Author Topic: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion  (Read 42790 times)

Re: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I said i would put this up for a vote during last year so here it goes. 

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

A GM shall not play inferior players over stronger players in an attempt to maximize draft position and shall be punishable by a warning for the first offense, a draft pick penalty of one spot for second offense, two draft pick spot penalty upon third offense and banishment upon 4th offense. 
1. Intentionally take a player (Player X) out of the starting lineup on the day of a game in favor of another player (Player 1) ranked 100 (per yahoo avg points per game over the previous 30 days) spots or more below player X.

Note: not placing a better player into ones starting lineup in place of an inferior player falls within inactivity rather than tanking. 

Note two: regardless of future trades involving this pick, the draft pick penalties remain attached

Perhaps we could run this more like the "no cut" list in some leagues.

e.g. a top-100 fantasy player (average points) cannot be benched except for another top-100 player. It would be very hard to police all the way down the chain, but this would make roughly the top half of fantasy starters in a 20 team league "must starts". It would be permitted to interpret top-100 to mean the past 30 days or some other reasonable measure of average points.

Warning followed by points penalty of 50 points per day in violation?

Points penalty = points added to your total for draft position calculations

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Suggestion: 

All Teams Must have Formal Names

Suggested text:
"All teams must have a formal team name in the following format:  [City Name] [Mascot Name].  Examples:  Utah Flash.  Pittsburgh Pisces.  Bellevue Leprechauns.  City may be fictional.

Reason:   Let's clean up the team name riff raff.  Between Ya'll Hate and Ubuntu Ya'll... and Desiginated Drinkers and Diggles Disciples... it's like distinguishing between Seth/Steph Curry, Bojan/Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Goran/Zoran Dragic.

No.

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Here's my suggestion for helping with both tanking and league activity:

100 Missed Game Rule

Suggested Text:
  "Any team that exceeds 100 games will either be removed from the league or forfeit all owned draft picks."

Reason:

Five teams exceeded 110 missed games this year... the most having missed 174 games.  That's absurd.   In the real NBA, teams can't simply say "Oh sorry, Bryant and Randle are injured and the rest of our players are stuck in the D-League... we're only suiting up 3 guys tonight".   Even blatantly tanking teams like Philly manage to field an NBA roster nightly.   

Exceeding 100 missed games either means a team is inactive and checked out, or not making a good faith effort to compete.   I've intentionally tanked two years in a row and still had no trouble finishing with less than 75 missed games.  Last year, for instance, I had 4 injured players and a few more who spent the bulk of their time in D-League.  Despite this, I finished with only 53 missed games.   If your player is injured, trade him or cut him if necessary.  If your young guy is stuck overseas or in D-league, trade him or cut him if necessary.   There's over 100 serviceable players on the waiver wire that are getting NBA minutes.  Make space for the Steve Novaks of the world if you need to.   If you're hoarding draft picks, it means two things... #1 - You have plenty of empty roster spots for serviceable players off the waiver wire.  #2 - You can use those draft picks to trade for serviceable players.  If you're refusing to do either, you should either leave the league or forfeit your draft picks at the end of the year.  The commish should probably choose between the two solutions.  It makes sense if a GM is removed for inactivity that the new GM gets to keep the draft picks.  But if a GM insists on staying, they should forfeit all draft picks as punishment.

I actually like this in general as a clear-cut inactivity rule. My twist on it would be:

Penalty is your own 1st rounder (next year's if necessary).

You may apply for an "injury exception" which would be voted on by the league for use in extenuating circumstances. You should be able to show multiple major injuries and a concerted effort. Requires 2/3rd vote to save you.

I don't see it as a tanking measure per se (as others have noted, that's a more sophisticated issue), just an activity one.

I vote no to this as well.

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Suggestion: 

All Teams Must have Formal Names

Suggested text:
"All teams must have a formal team name in the following format:  [City Name] [Mascot Name].  Examples:  Utah Flash.  Pittsburgh Pisces.  Bellevue Leprechauns.  City may be fictional.

Reason:   Let's clean up the team name riff raff.  Between Ya'll Hate and Ubuntu Ya'll... and Desiginated Drinkers and Diggles Disciples... it's like distinguishing between Seth/Steph Curry, Bojan/Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Goran/Zoran Dragic.

This is fantasy basketball.

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

A GM shall not play inferior players over stronger players in an attempt to maximize draft position and shall be punishable by a warning for the first offense, a draft pick penalty of one spot for second offense, two draft pick spot penalty upon third offense and banishment upon 4th offense. 
1. Intentionally take a player (Player X) out of the starting lineup on the day of a game in favor of another player (Player 1) ranked 100 (per yahoo avg points per game over the previous 30 days) spots or more below player X.

Note: not placing a better player into ones starting lineup in place of an inferior player falls within inactivity rather than tanking. 

Note two: regardless of future trades involving this pick, the draft pick penalties remain attached

e.g. a top-100 fantasy player (average points) cannot be benched except for another top-100 player. It would be very hard to police all the way down the chain, but this would make roughly the top half of fantasy starters in a 20 team league "must starts". It would be permitted to interpret top-100 to mean the past 30 days or some other reasonable measure of average points.

I like this rule and would vote Yes, it just may make a lot of work for anyone trying to enforce it.

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Here's my suggestion for helping with both tanking and league activity:

100 Missed Game Rule

Suggested Text:
  "Any team that exceeds 100 games will either be removed from the league or forfeit all owned draft picks."

Reason:

Five teams exceeded 110 missed games this year... the most having missed 174 games.  That's absurd.   In the real NBA, teams can't simply say "Oh sorry, Bryant and Randle are injured and the rest of our players are stuck in the D-League... we're only suiting up 3 guys tonight".   Even blatantly tanking teams like Philly manage to field an NBA roster nightly.   

Exceeding 100 missed games either means a team is inactive and checked out, or not making a good faith effort to compete.   I've intentionally tanked two years in a row and still had no trouble finishing with less than 75 missed games.  Last year, for instance, I had 4 injured players and a few more who spent the bulk of their time in D-League.  Despite this, I finished with only 53 missed games.   If your player is injured, trade him or cut him if necessary.  If your young guy is stuck overseas or in D-league, trade him or cut him if necessary.   There's over 100 serviceable players on the waiver wire that are getting NBA minutes.  Make space for the Steve Novaks of the world if you need to.   If you're hoarding draft picks, it means two things... #1 - You have plenty of empty roster spots for serviceable players off the waiver wire.  #2 - You can use those draft picks to trade for serviceable players.  If you're refusing to do either, you should either leave the league or forfeit your draft picks at the end of the year.

I don't think tanking and games missed are necessarily related.  In my opinion true tanking really involves intentionally lowering your average player score which is then extrapolated over missed games through the adjusted standings. 

Also regarding your point above, the lakers did infact end a game with only 4 players last year.  It was funny.

I agree. This is my rational for voting No on this rule. The other rule regarding benching your good players, combined with the 75 missed games re-adjustment rule for lottery position, takes care of tanking more than enough. Some teams just suck and/or use roster spots for prospects who don't play much, combined with injured players. That is not tanking. That would be double and triple punishing teams that suck while the loaded teams get more good players. I would strongly consider leaving the league if this is the direction we move in.

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

Who will think of Byennie -- when even he won't think of himself????;D

that's a lotta math you gotta be doing every night brother.

From past practice here is how I see this going if you don't look at it every night:

It's January.... Team A is bored and looks at Team B's roster and notices a top 80 player has been on the bench. Rather than letting you know he posts on the msg board. (or maybe he lets you know, you warn Team B). Either way Team B gets p---ed... makes 5 posts about why that top 80 guy was on the bench... Accuses Team A of being the one who's really tanking b/c he doesn't have a player in the top 100 on his team, and throws in that Team C hasn't started Player Y all season even though he's ranked 200 he's averageing 40 pppg in his last 2 games. Ad infinitum.

I'll echo YH... this is fantasy basketball. I'd keep it as simple as possible.

I sorta stopped caring about teams tanking b/c the great thing about a league this big/deep is they'll never amass enough talent to compete. "Have fun finishing 18, 20, 19, 18, 20 then 8th (woo!). You'd have to hit on every pick (only THE walker wiggle does that) and get lucky with some other pickups to even imprve to 8th.

FWIW, we had a problem 2 years ago with players sitting healthy guys and soft tanking -- wehre in a h2h league sitting a healthy top 100 player 2x a week could cost you 20 wins or so over a season.

We added a games played audit at the ASB and end of season. Basically all I had to do was run 1 calculation 2x a year and that was it. (Games played IRL (via Basketball Reference) - Games Played in fantasy (via Yahoo Team Log)).

We didn't have that problem this year. Those teams at the bottom continue to be... but they're not sitting active players anymore. If they traded them cool.... again they'll probably continue to be in 18th, 19th place for years.

You can't legislate GMs to (a) know what they're doing or (b) care about finishing higher than last.  :-\
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Hehe, that's what I get for trying to think like a GM who totally doesn't get stuck with the math.

I guess I envisioned it as a rarely used thing, though. It wouldn't be monitored across the board, just enforceable for the egregious cases - you've had Durant on your bench for 2 weeks and aren't responding, that's a 700 point penalty.

But, it's probably not worth the trouble either.

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Hehe, that's what I get for trying to think like a GM who totally doesn't get stuck with the math.

I guess I envisioned it as a rarely used thing, though. It wouldn't be monitored across the board, just enforceable for the egregious cases - you've had Durant on your bench for 2 weeks and aren't responding, that's a 700 point penalty.

But, it's probably not worth the trouble either.

Exactly. Keep things simple. When the league gets too complex, the fun is gone, and people will bail for other leagues.

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
On the note of simplicity, perhaps this can work:

1) Only picks belonging to their original team are top-3 eligible for the lottery.

2) All picks owned by a team with 75 games missed are top-3 ineligible.

The implications:

* Draft picks can't increase in value by dealing yours away.

* Tanking by trading players for future picks is less appealing.

* Nobody can ever have a better than 25% chance of picking 1st - again, it's only your own ping pong balls.

* You can still trade for the #1 pick... AFTER the lottery.

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

From past practice here is how I see this going if you don't look at it every night:

It's January.... Team A is bored and looks at Team B's roster and notices a top 80 player has been on the bench. Rather than letting you know he posts on the msg board. (or maybe he lets you know, you warn Team B). Either way Team B gets p---ed... makes 5 posts about why that top 80 guy was on the bench... Accuses Team A of being the one who's really tanking b/c he doesn't have a player in the top 100 on his team, and throws in that Team C hasn't started Player Y all season even though he's ranked 200 he's averageing 40 pppg in his last 2 games. Ad infinitum.

I sorta stopped caring about teams tanking b/c the great thing about a league this big/deep is they'll never amass enough talent to compete. "Have fun finishing 18, 20, 19, 18, 20 then 8th (woo!). You'd have to hit on every pick (only THE walker wiggle does that) and get lucky with some other pickups to even imprve to 8th.

FWIW, we had a problem 2 years ago with players sitting healthy guys and soft tanking -- wehre in a h2h league sitting a healthy top 100 player 2x a week could cost you 20 wins or so over a season.

We added a games played audit at the ASB and end of season. Basically all I had to do was run 1 calculation 2x a year and that was it. (Games played IRL (via Basketball Reference) - Games Played in fantasy (via Yahoo Team Log)).

We didn't have that problem this year. Those teams at the bottom continue to be... but they're not sitting active players anymore. If they traded them cool.... again they'll probably continue to be in 18th, 19th place for years.

You can't legislate GMs to (a) know what they're doing or (b) care about finishing higher than last.  :-\

Im trying to finish higher than last   :'(
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

Cheer up Rondo2287. I wasn't singling out anyone's team in particular.

(plus you were 12th and 13th 2 and 3 years ago...)

I was just pointing out that in a league like this just getting, say, Wiggins--MCW--Lillard in back-to-back years isn't gonna springboard a team into 1st (any more than it's gonna work IRL for PHilly, IMO). An inactive team isn't going to improve just by getting great draft picks.

I therefore look at teams' attempts at tanking -- in whatever form they take -- as relatively pointless/harmless.

And therefore we should maybe just chalk it up in the "annoying but harmless" category alongside having 2 teams with "ya'll" in their name --- maybe it bugs us but it's not worth making a complicated rule to 'fix'.

This is a hard league to improve in .... i've been trying since I entered the league, i know. It's hard. That's what makes it fun IMO. If i wanted a 8 team league that hinged on me winning the lottery I'd go find that kind of league.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Rule Proposal

Anti Tanking rule:

Cheer up Rondo2287. I wasn't singling out anyone's team in particular.

(plus you were 12th and 13th 2 and 3 years ago...)

I was just pointing out that in a league like this just getting, say, Wiggins--MCW--Lillard in back-to-back years isn't gonna springboard a team into 1st (any more than it's gonna work IRL for PHilly, IMO). An inactive team isn't going to improve just by getting great draft picks.

I therefore look at teams' attempts at tanking -- in whatever form they take -- as relatively pointless/harmless.

And therefore we should maybe just chalk it up in the "annoying but harmless" category alongside having 2 teams with "ya'll" in their name --- maybe it bugs us but it's not worth making a complicated rule to 'fix'.

This is a hard league to improve in .... i've been trying since I entered the league, i know. It's hard. That's what makes it fun IMO. If i wanted a 8 team league that hinged on me winning the lottery I'd go find that kind of league.

I think that's what some people who want more complex rules for tanking don't understand. Even in a best case scenario where a team tanks and gets an Anthony Davis, it has nowhere near the effect on winning in fantasy leagues, especially the PTS league, as it does in the real life NBA. Not even close. On top of that, there is still a less than 10% chance at best at landing a player of that impact level through tanking. So as GC says, if people want so desperately to tank, that is their problem.

happy
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
one happy note to keep in mind:

3/4 of the league missed 50 or fewer games.

Tanking/missed games might feel like an epidemic but it's actually not. Most folks seem to be pretty active & engaged.

(perhaps another reason to not get too fancy with potential penalties).

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ok, you guys talked me off the ledge.  I don't care about a tanking rule anymore
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16