Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203171 times)

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA(merged threads)
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 01:34:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1237783621106270214?s=20
Gotta think Boston and New York won't be far behind.

Wow. This doesn't only include professional sports. It includes concerts, school assemblies, school sports, large churches, and more.

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, I think its gotta be pretty inevitable now. 

No one wants to be the Mayor of Amity.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Wow. This doesn't only include professional sports. It includes concerts, school assemblies, school sports, large churches, and more.

Environmental protests too?

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

I don't know the mayor made it back in the sequel.

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know the mayor made it back in the sequel.

Either Amity had the single dumbest voting population in history or both events occurred within one term. 

But you do raise an excellent point.

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If fans don't attend (on average team makes 3-5 million dollars per game),  then will the players receive reduced salaries moving forward? 

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
If fans don't attend (on average team makes 3-5 million dollars per game),  then will the players receive reduced salaries moving forward?

It's a contract.  It's on the team to come up with the cashflow to pay them.

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If I'm not mistaken the player salaries are based on a share of revenues though.  So if league revenues fall short of what's expected the players could earn less.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 02:35:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

If I'm not mistaken the player salaries are based on a share of revenues though.  So if league revenues fall short of what's expected the players could earn less.

In the future though, right? BRI goes towards the salary cap calculation.   It's not like Steph Curry is going to go play in front of an empty arena for the next few weeks and get a reduced paycheck because of it.

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

exactly

I would imagine there is language in the contract that states in case of a disaster/empty stadiums, salary would be reduced.  Owners profit reduced

Insurance companies would be overwhelmed in this case and likely declare bankruptcy

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

In the future though, right? BRI goes towards the salary cap calculation.   It's not like Steph Curry is going to go play in front of an empty arena for the next few weeks and get a reduced paycheck because of it.

yes but during those two weeks (empty arena),  who is going to pay Curry and other team members salary?

From the owners pockets? NBA emergency fund?

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

exactly

Language in the contract that states in case of a disaster/empty stadiums, salary would be reduced.  Owners profit reduced

Insurance companies would be overwhelmed in this case and likely declare bankruptcy

Does that language actually exist in regards to the empty stadiums part?

That's a question because I have no idea the answer.

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 02:53:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/national-basketball-association-uniform-player-contract.html

The standard player contract has nothing in it regarding a team or the league cancelling games and being able to amend salary payment because of it.

Regarding the salary cap, if the year's BRI is lower than it was supposed to be then there will be a lowering of the salary cap the next year to make up for it.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

12. How is the salary cap set each year?
The salary cap is calculated based on projected amounts for Basketball Related Income (BRI) and benefits for the upcoming season. The projected BRI is a matter of negotiation between the league and players association. Each year the sides meet to try to agree on an amount. If they cannot agree by the end of the previous season (June 30), they instead use:

The set amount for national broadcast rights (which is determined in advance), plus
The BRI for the previous season (other than national broadcast rights), increased by 4.5%.
The salary cap calculation takes 44.74% of projected BRI, subtracts projected benefits, and divides by the number of teams in the league1. The following adjustments are then made to the result:

If the league didn't pay the players enough the previous season, i.e., if they had to cut the players a supplemental check to make their guarantee, then the shortfall, divided by the number of teams in the league1, is added to the cap. For example, in 2015-16 there was a shortfall of $130.9 million, which led to a $4.36 million increase in the 2016-17 cap.
If there is an overage -- i.e., if the players were paid more (pre-escrow) than their guaranteed share in the previous season -- and the system is getting close to exceeding what the league can get back through the escrow system, then the cap (and tax level) may be reduced in order to put on the brakes (see question number 17 for more information).

So pretty sure Dons is right and the players get paid no matter what and it's up to the team to come up with the cash flow to pay for it. Don't feel bad for the owners. They will still get their huge national television contract rights payments.

I do wonder if games are cancelled if ownership has insurance to cover such occasions.

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Also remember their is a large percentage of player's salary's held in escrow (10%?) that they don't get till BRI is figured out and its determined if they are within the acceptable range for the CBA.

(they can either lose the checks or get them and some extra depending on the year)

NCAA TOURNAMENT fans excluded COVID
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740