb 17th:

Green + Wright for Thomas & Warren

Throw in any pick.

Nice