Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 62685 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Who knows, but, ultimately, let's talk about Yabusele last year.

He was the "15th player" on the team right?

Thus, he never played and didn't "hurt" the team.

If Tacko is the 15th player someday, perhaps he'd be G league anyway this year.

What other "15th" player is going to "lose" something by Tacko "beating him out" for the opportunity to play for a few minutes in blowouts?

Let's say Tacko is on the team. Put him in for the tip off. His win percentage on tips would be better than Kanter's...right? At UCF last year Tacko won 20 straight tips (or whatever) for some record. That's more than a lot of 15th guys and? He's Tacko.

Where the he*& else are you gonna get that?
Or you can sign a vet min player that is still productive, use them as your 7th or 8th player in the rotation, making Robert Williams the 15th player(which he was last year, Yabu was 14th), and just have Portland sign Tacko to play in the G League.

Seriously, we aren't looking to just replace Yabu, we're looking to upgrade from him. We'll have plenty of rookies/young guys to take the bench warmer roles, we need actual (vet) players
I'm bitter.

« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:42 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Am I the only one who's at the point where I'm screaming in my mind at Danny, shouting, "Just sign him to a roster spot, NOW!!!!!!!!"

Yes, he did get pushed around a bit in the first half, but he more than made up for it in the second. Come on Danny, sign him!

Danny's made his living as a gambler. This is one bet, that even if it doesn't pan out, the team and himself will still be considered a winner. Just do it!

« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Am I the only one who's at the point where I'm screaming in my mind at Danny, shouting, "Just sign him to a roster spot, NOW!!!!!!!!"
Uh there are a ton of people on twitter and in this very thread saying the C's would be crazy not to sign him. You are not alone in your summer league hype lol.

« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2019, 08:37:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Let's say Tacko is on the team. Put him in for the tip off. His win percentage on tips would be better than Kanter's...right? At UCF last year Tacko won 20 straight tips (or whatever) for some record. That's more than a lot of 15th guys and? He's Tacko.

Where the he*& else are you gonna get that?
You do know that winning the tip at the start of the game is irrelevant right? You get the ball at the start of two quarters no matter the result of the initial tip.

Putting in a weaker player to win the tip and then having to play him 4 minutes or so before a stoppage potentially would hurt you team for no benefit. Not to mention the ego issues with starting from Kanter.

« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I hope so! 

His overall improvement, including lateral movement, since college has been pretty staggering.  If there's a chance that he continues on this improvement then he's a must-sign.  Just look at the DeAndre Jordan types in years past.. it's still valuable to have a rim protector and a guy who can stress a defense on a pick & roll / ally-oop. 

« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes, he did get pushed around a bit in the first half, but he more than made up for it in the second. Come on Danny, sign him!

Danny's made his living as a gambler. This is one bet, that even if it doesn't pan out, the team and himself will still be considered a winner. Just do it!

This needs to be explained every couple of pages apparently: He is already signed. If the Celtics want to keep Tacko, all they have to choose to do is not cut him.  That’s it, and he’ll be on the team all year.  He was signed before summer league.

If Tacko wins a job in training camp, and there are currently only 14 guaranteed contracts on the roster, then he’s a Celtic.  If he can’t win the job at training camp, then that’s a bummer, but he’s going to get his shot.

But there’s no need to exhort Danny to sign Tacko.  That literally already happened weeks ago, before this thread was even created.

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Tacko is dominating on both ends. This is going to prove to be an incredible signing. Wow!!!

« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:01 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I hope so! 

His overall improvement, including lateral movement, since college has been pretty staggering.  If there's a chance that he continues on this improvement then he's a must-sign.  Just look at the DeAndre Jordan types in years past.. it's still valuable to have a rim protector and a guy who can stress a defense on a pick & roll / ally-oop.

I agree.  I believe he went 12/8/4 blocks in limited minutes in his last summer game vs Memphis. He can run the floor a little bit too.  I am glad he is signed and will get a shot to stick with the team in the fall. 

« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Aside from his defensive intimidation in the paint, Tacko is the easiest 2 points on the floor.

« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really hope they find a way to keep this kid around.  I like him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I really hope they find a way to keep this kid around.  I like him.

get rid of wannamaker and semi

Fall and Waters are more valuable, my mind its not even close

« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

This needs to be explained every couple of pages apparently: He is already signed. If the Celtics want to keep Tacko, all they have to choose to do is not cut him.  That’s it, and he’ll be on the team all year.  He was signed before summer league.

If Tacko wins a job in training camp, and there are currently only 14 guaranteed contracts on the roster, then he’s a Celtic.  If he can’t win the job at training camp, then that’s a bummer, but he’s going to get his shot.

But there’s no need to exhort Danny to sign Tacko.  That literally already happened weeks ago, before this thread was even created.
Is the longest possible deal for him by converting the exhibit 10 contract a two year deal?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Is the longest possible deal for him by converting the exhibit 10 contract a two year deal?

As far as I know, he’s on a one-year minimum deal with an Exhibit 10.  Exhibit 10 would allow him to be converted to a two-way contract, it would not change the length of his deal.  If he’s converted to a 2-way contract, he can then be converted back to an NBA contract, but it again wouldn’t add any time to his deal.

Here’s the relevant text from the CBA on converting two-ways:

Team exercises the Standard NBA Contract Conversion Option, the Base Compensation amount set forth above in this Exhibit 1B will immediately become null and void and of no further force or effect, Player’s Compensation shall be equal to the Player’s applicable Minimum Player Salary for a term equal to the remainder of the original term of this Contract beginning on the date such option is exercised, and all other terms and conditions of this Contract, including the Base Compensation protection set forth in Exhibit 2 (if any), shall remain applicable.”

« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I love Taco and hope he makes the team but his limited skill level other than shot blocking and dunking will keep him in Maine or Europe.

« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2019, 10:59:41 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Yes.   We are over the cap and don't have any available exception to use to sign him other than the Minimum Salary exception.  This has a maximum of 2 years.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.