Author Topic: Idea: If Minny wants to clear cash  (Read 1775 times)

Idea: If Minny wants to clear cash
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I know that Minn. has said that they won't give Al Jefferson away, but if they ended up looking at the books and didn't like what they see, we could offer them some major cap savings for years

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yk7fekc

Big Al, Ryan Gomes, and R. Sessions for Ray Allen, S. Williams, and Bill Walker (and a couple draft picks?)

really, any way to work Big Al for Ray Allen is fine with me - it would unbalance the roster a bit, but I'm ok with that
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Idea: If Minny wants to clear cash
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:16:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If Al Jefferson is formally on the block, the C's have no where near the pieces to get it done because there are plenty of teams that would get in on that that have young talent and expiring contracts to offer.

Now it might be possible to get in on a multi-player type deal where we send Ray to a third team who sends something to Minny.

Being totally unrealistic here, since I don't think Jefferson is going anywhwere, but this works

Boston trades R. Allen, T. Allen, House, Sheldon, 2010 1st, 2012 1st (lotto protected), rights to Erden (or two seconds)
Boston receives A. Jefferson, Hinrich, Salmons

Minny trades A. Jefferson
Minny receives T. Thomas, T. Allen, Boston 1st's

Chicago trades Hinrich, Salmons, Thomas
Chicageo receives R. Allen, House, Sheldon, rights to Erden (or two seconds)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:18:07 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I know that Minn. has said that they won't give Al Jefferson away, but if they ended up looking at the books and didn't like what they see, we could offer them some major cap savings for years

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yk7fekc

Big Al, Ryan Gomes, and R. Sessions for Ray Allen, S. Williams, and Bill Walker (and a couple draft picks?)

really, any way to work Big Al for Ray Allen is fine with me - it would unbalance the roster a bit, but I'm ok with that

In this scenario, does Minny buy Ray out and he returns to the Celtics?  Whether he does or not, I like this trade.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Just from a PR standpoint, I don't think the Wolves would ever deal Big Al back to Boston.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Minnesota will be looking to acquire talent in a Big Al trade. Not cap flexibility.

You don't give up young talent players on solid contracts for cap flexibility.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I did Ray/Perk for Big Al and crap. This is the only way i give up Perkules though.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Yeah, as nice as Big Al is, I don't like unbalancing the roster like that if we still think we're contenders. 

Plus, as much as I loved Big Al when he was here, if he really is the bonafide dominant low post scorer we all wanted him to be when he was here, why is Minny so bad?  I mean I don't expect him to make them contenders by himself, but I'd think if he was closer to Tim Duncan than Rony Seikaly, Minny would be hovering a bit closer to .500. 

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would give up Perkins to get Jefferson back.  But MN doesn't need expiring contracts; they need players.  If they do nothing at all at the deadline, the Wolves' payroll goes to 35 million next year.

I'm not a great fan of Sessions, becuase he does not shoot particularly well.  But I'd trade scalabrine for him if MN wants to get out from under the contract, which they may want to do because they've got a ton of pgs with Rubio waiting in the wings.