Author Topic: Why I think GS drafts Lamelo Ball  (Read 2161 times)

Why I think GS drafts Lamelo Ball
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
First off, you always draft best player available no matter what. That’s ball at #2

Second off, rookies (no matter what caliber) do not contribute greatly or immediately as a starter to a championship team. Period. Rookies tend to be 3 years away from being a contributor. Centers are very risky to draft as they take a very long time to develop in the nba just to be starting caliber, so wiseman is not who they pick. Tyson chandler took 10 years in the nba just to put up a decent average season box score.

Third, If golden state drafts ball to come off the bench, they get the kid who appears as the closest thing to the next curry (can shoot from literally anywhere in the half court to even 3/4 court range). What better than to have klay and curry to learn from as mentors ? When balls rookie contract is over, curry will be like 37 years old, and klay will be 35. You extend ball and you can now comfortably let 1 of the  splash brothers walk. Problem solved and dynasty extended

At worst, golden state gets a golden trade-able asset by drafting ball. I always thought that Wiggins would be drafted by Cleveland so he can learn from lebron but then they traded him lol. So I could see that scenario too repeat itself 

Ball is tall enough to play the 3 I think. I don’t think he starts over Wiggins so I hope that Balls father doesn’t get mad about that. Or maybe they can trade Wiggins for a 5 and use ball at the 3
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:23:20 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Why I think GS drafts Lamelo Ball
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 03:46:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Your assessment of Lamelo Ball's shooting ability is like, painfully far from the mark. He was a 24% 3 point shooter in the terrible NBL. Steph Curry, even in college, would be shooting 45+% on 10 attempts a game in the NBL.

He also isn't the best prospect available at #2
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It seems like a problem if the guy who shoots 24% is shooting them from half court.  Sounds like he's just trying to show off and isn't trying to play to win.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It seems like a problem if the guy who shoots 24% is shooting them from half court.  Sounds like he's just trying to show off and isn't trying to play to win.
He was also taking nearly 7 3s a game in 40 minute games... at 24%.

Warning bells were firing anytime I saw him play, which was quite often

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 08:41:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
First off, you always draft best player available no matter what. That’s ball at #2

Second off, rookies (no matter what caliber) do not contribute greatly or immediately as a starter to a championship team. Period. Rookies tend to be 3 years away from being a contributor. Centers are very risky to draft as they take a very long time to develop in the nba just to be starting caliber, so wiseman is not who they pick. Tyson chandler took 10 years in the nba just to put up a decent average season box score.

Third, If golden state drafts ball to come off the bench, they get the kid who appears as the closest thing to the next curry (can shoot from literally anywhere in the half court to even 3/4 court range). What better than to have klay and curry to learn from as mentors ? When balls rookie contract is over, curry will be like 37 years old, and klay will be 35. You extend ball and you can now comfortably let 1 of the  splash brothers walk. Problem solved and dynasty extended

At worst, golden state gets a golden trade-able asset by drafting ball. I always thought that Wiggins would be drafted by Cleveland so he can learn from lebron but then they traded him lol. So I could see that scenario too repeat itself 

Ball is tall enough to play the 3 I think. I don’t think he starts over Wiggins so I hope that Balls father doesn’t get mad about that. Or maybe they can trade Wiggins for a 5 and use ball at the 3

Ball the on court player is an intriguing fit for the Warriors. Since their last championship they have lost the play making of Durant, Iquadala, and to a much lesser extent Livingston. Adding Ball as a 6th man would make sense in the short term and give then a PG/Center piece of the future. His shot is a worry but it never has to be great it just needs to be good enough to make teams defend him. His confidence ad willingness to shoot leads me to belive he will at least be a a player who attempts 3-4 3s a game at 30+%. 

A couple of months ago I was 100% on board with Ball as their pick.

Ball the personality has me increasingly worried. On the Alex Kennedy podscast it was reported that he gave a very alarming and disinterested interview to the predraft media. This coupled with the Ball family circus and his father starting to chirp to anyone who will listen gives me pause to the idea of adding him to a team ready to win.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Your assessment of Lamelo Ball's shooting ability is like, painfully far from the mark. He was a 24% 3 point shooter in the terrible NBL. Steph Curry, even in college, would be shooting 45+% on 10 attempts a game in the NBL.

Yep. Watch Ball's form and it becomes painfully apparent that he is unlikely to ever break 35% at a medium attempt per game rate. His form is too erratic and inconsistent to develop the muscle memory necessary to be a good shooter.

I don't even think Ball is the best shot-creator/passer in this draft, or the second in this draft. On top of that, his defense is sketchy.

If it were me as a GM, I wouldn't draft him until Edwards, Wiseman, Haliburton, and Hayes are all off the board.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yep. Watch Ball's form and it becomes painfully apparent that he is unlikely to ever break 35% at a medium attempt per game rate. His form is too erratic and inconsistent to develop the muscle memory necessary to be a good shooter.

I don't even think Ball is the best shot-creator/passer in this draft, or the second in this draft. On top of that, his defense is sketchy.

If it were me as a GM, I wouldn't draft him until Edwards, Wiseman, Haliburton, and Hayes are all off the board.
Nailed it. He’s got really similar concerns to his brother on offence when he came in. Lonzo has become a respectable shooter from 3 but shoots free throws like Shaq and his EFG% only just scraped above 50%.

I would agree with those 4 and throw in Avdija ahead of Ball

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bad shooter, bad defender, must have the ball in his hands. Seems like a bad fit. The Knicks seem like the fit for Ball.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:47:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think LaMelo would be an absolutely miserable fit for the Warriors. He is the exact opposite of the players they have made work so well in their system.