Author Topic: USA vrs Turkey  (Read 6989 times)

USA vrs Turkey
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
In ESPN Latin America
is USA vrs Turkey now
Is this really live?
47-37 usa winning right now

UPDATE: I just check direct tv and is on espn2 too.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: USA vrs Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:24:36 AM »

Offline OtherRedHead

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
Just finished watching the US beat on Turkey by 32.  Its obvious that the US Basketball team does not care too much about being gracious winners, but would rather humiliate teams by turning the game into an And1 mix tape. 

There was not much team play it was more of "you just dunked the ball, now watch me top it with my flashy dunk"  It was embarrassing.  I do not see much of a changed team or a new philosophy in coaching.  Team USA, I dont believe is focused enough on winning the Gold.  These exhibition games should be used to fine tune their offense, not use it as a AND1 mix tape.

Watched Erden, blah, nothing special, looked lost out there.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Just finished watching the US beat on Turkey by 32.  Its obvious that the US Basketball team does not care too much about being gracious winners, but would rather humiliate teams by turning the game into an And1 mix tape. 

There was not much team play it was more of "you just dunked the ball, now watch me top it with my flashy dunk"  It was embarrassing.  I do not see much of a changed team or a new philosophy in coaching.  Team USA, I dont believe is focused enough on winning the Gold.  These exhibition games should be used to fine tune their offense, not use it as a AND1 mix tape.

I ageeon the new lack of new philosophy
Now seems more importan to sell the team to big asian market
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:49:52 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I didn't think that they're style of play was "embarrassing" by any means, if anything, I thought Turkey's effort in the second half was.

My concerns would be with the team's half court defense, which is pretty poor. They are very aggressive on the defensive end, which leads to a lot of transition buckets, by no means are they a good defensive team. Their defensive rotations are downright terrible.

Ball movement still isn't great, and Kobe has NO place on the team. I'd like to see a down the stretch lineup of

CP3
Wade
Melo
Lebron
Howard

As or right now, I'd be surprised to see them win the gold.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

That's a ridiculous statement.

What do you want to see? LeBron James on a break away, but stop mid-stride and re-set the offense? No, absolutely not. Just because they throw down a couple loud jams in the open floor doesn't mean that they are too flashy or don't care enough about winning.

You guys can check my full game recap at this link.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Good example CelticBalla32. Team USA is just showing how dominate they can really be. I read somewhere this morning that DWade made the comment that he's coming into the Olympics "angry". With that in mind, they want to embarrass the other teams to show our dominance. In previous blogs people have talked about how we should let the college kids represent us...but that never made sense b/c all the other countries have their best players playing, why wouldn't we do the same? So it all goes back to dominance. Plus these are just exhibition games, and Team USA will turn into serious mode when they need to, and That is when Kobe will find his place. He'll become our defensive stopper on their best offensive player, and he'll make some ridiculous shots when he gets the ball. Team USA is going for gold this year. No doubt about it.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
DEE-WAYNE Wade is 100% back. He looked like Team USA's best player out there and there was def. some Finals MVP moves. Watch out for the Heat this up and coming year.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Watching glorified streetball really makes my patriotic blood flow.   ;D  Watching Mr. Snitch holding up the bronze will make it flow even more>   ;D

Most laughable statement I've heard in a long time came in the short time I subjected myself to this nonsense.  The announcer saying that Wade shaved his head because he was so serious about this and didn't want to look pretty.  He's playing "angry".  ;D :D ;D :D  If he was only so "serious" about his NBA career....You know Dwyane, the one you get paid millions to play....Is this Wade being Manny?

On the less laughable side, (in the 5 minutes I subjected myself to this silliness) Erden has length, a pretty good handle, athletism and a little bit of a nose for the ball.  A little more bulk and Danny may have something of a steal in 2-3 years.

DEE-WAYNE Wade is 100% back. He looked like Team USA's best player out there and there was def. some Finals MVP moves. Watch out for the Heat this up and coming year.

.....In all 47 games the NBA's drama queen graces us with his presence.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

What do you want to see? LeBron James on a break away, but stop mid-stride and re-set the offense? No, absolutely not. Just because they throw down a couple loud jams in the open floor doesn't mean that they are too flashy or don't care enough about winning.

Exactly.

This team is at their best when they are pushing the ball and running with every opportunity.  I did not see the game, but from the posts that have been made it seems like they were doing just that.  Coach K no doubt wants them to play hard for every minute so that they can fine-tune their style, so to hear that USA was getting up and down the court and dunking late in the game is EXACTLY what i want to hear.

The only chance they have to win gold is if they turn up the tempo on EVERY possession.  No other team in the world can match the pure speed and athletic ability of this squad....sorry, no mercy in these warm-up games.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
They win by 32, and they were 'embarrassing', if they keep it close, they're 'not good enough for gold'. I'll take the 32 point win. USA is taking the gold.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Watching glorified streetball really makes my patriotic blood flow.   ;D  Watching Mr. Snitch holding up the bronze will make it flow even more>   ;D

Most laughable statement I've heard in a long time came in the short time I subjected myself to this nonsense.  The announcer saying that Wade shaved his head because he was so serious about this and didn't want to look pretty.  He's playing "angry".  ;D :D ;D :D  If he was only so "serious" about his NBA career....You know Dwyane, the one you get paid millions to play....Is this Wade being Manny?

On the less laughable side, (in the 5 minutes I subjected myself to this silliness) Erden has length, a pretty good handle, athletism and a little bit of a nose for the ball.  A little more bulk and Danny may have something of a steal in 2-3 years.

.....In all 47 games the NBA's drama queen graces us with his presence.

i'm not a dwade fan, but rather a basketball fan. (i wanted the mavs to win over heat). dwade put on some moves.

however,

what the hell is up with the term "euro step," apparently invented by manu? its a freaggin side step that every good slashing player does, well except for tony parker that knows only 2 directions.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:11 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
what the hell is up with the term "euro step,"

If I'm not mistaken, the "euro step" is actually code word for the dribbless half-court "step" from halfcourt to the basket that the messiah and Wade get to take in regular NBA games.

The reality is Wade has no business playing in this to begin with.  It is beyond stupid for Heat management to allow a player who can't stay healthy enough to stay on the court during their 82 game season to wear himself out in this foolish streetball tournament.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:43:18 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:14 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Exactly.

This team is at their best when they are pushing the ball and running with every opportunity.  I did not see the game, but from the posts that have been made it seems like they were doing just that.  Coach K no doubt wants them to play hard for every minute so that they can fine-tune their style, so to hear that USA was getting up and down the court and dunking late in the game is EXACTLY what i want to hear.

The only chance they have to win gold is if they turn up the tempo on EVERY possession.  No other team in the world can match the pure speed and athletic ability of this squad....sorry, no mercy in these warm-up games.

I respectfully disagree with jgod and CBalla.

The US team should be using this warm-up games to practice the kind of challenges they will be facing in the Olympics. So, yeah, LeBron James should stop the break away mid-stride and re-set the offense, in order to practice againt a zone defense. Lack of knowledge on how to fight zone defenses and motion offenses is one of the main reasons why USA have been struggling in recent international tournaments. So, I think that's what they should be practicing, not fast-breaks and happy-go-lucky defense.

If they're using these warm-up games to build confidence, well, it's just a waste of time. Everybody knows that Lebron can dunk on fastbreaks. These games shall be used to work on your weaknesses, not to win big. That's what the other teams are doing. Lithuania will have no problems in losing tomorrow's game for 100 points if that helps them to have a slightly better chance when it counts. Heck, even a still Kaman-less Germany can beat Turkey by 30 points - and they did it in a competitive game, facing Turkey's best team, with Okur and the likes, not in a friendly.

jgod, turning up the tempo using the pure speed and athletic ability of their players is precisely what the US team has done in the last tournaments that they lost. I'm sure they can still win playing like that - and even keep their clear favoritism - as long as they give a consistent effort on the court, but I'm certain that their chances become smaller. Top international teams only have a chance of beating the US team precisely because they like to play that way. Slow tempo, solid defense without much agressiveness, no reliance on individual matchups, ball movement, established offensive sets - with this kind of approach, no team would get close.