Author Topic: Bulpett -- Celts and Horford Have Discussed Contract Extension  (Read 5549 times)

Re: Bulpett -- Celts and Horford Have Discussed Contract Extension
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:43:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sign and trade with Houston for Capela..then sign Julius Randle...sign Rozier or Rubio...keep 3 picks..lets start young again

Capela
Randle
Tatum
Brown
Rozier or Rubio

Baynes
Williams
Semi
Hayward
Smart
3 picks

Despite some rumours I really don't think Houston is willing to trade Capela straight up for Horford.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Good to hear, hopefully the C's can retain him.

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Would love to get randle

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Would love to get randle
Over Horford?  :(

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 09:51:28 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Man, I really hope he sticks around. We're likely in quite a bad way if he leaves. Plus, I'd miss his level-headedness
If Kyrie leaves, I'm kind of on board with Horford leaving.  Let him join a contender.  We could use the cap space to sign someone who more aligns with the ages of Tatum and Brown.
We could, I'm just not sure who that free agent is

Malcolm Brogden

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
I really don't see the point in Horford sticking around now, or in Boston wanting him back. Sure, he's a very good player, and a great leader and a stabilizing presence, but this team isn't coming close to competing for a title, and Danny has made it clear he's chosen to go with the youth movement, so why pay so much money to one guy who's not part of that youth movement? And I'm sure Horford wants a title, and he's no longer got a legit chance to do that in Boston. Might as well throw Robert Williams into the fray and really see what he can do.

You pay a guy like Al so his leadership trickles into the the habits of the young guys.  You can't expect Brad alone to teach them leadership.  You need a guy like Al to show that by example to a young squad.  It's kind of like compound interest, the sooner the younger guys learn leadership qualities, the sooner it starts to resonate and the better off they are in the end.  I get the whole "line up the timeline" of players but you can't go all young and expect a max efficiency team.  Any team in life needs an experienced, level headed mentor on the roster.

You resign Horford because you have Hayward, Tatum, Brown still.  If Tatum and Brown can make some sort of leap without Kyrie they will definitely make noise in the East.  If Leonard leaves it just leaves Giannis.  Philly does not scare me.  I think that team is overrated.  If one of Tatum or Brown take the next step to All-Star status you still have 3 potential All-Stars with Horford, Hayward (with him being fully recovered) and Tatum.  Injuries happen.  Look at GSW.  I do not believe Toronto wins if that team is healthy but injuries happen.  If KD signs elsewhere the West is wide open.  The NBA will be more wide open next year then any year and I don't think you will need 3 superstars to win.  If Boston can build a great bench they will be closer to competing then being a lottery team.  I just don't get why a lot of people are so down on what we have left.  Now the C's need help.   Don't get me wrong but if they can add some shooters they will be fine.

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have zero qualms bringing Horford back.    He's been a great glue guy, team leader, & consummate professional since he's been here.  With all the kids, it doesn't hurt having a veteran presence in that locker room.   When he's healthy, he's still vital to the offense.  Have always thought the team offense works a lot better when it flows through Horford.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
There are no big free agents that are worth chasing at the expense of Horford/Hayward during the rookie contract windows remaining for Brown/Tatum.

Keep Horford if he is willing to stay on the 1 year or a reasonable 3 year extension. If he wants out? Well you can explore if he has a destination he can opt in and want to go to I guess, otherwise wish him well and prepare to be the 8th seed or worse.

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
There are no big free agents that are worth chasing at the expense of Horford/Hayward during the rookie contract windows remaining for Brown/Tatum.

Keep Horford if he is willing to stay on the 1 year or a reasonable 3 year extension. If he wants out? Well you can explore if he has a destination he can opt in and want to go to I guess, otherwise wish him well and prepare to be the 8th seed or worse.

How do you know?

My instinct is that we need to take a step back now to be able to take two steps forward in the future.

The question is: do you want to be a B for the next 5 years or do you settle for being a C the coming two years with the possibility of becoming an A afterwards?

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Would love to get randle

Um yes.  We need to build for the future.

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If it's a 3-year deal, what's a fair price to get him to give up the $30 million for next year?  $70 million? Less?

Given that the Celts aren't a contender and in some ways they need him more than he needs them, I would say at least $20 million annually.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

How do you know?

Look at the upcoming FA classes, who are the targets?

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Would love to get randle

Um yes.  We need to build for the future.
I am just imagining how people who freaked out about Kyrie's defense would feel watching Randle.

I'm of the opinion he's largely an empty calorie guy when it comes to his counting stats when he's given a starting role. His offensive numbers and energy are offset by his defensive woes.

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney

How do you know?

Look at the upcoming FA classes, who are the targets?

If it meant letting Al go I'd want Malcolm Brogden but I think it may be possible to get both if Al signs for 20m or less.  Renounce Rozier, Theis and Morris and the may be able to get him.  May need to trade Yabu and a 1st to clear salary cap space.  I believe Brodgen fits perfectly for this team, Brads system and plays like a Celtic.  He can guard multiple positions and can play with Smart.  He's a lights out shooter as well and can make a big time shot under pressure.

PG - Brogden
SG - Brown
SF - Hayward
PF - Tatum
C - Al Horford

I love this team if this happens.  The worst defender is Tatum in this group and he's proven he can play D at times.  Brogden, Brown is a great defensive back court and Al is a very good defender as well.  Hayward if fully recovered is a good defender.  Good shooting balance in this lineup as well.  The Bench is worrisome with Smart, Baynes, Semi, Williams.  Need scorers to fill out the Bench.  They have to draft shooters and use the exceptions to find some decent players. 

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Me and my friends were just talking about this over drinks.

We thought it would be funny if Al wants out, we can convince him to opt out, sign for the full MLE, and trade him to the Golden State Warriors to get back at the Lakers and AD and his camp. He would be perfect for that team, especially if Klay comes back.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace