Poll

If we are lucky enough, Who do we take with the #1 pick ?

Lonzo Ball
2 (4.5%)
Markelle Fultz?
41 (93.2%)
other (please name)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: And with the number one pick, the Boston Celtics select....? Fultz or Ball?  (Read 5897 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Fultz and Ball both do a tremendous job of making plays for others, but the numbers may surprise you in terms of sheer usage and turnover percentage by the two point guards. Despite Fultz having a usage percentage of 30.0, he turns it over just 13.5 percent of the time (both per Sports-Reference.com). However, he’s averaging 6.3 assists per game and 3.0 turnovers, sporting a 2.08 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Ball’s usage percentage is just 17.7, but he turns it over 17.6 percent of the time, even more than Fultz who has the ball in his hands nearly twice as much. By sheer totals, Ball averages 8.0 assists per game and 2.3 turnovers, good for a 3.43 assist-to-turnover ratio. Ball has the edge in height, allowing him to see over the defense, and overall talent, which makes this really close.

While both have been unbelievably efficient throughout their inaugural seasons, they’ve been doing it in different ways. Fultz is a master of using his size and length to finish in traffic and over smaller defenders while being lethal in the pick-and-roll game. He’s got a good three-point stroke, making 41.5 percent of his three-point jump shots on 4.1 attempts per game. Fultz also has a lethal pull-up jumper and shoots a solid 42.3 on two-point jump shots (per hoop-math.com), including 62.3 percent at the rim with an efficiency field goal percentage of 53.3 percent.

Ball has been better than advertised as a shooter this year, even given his unorthodox mechanics. Ball basically slings the ball across his body and maintains efficiency from even NBA range. Ball will be an interesting case-study for the league: he’s knocked down 43.0 percent from deep, and 75.0 percent at the rim  overall so far this season. He struggles with any resemblance of an in-between game, however, hitting just one of nine(!!!) two-point jump shot attempts all season. His efficiency field goal percent is 65.4 percent.

This is basically a coin flip. I do have major questions about how Ball’s unorthodox stroke and lack of offensive diversity will translate. Fultz is a smooth operator and has a versatile offensive attack.

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Instead of ball or fultz what about

Jackson and monk.  Or Smith and Isaac (trade with 76ers)

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I've heard this draft called exceptional and potentially historically good, but this is the first guy I've seen who has suggested the top two (Ball and Fultz) are a step above everyone else and might be transcendent talents:  https://deanondraft.com/2017/01/23/how-good-is-this-years-draft/

Also, I've now read multiple draft experts who have said Jaylen Brown would go outside the top 10 if he were in this draft.  Kevin O'Conner thinks he'd go 7-10.  So safe to say even if we miss out on fultz and Ball we will be adding this franchise's best hope of a future Allstar.  Unless Brooklyn digs themselves out of the bottom 10 somehow, I guess.

For all of you convinced that Fultz is the clear #1, note that the writer in LB's link has Ball as #1.  I'm still sticking with Ball.  Fultz is the most complete player at this point, and the safer pick, but I don't think he has the same upside as Ball or even Smith.

Also, that author has Okafor, Gordon, Deangello Russell, and Exum as better pros/prospects than Andrew Wiggins. So I would take his rankings with a grain of salt.
#JKJB

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Yeah I wonder how much higher Danny has Fultz than those guys- does he have Fultz in an entirely other category 1 on his own? I think this is probably the case at the moment, but there is a lot of time left. At this point though, I only think Fultz is going to separate himself even more as we get closer to the draft. The value of his pick is going to be enormous.
It might just be big enough to get Cousins from Sacto.
And to be honest, Cousins is probably the only player I'd give up that pick for. Earlier on I would have traded it for Butler but Fultz is special gifted player and I'd prefer to gamble on developing him with Jaylen as the future of our team vs IT/Horford/Butler especially when GSW and Cavs have 4 or 5 more years at the top.

But to answer your pick for picks question, I'd say no for all the same reasons above....because Fultz looks like true franchise potential scorer.
We could get two All Stars with the 76ers picks, but we could get a franchise/top 5 NBA ala Harden if we gamble and keep the pick. If Fultz wasn't there I'd say yes all day long to a 76ers trade for our #1 pick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48

If Fultz wasn't there I'd say yes all day long to a 76ers trade for our #1 pick.

If you want to win titles, I think at some point it will be time to stop giving the Sixers #1 picks in the draft. Look what Embiid is already doing on his own.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

If Fultz wasn't there I'd say yes all day long to a 76ers trade for our #1 pick.

If you want to win titles, I think at some point it will be time to stop giving the Sixers #1 picks in the draft. Look what Embiid is already doing on his own.

and if Embid or Wiggins or Simmons or Towns or Fultz was there, I wouldn't give them the #1 pick, hence my comment.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
WGAF

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Jonathan Issac...from Florida State University

(Celtics fans boo and complain we drafted the wrong guy, when the pick actually makes sense)

No, it doesn't.

Issac is currently the #8 player on Draft Express. I haven't seen him higher than 4th and most have him somewhere between 7 and 8. So even if the pick "makes sense" from a fit standpoint, it doesn't make sense from a drafting standpoint because you're leaving significant value on the table.

Let's say that you want to get Issac and you want to be conservative so you move to #4 to get him. That means the team moving up needs to offer much more in order to get to #1 to grab Fultz. I'm not sold on Issac (he had a good week but I'm not a bandwagoner) and even if he's the right guy for this team he's not #1 material. The best teams fit the best talent into their schemes but you first need talent and Issac isn't the most talented guy in the draft at this junction.

I will GUARANTEE you that Isaac WILL go in the top 5 of this draft and likely in the top 4!!!!  We also ONLY have a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick IF the Nets have the worst record!!!  Therefore, we are likely picking 2, 3, or 4.  It will not be a REACH by June and I worry that someone us takes him before us!!!

Have you watched this young man??

Smitty77

We are not LIKELY picking 2,3. We have a higher chance of getting the first and 4th than either 2 or 3.