Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 119383 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2018, 04:24:26 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Pau Gasol on Kawhi Leonard’s Spurs relationship; “I do not know if a multimillion-dollar offer would fix it”.

« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2018, 04:53:05 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not a lot of options for the Spurs

Going to be hard to move him anywhere but the Lakers because he won’t commit to that team.

« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Going to be hard to move him anywhere but the Lakers because he won’t commit to that team.
If the Spurs play hard-ball, it doesn't matter, right?  They could trade him to the Eastern Conference without getting his buy-in.  You only need one dancing partner.

« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC

If the Spurs play hard-ball, it doesn't matter, right?  They could trade him to the Eastern Conference without getting his buy-in.  You only need one dancing partner.

They could try but I don’t see Boston or Philly making a deal without a commitment from Leonard. Boston is not moving brown on speculation.

« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

They could try but I don’t see Boston or Philly making a deal without a commitment from Leonard. Boston is not moving brown on speculation.

I could see Philly making a deal.  Someone more plugged in might see it differently, but the way I see it they have 4 targets spread over the next 2 years (after that they won't have cap room):

sign LeBron
sign Paul George
trade for Kawhi

sign LeBron (if he opts in in '18)
sign Kawhi
sign Klay Thompson

So if LeBron and George are off the table having signed deals, suddenly the only options are Kawhi and Klay, and personally I wouldn't bet against Klay leaving GS (legal weed too).

So now you're down to Kawhi.  Do the Lakers still have cap room or did they spend it all?  Kawhi will turn down a supermax for LA, but will he turn down a supermax for Philly?

I could see Philly making a move to trade for Kawhi if/when other options dry up.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
If Ainge passes on Kawhi (which I think he will) Philly will trade for him. SA not wanting to trade him in conference has narrowed it down.

« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Ainge passes on Kawhi (which I think he will) Philly will trade for him. SA not wanting to trade him in conference has narrowed it down.

Ultimately I think that’s just a negotiating ploy, not wanting to trade within the conference.  If a Western team offers the most, the Spurs will accept it.

But the Kawhi saga won’t end until after LeBron and PG13 make their decisions.  Before then, potential trade partners will want to see if they can sign one of those two in free agency.  Also, if the Lakers wind up with both, it almost certainly means they won’t be able to sign Kawhi next summer.  This means he’s less likely to leave whatever team does trade for him, increasing his trade value.

I think the Wizards should put their best foot forward and offer Porter and multiple unprotected 1st rounders — 3 to be precise.

« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Ultimately I think that’s just a negotiating ploy, not wanting to trade within the conference.  If a Western team offers the most, the Spurs will accept it.

But the Kawhi saga won’t end until after LeBron and PG13 make their decisions.  Before then, potential trade partners will want to see if they can sign one of those two in free agency.  Also, if the Lakers wind up with both, it almost certainly means they won’t be able to sign Kawhi next summer.  This means he’s less likely to leave whatever team does trade for him, increasing his trade value.

I think the Wizards should put their best foot forward and offer Porter and multiple unprotected 1st rounders — 3 to be precise.
This is not a normal situation. Its interesting to think about various places around the league that Kawhi might go, but he's already signaled what he wants, and he's already left the bridge back to San Antonio torched to a crisp.

There was zero disagreement about anything there other than wanting him to assume the mantle of team superstar. The fact that such a role came with some actual responsibilities apparently was too much for him to bear. Boston fans would not be amused.

I would be very surprised if he just stayed quiet and let San Antonio get whatever deal they could for him. He very clearly wants to be on the Lakers. He can make it known he won't stay, and he can do worse: claim he's still injured. After what he's done already, I'd be shocked if he didn't follow through and apply negative pressure to any non-LA deal.

« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I could see Philly making a deal.  Someone more plugged in might see it differently, but the way I see it they have 4 targets spread over the next 2 years (after that they won't have cap room):

sign LeBron
sign Paul George
trade for Kawhi

sign LeBron (if he opts in in '18)
sign Kawhi
sign Klay Thompson

So if LeBron and George are off the table having signed deals, suddenly the only options are Kawhi and Klay, and personally I wouldn't bet against Klay leaving GS (legal weed too).

So now you're down to Kawhi.  Do the Lakers still have cap room or did they spend it all?  Kawhi will turn down a supermax for LA, but will he turn down a supermax for Philly?

I could see Philly making a move to trade for Kawhi if/when other options dry up.
George and Lebron are likely to sign 1+1 deals.  I'd put Jimmy Butler on the Sixers 2019 list too. 

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23924558/pressure-mounting-los-angeles-lakers-acquire-kawhi-leonard

Sorry guys, I'm at a hospital right now in the break room with my phone, so it's difficult for me to just copy and paste the entire article content on here. Link is above!

Basically, there's pressure on the Lakers to make a Kawhi trade, since it's likely Lebron makes a decision early next week (around July 3-4). Lebron likely isn't going to LAL IF they don't have an established star. That makes some sense.

According to Woj though, the Lakers are hoping to make a separate trade to acquire an additional 1st round pick to use in a package for a Kawhi trade (also taking back a bad contract if needed), which would then leave 1 max slot open for a FA signing.

That part is interesting. So do the Lakers not think they can acquire all of Kawhi, Lebron and George? Just Kawhi + ONE of Lebron/George?  ???

Also, apparently the Sixers, Clippers, Cavaliers.... and Celtics have made offers and put them out there for the Spurs.

I'm surprised. I understand the process of due diligence and showing interest, but putting a legit offer out there?? The guy is a rental who will likely just bolt to LAL next year. We'd be the laughingstock of the league if we traded Brown and/or Rozier in a deal for Kawhi and then a year later he just signs with the Lakers for "free" (just $$$). We aren't on Kawhi's "list" either (while NYK, LAC and LAL are). Walk away Danny!!

Anyways, I hope the Spurs keep Kawhi past July 4th at least and in the process, screw the Lakers LOL. I mean, Clippers/Sixers/Knicks will still show great interest later on in the month and probably could offer good packages too. That said, I think even if George goes LAL, Lebron may not follow still. He might just stay put another year or go elsewhere.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ainge is just driving up the price for the Lakers or Sixers. Since the Lakers are scrambling to get another first to include for Kawhi, it sounds like it’s working

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ainge is just driving up the price for the Lakers or Sixers. Since the Lakers are scrambling to get another first to include for Kawhi, it sounds like it’s working
I don't think that is the case at all.  I firmly believe, Ainge wants Leonard and believes he can convince him to stay. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

A formal offer has been made for Kawhi
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

Offline wedman8

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
No terms have been leaked, so, what do you think has Danny offered to bring Leonard to Beantown?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/report-celtics-made-formal-offer-kawhi-leonard

Re: A formal offer has been made for Kawhi
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
My guess is Jaylen, Rozier, Sixers pick and Memphis pick plus salary filler. If you’re the Spurs, you gotta consider that.

Re: A formal offer has been made for Kawhi
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
My guess is Jaylen, Rozier, Sixers pick and Memphis pick plus salary filler. If you’re the Spurs, you gotta consider that.

I really hope we aren’t offering that unless he is having a change of heart playing in LA