Author Topic: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today  (Read 18440 times)

Re: Doc mentioned how C's need a backup pg on WEEI today
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Yes, Terry has been a flop. Boston would be better off with a more traditional backup PG.

Do you think age has robbed him of the quickness that made him a dangerous shot creator off the dribble, or do you think the problem is more with the fit/utilization of him on this squad?

I can't figure it out.  His usage% is extremely low relative to his career at this point, which is pretty baffling considering how much of a negative he is defensively and on the boards. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Trade Lee for a big and bring in Delonte.
I miss Delonte. I wonder what he did for Danny to discard him away so readily.

It's a shame because he is a really good player who could help this team (and many others).

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yes, Terry has been a flop. Boston would be better off with a more traditional backup PG.

Do you think age has robbed him of the quickness that made him a dangerous shot creator off the dribble, or do you think the problem is more with the fit/utilization of him on this squad?

I can't figure it out.  His usage% is extremely low relative to his career at this point, which is pretty baffling considering how much of a negative he is defensively and on the boards.

How Doc has been using him (as a spot up and catch and shoot scorer) + how PG-centric the offense has become under Doc. He needs to open up the offense more to allow guys like Terry and Green more freedom.

Those are the main issues for me.

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Trade Lee for a big and bring in Delonte.
I miss Delonte. I wonder what he did for Danny to discard him away so readily.

It's a shame because he is a really good player who could help this team (and many others).
Probably the same thing he did for Dallas to discard him in pretty much the same way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

How Doc has been using him (as a spot up and catch and shoot scorer) + how PG-centric the offense has become under Doc. He needs to open up the offense more to allow guys like Terry and Green more freedom.

I think he's lost a step you seen him with the ball he can't create anything
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Terry hasn't been able to create anything outside of the PnR off the dribble for a few years now.

I see nothing different in him from in his physical capacity to what he did for Dallas over the last two years.

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Terry hasn't been able to create anything outside of the PnR off the dribble for a few years now.

I see nothing different in him from in his physical capacity to what he did for Dallas over the last two years.
He cant even do that now basically if nobody is drawing the defense in and finding him wide open he is useless
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He cant even do that now basically if nobody is drawing the defense in and finding him wide open he is useless
So he's pretty much what Ray Allen was for us last year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've been saying this for years.  The Celtics should have made an effort to get a young PG (with a second-round pick or as an undrafted free agent) who is in no way an undersized SG who the team is trying to fit into a combo guard role.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
People are calling for Doc to use Terry, play Terry, have Terry run the offense.  Have we been watching thesame Terry?  The guy has been atrocious this season. So has Pierce, Jeff, and Lee.  None of these is Doc's fault.  Can't believe people are still blaming Doc. 

They accuse Doc of not utilizing the group and play to their strengths.  Didn't Doc simplify things and go back to basics and fundamentals?  Fundamentals can't be complicated to group of professional basketball players.

People has to be out of their minds to be blaming Doc at this point for what is clearly and completely the players' fault.  No effort, no pride, no sense of urgency, just terrible overrall work ethic.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Trade for Andre Miller.  He and Pierce are old friends and I think he's the type of player we could trade for.

Where did you read they are old friends?  I remember them quarreling on the 2002 USA team that went down in flames.

They both grew up in LA
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Bradley is not a PG, he just has a PGs body.

Doesn't mean they're not still trying.  Bradley made a point of saying how he was studying the point during his rehab, and Doc says he'll get time there when Rondo's not playing.

The team actually did surprisingly well in the few games Bradley started at the point last year.  He lacks some traditional skills, but the ball moved and the team won.

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doesn't mean they're not still trying.  Bradley made a point of saying how he was studying the point during his rehab, and Doc says he'll get time there when Rondo's not playing

This is not a test.   You can only learn so much from studying if you don't have the instincts.  Basketball IQ and the like is largely an innate gift.

They tried this last year and it was a disaster.   He is a shooting guard in a PG body.

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
what happened to Barbosa?  Through the end of November, he was getting good chunks of minutes as our backup point guard, I found him to be playing just fine, and our record was 9-7 over that time.  Since Dec. 1, he's pretty much been pulled out of that role and our record has been 5-10.
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.

not a fan of an attacking team i see eh? It seems we move the ball better when rajon is OUT!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
He stopped getting time when it became obvious that his idea of "manning the point" is putting his head down and driving to the hoop every time. It gets old quickly.
Wasn't that the point, though? Barbosa tries to find a hole in the defense, and he'll either make a basket, get fouled while shooting (sometimes they even call it), or pass out to someone else.

I actually thought it worked pretty well, honestly.

thank You! TP for u!
LET'S GO CELTICS!