Author Topic: CB Draft Western Conference Finals: Kings (1) Vs Blazers (2)  (Read 32282 times)

Re: CB Draft Western Conference Finals: Kings (1) Vs Blazers (2)
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I still think Wes Matthews brings more to the table now than Harden.  I think Harden has the potential to pass Matthews, but right now Matthews' defensive abilities give him the edge in that matchup.  Also, Billups played better than Lowry last year, and we have Jennings as well who is heads and shoulders above sessions.

We expect Chauncey to be able to continue to outplay Lowry, Matthews to hold Harden in check while also contributing on the offensive end.  

As Nick has said we believe that IP has the advantage at the 4, but Millsap is no slouch himself.  Millsap will be able to give Amare a tough time when Amare trys to Iso, but the pick and role game will be tough.

Despite what IP says, Bogut is not talented enough offensively to sway the center matchup one way or another, that one is a draw.  

I think we win the 1, 2 and 3 matchups and win the series probably in 6 games
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Despite what IP says, Bogut is not talented enough offensively to sway the center matchup one way or another, that one is a draw.

How do you figure? What does Chandler do better than Bogut?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I think Chandler is a better man to man defender tha Bogut and has a better TRB% than Bogut.  Offensively I don't see Bogut being talented enough to make an impact to sway the matchup either way
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, this is interesting:

http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?5525-Paul-Millsap-is-the-8th-worst-defender-in-the-entire-NBA&s=e26e8d167d19bfe0fdb89984d1e95b66

Paul Millsap works out as the 8th worst defender in the entire NBA according to PER allowed.

Indeed. And my frontcourt is weak defensively?

I think Chandler is a better man to man defender tha Bogut and has a better TRB% than Bogut.  Offensively I don't see Bogut being talented enough to make an impact to sway the matchup either way

Okay, I don't think that the man-to-man claim is sustainable. In fact, you'd be better off claiming help defense, because that's always been chandler's strength. Rebounding I won't debate because you're right. Chandler is the better rebounder. But, Bogut's offense is the area where Chandler isn't even close. Bogut can actually receive the ball in the post, and do something with it, or make a smart pass. Chandler can't even do that.

That's a stark discrepancy to Chandler's game.

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Amare Stoudemire is not a good help defender. A few blocks does not equal good team D.

Stoudemire gets lost repeatedly on team D. He doesn't when to rotate defensively. He doesn't read the game well. Doesn't anticipate what is coming. Is frequently late in help D.

Millsap, on the other hand, is a very good team defender. The Kings frontcourt defense is much stronger than the Blazers.

Amare is not a good defensive anchor, I'm not sure he can't be a good team defender next to Bogut.

I do agree that Amare is a pretty poor defensive anchor, but at PF next to Bogut, I could see him being a good help defender.  I'm just so used to seeing him at the 5 that it's hard to imagine.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, I know my link above is to a forum thread. NBA.com took down all their articles, but I corroborated the numbers. Millsap ranks out as the 8th worst defender in the entire NBA in terms of PER allowed.

Amare Stoudemire is no defensive anchor, but Paul Millsap is no defensive asset.

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also, this is interesting:

http://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?5525-Paul-Millsap-is-the-8th-worst-defender-in-the-entire-NBA&s=e26e8d167d19bfe0fdb89984d1e95b66

Paul Millsap works out as the 8th worst defender in the entire NBA according to PER allowed.

Indeed. And my frontcourt is weak defensively?

Okay, I don't think that the man-to-man claim is sustainable. In fact, you'd be better off claiming help defense, because that's always been chandler's strength. Rebounding I won't debate because you're right. Chandler is the better rebounder. But, Bogut's offense is the area where Chandler isn't even close. Bogut can actually receive the ball in the post, and do something with it, or make a smart pass. Chandler can't even do that.

That's a stark discrepancy to Chandler's game.

Im not claiming Chandler is going to be our go to scorer IP.  Im just claiming that in this series Chandler will limit Boguts ability to be your secondary scorer

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also, I know my link above is to a forum thread. NBA.com took down all their articles, but I corroborated the numbers. Millsap ranks out as the 8th worst defender in the entire NBA in terms of PER allowed.

Amare Stoudemire is no defensive anchor, but Paul Millsap is no defensive asset.

That doesnt pass the think test IP, Millsap is a far better defender than Amare, I think we both know that

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2011, 01:37:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

That doesnt pass the think test IP, Millsap is a far better defender than Amare, I think we both know that

I think are both pretty bad defensively.

Therefor, I think Amare being better offensively wins this matchup. 

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

puh puh puh prove it. Because, Amare at 6'11 with a still pretty diesel vertical and far from weak physique can be a pretty big asset as long as you're not asking him to lock-down your defense.

Millsap at 6'8 and not much quicker or stronger than Amare is no threat to me defensively. I'm more worried about him knocking down jumpers or getting hot from outside.

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I'm not so certain of that.  Amare has normally been played at his less effective defensive position, center.  In Portland he's at PF where he should be more effective.  He has also been playing in a system that encourages him to allow his opponent to score in order to get that basket back in transition as opposed to playing physical and committing a foul.  These two things have made Amare appear to be a worse defender than he is really capable of being.

Millsap on the otherside, has played in a system that stresses defense and has allowed a PER/48 of 19.5 to opposing PFs.

EDIT:  For comparison purposes:  Amare allowed a PER/48 of 20.3 to opposing PFs (and surprisingly a 19.4 PER/48 to opposing centers.  I'd guess that's due to the higher quality of PFs in the league than C's)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Im not claiming Chandler is going to be our go to scorer IP.  Im just claiming that in this series Chandler will limit Boguts ability to be your secondary scorer

A) He's not my secondary scorer.

B) In the last 2 years, Chandler has done that once out of 3 games. If Chandler can do that once out of 3 games here, I'm happy with Bogut scoring 20 points on 64% shooting in those other two games (which is you know...what happened).

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Im not claiming Chandler is going to be our go to scorer IP.  Im just claiming that in this series Chandler will limit Boguts ability to be your secondary scorer

B) In the last 2 years, Chandler has done that once out of 3 games. If Chandler can do that once out of 3 games here, I'm happy with Bogut scoring 20 points on 64% shooting in those other two games (which is you know...what happened).

Who is your secondary scorer?

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Millsap is a below average man-to-man defender. He just doesn't have the size or length to compete and he's not talented enough defensively to make up for it. On team defense, he is one of the better defensive PFs in the league.

Amare Stoudemire is capable of playing average man-to-man defense at the PF position but will still be a below average team defender. Andrew Bogut will help hide him like he hid Drew Gooden or how Joakim Noah hid Carlos Boozer.

Amare Stoudemire has played a fair bit of power forward over the years. Alongside Turiaf, Robin Lopez, Shaquille O'Neal and Kurt Thomas. We know what he can do and cannot do at that position defensively.

Finally, I think anytime you have a player with Amare's athleticism you have a guy who is capable of becoming a sound team defender. However, I do not see that happening in Portland. Not under Alvin Gentry. Stoudemire has too much progress to make (dumb defender) and needs a strong teacher and Gentry isn't the man to do it. I expect a repeat of his past performances defensively at the PF position.

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Im not claiming Chandler is going to be our go to scorer IP.  Im just claiming that in this series Chandler will limit Boguts ability to be your secondary scorer

Who is your secondary scorer?

Kyle Lowry or James Harden, depending on how well Matthews holds up.

Either guy is good enough with the ball in their hands to take advantage of their matchup. Harden with his skill, Lowry with his speed. Either one should do well in a pick and roll setting with Amar'e.