Author Topic: Celtics (32-17) at Hornets (27-25) 2/10  (Read 86851 times)

Re: Celtics (32-17) at Hornets (27-25) 2/10
« Reply #510 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
we all knew it was a short window...we got one and i think most of us thought we would get 2 titles out of it. this is the situation that none of us wanted to face...

i think crownsy is right. i have wanted to hide the truth....but boston is just too old.

Honestly, i'm very happy with one title, if thats all we can get.

That was a magical year, and that team played nearly flawless basketball all year. I wouldn't trade that year for anything, and that's the truth.

I'm greedy as hell, and want one every year, but if all this team brings us is rondo and perk as building blocks in 2012 and a title, im ok with that.

Not happy of course, but very ok.

Perk is okay, but that is it. If he is a key building block, the rebuilding is going to take a lot longer.

Name me 10 centers better than perk. He's a top ten center in this league. i think, for any team that hopes to seriously contend, you better have one of those ten.

I'd say a lock down defensive center is a rarity these days. people constantly underestimate his importance and value, and also forget that the kid is only 24. Given his rapid improvement from age 18-23, what makes you think he won't get even better?

as USG said, no one's saying he's superstar, but he;s clearly a great piece to build around as a third or fourth option.

Rondo and perk two years older and mature in 2012 + a max player = base of a contending team.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #511 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
That was ugly.   Kevin Garnett is rolling over in his grave.

« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
No order: just off the top.

1. d12
2. gasol
3. kaman
4. bynum
5. okafor
6. duncan
7. horford
8. bogut
9. noah
10. lopez

I do like Perk, but I think he will demand too much of the salary cap to get #2 or #3 man type of money. His offense is too poor.

« Reply #513 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
we all knew it was a short window...we got one and i think most of us thought we would get 2 titles out of it. this is the situation that none of us wanted to face...

i think crownsy is right. i have wanted to hide the truth....but boston is just too old.

Honestly, i'm very happy with one title, if thats all we can get.

That was a magical year, and that team played nearly flawless basketball all year. I wouldn't trade that year for anything, and that's the truth.

I'm greedy as hell, and want one every year, but if all this team brings us is rondo and perk as building blocks in 2012 and a title, im ok with that.

Not happy of course, but very ok.

Perk is okay, but that is it. If he is a key building block, the rebuilding is going to take a lot longer.

Name me 10 centers better than perk. He's a top ten center in this league. i think, for any team that hopes to seriously contend, you better have one of those ten.

I'd say a lock down defensive center is a rarity these days. people constantly underestimate his importance and value, and also forget that the kid is only 24. Given his rapid improvement from age 18-23, what makes you think he won't get even better?

as USG said, no one's saying he's superstar, but he;s clearly a great piece to build around as a third or fourth option.

Rondo and perk two years older and mature in 2012 + a max player = base of a contending team.

One of the things that has made Perk so successful is that he always knew his role as defense 1st.  If he's the 3rd option, offensively...oh boy.  I just don't see him becoming an offensive force.  I like what he does, but it's not like he's on a rookie contract any more.  I doubt there will be any incredible change in his game at this point, though he may well get better.

The "name me 10 players" thing...reads a lot like looking for an argument rather than a discussion.  A naming of the 10 would only lead to argument that is not relevant.  There are 30 starting centers, and several off the bench that have some solid strenghts (i.e. Birdman), and a bunch of PF's that could be/are Centers (Camby).  They all offer a different variety of skills and weaknesses, making the "name 10" thing non-productive.  

Could we find another player to play the center position and be effective?  Absolutely.  Perk isn't a centerpiece, even if he is young.