Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 40969 times)

celticsclay and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Ultimately, it feels like a foregone conclusion now Jayden Daniels is going #2.

So either the Pats love Maye at #3, or they'll trade down.

Is it?  What are you basing this on?  I have seen reports that WAS likes Daniels, that they like Maye, that they will trade the pick and stock up on defense.  I am not sure you can count on or expect anything at this point.

And I don't think there is any indication as to who the Pats like best.  They may like one or the other, they may like both (assuming Williams is #1), maybe they don't like either.  I would not be surprised if they trade the pick.  Look what San Fran was willing to give up for Trey Lance.  Both Daniels and Maye are probably better prospects than Lance (he had hardly played).  If there is an offer like that on the table at some point, why not take it?  Teams tend to do crazy things to get a QB.

For those who don't remember, SF gave up the 2021 No. 12 pick, first- and third-rounders in 2022 and a first-rounder in 2023 (total, 3 firsts and 1 third), to move up to the 3rd pick.  I suspect that the Pats are testing the trade market for the pick to see just how far some team will go.

That 2021 draft is so similar. 3 top QB, Lawrence, Wilson, Lance.  Two busts and 1 perhaps top 10 starter.

« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2024, 04:54:44 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

I want the trade down.

Maye is a developmental pick, while Alt/Harrison could start Day 1. I think both of these players have a low percentage chance of being busts, while I actually think its around 50-50 with Maye.

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2024, 05:28:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I want the trade down.

Maye is a developmental pick, while Alt/Harrison could start Day 1. I think both of these players have a low percentage chance of being busts, while I actually think its around 50-50 with Maye.

Agree on Maye, I would just add a wrinkle to my plan: move down AND up. There is some really great depth at OT and WR this year, and we have enough assets to potentially get the 2nd or 3rd player on the board at both positions. We might get players at #8 and #15 that would be more like 5/10 or better in a lot of drafts.

For example, Odunze at 8 and Latham (15). Based on trade value charts, 3 and 34 is roughly worth 8 and 15, or 3 and a future pick etc.

The wildcard is if we like McCarthy, but still need a high pick to get him.

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2024, 05:37:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541

I want the trade down.

Agree on Maye, I would just add a wrinkle to my plan: move down AND up. There is some really great depth at OT and WR this year, and we have enough assets to potentially get the 2nd or 3rd player on the board at both positions. We might get players at #8 and #15 that would be more like 5/10 or better in a lot of drafts.

For example, Odunze at 8 and Latham (15). Based on trade value charts, 3 and 34 is roughly worth 8 and 15, or 3 and a future pick etc.

I won't be upset if they select Maye since I haven't a clue as to whether he'll be bust or boom.  Your trade down/up scenario also sounds good to me.  Bottom line, I don't expect the Pats to be playoff contenders this season - so I want them to be thinking beyond 2024.  A 2-3 year plan works for me.  Start by filling positions of need and gaining some future draft capital in the process.  Take another struggle year and bring a #10-15 pick into next year's draft - and perhaps another 2025 pick or two with the trade down from #3.

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2024, 08:19:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

I want the trade down.

I won't be upset if they select Maye since I haven't a clue as to whether he'll be bust or boom.  Your trade down/up scenario also sounds good to me.  Bottom line, I don't expect the Pats to be playoff contenders this season - so I want them to be thinking beyond 2024.  A 2-3 year plan works for me.  Start by filling positions of need and gaining some future draft capital in the process.  Take another struggle year and bring a #10-15 pick into next year's draft - and perhaps another 2025 pick or two with the trade down from #3.
the 2025 draft for QB is not good. Article below but you are looking at Quinn Ewers and Shadeur Sanders at the top.  There might 4 or 5 QB in this draft better. That is why the Patriots have to take a QB at 3 or trade the pick for a big haul. A multi-year tank only works if you end up with a franchise QB. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/quinn-ewers-shedeur-sanders-headline-2025-nfl-draft-qb-class/
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2024, 02:19:09 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
Apparently Uche turned down more money to stay with the Pats.

Josh Uche put pen to paper on a one-year contract to return to the Patriots this week.

The Patriots will welcome the 25-year-old pass-rusher back on the roster, especially with his contract only worth $2.3 million in guaranteed money.

But Uche reportedly could have landed a larger contract this offseason had he opted to sign with another team.

“Josh Uche had several offers, including one worth $15 million over two seasons, with $11 (million) guaranteed,” NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero shared on the X platform earlier this week. “But his heart was in New England, and he opted to return for less: A one-year, $3 (million) deal with upside to $8 (million). A rare time a player makes the final call and doesn’t chase the money.”

In a video released by the Patriots on Thursday, Uche explained why he wanted to return to Foxborough for the 2024 season — even after factoring in the lower payday.

“The Patriots were the organization that gave me a chance in the NFL. It’s like family. It feels like home and there’s nowhere else I’d rather be than home. So I think that was my main reason: Loyalty, family and love,” Uche said. “Coach (Jerod) Mayo is developing a lot of tough young men, and I feel like it’s something I just want to continue to be a part of.

“I think it’s just going to be great. I think the future is bright. I’m just happy to be home and get back to doing what I do best.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2024/03/14/josh-uche-new-england-patriots-free-agency-nfl-football/?p1=hp_featurestack

Good to know people still like us...even if they suck  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2024, 06:09:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
That is a lot of money to give up. Interesting.  With all the cap space they still have, the Pats should bump him up to the 8 million
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2024, 06:23:46 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2541

Josh Uche put pen to paper on a one-year contract to return to the Patriots this week.

The Patriots will welcome the 25-year-old pass-rusher back on the roster, especially with his contract only worth $2.3 million in guaranteed money.

But Uche reportedly could have landed a larger contract this offseason had he opted to sign with another team.

“Josh Uche had several offers, including one worth $15 million over two seasons, with $11 (million) guaranteed,” NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero shared on the X platform earlier this week. “But his heart was in New England, and he opted to return for less: A one-year, $3 (million) deal with upside to $8 (million). A rare time a player makes the final call and doesn’t chase the money.”

In a video released by the Patriots on Thursday, Uche explained why he wanted to return to Foxborough for the 2024 season — even after factoring in the lower payday.

“The Patriots were the organization that gave me a chance in the NFL. It’s like family. It feels like home and there’s nowhere else I’d rather be than home. So I think that was my main reason: Loyalty, family and love,” Uche said. “Coach (Jerod) Mayo is developing a lot of tough young men, and I feel like it’s something I just want to continue to be a part of.

“I think it’s just going to be great. I think the future is bright. I’m just happy to be home and get back to doing what I do best.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2024/03/14/josh-uche-new-england-patriots-free-agency-nfl-football/?p1=hp_featurestack

Are you saying Uche sucks or the Pats? 

Uche was disappointing last year. Not sure I’d give up on him though.

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2024, 03:23:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Robert Kraft didn’t hedge when asked about the Malcolm Butler mystery, and the cornerback’s curious benching during the loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII.

During ‘The Dynasty’ docuseries, he put that loss squarely in the lap of his head coach, Bill Belichick.

“Tommy threw for over 500 yards, but Bill made a tremendous error. I credited Bill with that loss. To be honest, my head coach is a pain in the tush, but I was willing to put up with it as long as we won. So for the next Super Bowl, I wanted to keep an eye on him.”

The Patriots owner doesn’t buy the notion Belichick was doing what was best for the team in benching Butler for all but one special teams play in that Super Bowl.

“I always felt every decision Bill had made had been to put what was in the best interests of the team first and put emotion aside,” Kraft said. “But with Malcolm, he did just the opposite.”

During Episode 9, Kraft shed some light on the benching, which remains a mystery to this day.

Said Kraft: “What has been told to me was there was something personal going on between Bill and Malcolm that was not football related.”

Added wide receiver Danny Amendola: “I remember walking off the field that night, just really confused. That was the biggest game of our lives at the moment, and Malcolm’s not on the field? That (expletive) p---es me off still to this day … to not get an explanation? I felt we got cheated a little bit, honestly, and I don’t feel bad saying that.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2024, 03:26:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Robert Kraft didn’t hedge when asked about the Malcolm Butler mystery, and the cornerback’s curious benching during the loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII.

During ‘The Dynasty’ docuseries, he put that loss squarely in the lap of his head coach, Bill Belichick.

“Tommy threw for over 500 yards, but Bill made a tremendous error. I credited Bill with that loss. To be honest, my head coach is a pain in the tush, but I was willing to put up with it as long as we won. So for the next Super Bowl, I wanted to keep an eye on him.”

The Patriots owner doesn’t buy the notion Belichick was doing what was best for the team in benching Butler for all but one special teams play in that Super Bowl.

“I always felt every decision Bill had made had been to put what was in the best interests of the team first and put emotion aside,” Kraft said. “But with Malcolm, he did just the opposite.”

During Episode 9, Kraft shed some light on the benching, which remains a mystery to this day.

Said Kraft: “What has been told to me was there was something personal going on between Bill and Malcolm that was not football related.”

Added wide receiver Danny Amendola: “I remember walking off the field that night, just really confused. That was the biggest game of our lives at the moment, and Malcolm’s not on the field? That (expletive) p---es me off still to this day … to not get an explanation? I felt we got cheated a little bit, honestly, and I don’t feel bad saying that.”

I'm finding it pretty remarkable that apparently Belichick was a higher authority in New England then Robert Kraft, you know, the freakin' owner.

Seriously, the Brady decision, benching Butler, etc. Dude, you're the OWNER. Put your foot down and force Belichick to re-sign Brady or play Butler or what not. For a team that won 6 SBs, the crazy part is they probably had a chance to add 1 or 2 more if it weren't for Belichick. BUT I'm not excusing Kraft from that either.

Apparently from this documentary, it sounds like Kraft clearly had all the answers while Belichick didn't, but Kraft was also like "eh whatever"  ::)

Tom Brady is the GOAT and he was the Patriots. Plain and simple. Miss you TB12
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2024, 04:24:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm finding it pretty remarkable that apparently Belichick was a higher authority in New England then Robert Kraft, you know, the freakin' owner.

Seriously, the Brady decision, benching Butler, etc. Dude, you're the OWNER. Put your foot down and force Belichick to re-sign Brady or play Butler or what not. For a team that won 6 SBs, the crazy part is they probably had a chance to add 1 or 2 more if it weren't for Belichick. BUT I'm not excusing Kraft from that either.

Apparently from this documentary, it sounds like Kraft clearly had all the answers while Belichick didn't, but Kraft was also like "eh whatever"  ::)

The documentary is basically a hit piece on Belichick - pretty hard to watch really. Kraft is dodging any blame. He's going to look really bad if the team isn't back on its feet with the next couple of years.

Also, it wasn't like the Pats were going to win another SB after Brady's last season with NE. It was similar to the Celtics in 2012-13. Sure, they still had most of the big names around, but TB was much better set up to win than the Pats after 2019. They had a great run - perhaps they could have won another throughout the years - but the credit goes to BB and TB, not just TB.

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
If anyone should get the blunt of the blame for SB LII, it should be Patricia.  He had one foot out the door to DET and his defense got absolutely torched by Nick Foles.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2024, 05:03:03 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008

Added wide receiver Danny Amendola: “I remember walking off the field that night, just really confused. That was the biggest game of our lives at the moment, and Malcolm’s not on the field? That (expletive) p---es me off still to this day … to not get an explanation? I felt we got cheated a little bit, honestly, and I don’t feel bad saying that.

I knew it. Superbowl LII loss 100% on Belichick, because of that mysterious benching of Malcolm Butler. If he played a few more snaps in defense and not even let Jordan Richards sniff the field, we win that Superbowl and talking about a 3peat.

Wasting Brady's precious years like that.

I'll also blame Kraft for not doing a good job overseeing the operations. You are literally the biggest head in the franchise (well, besides Brady) and you let that happen and let Brady walk because of egomaniac Bill. Kraft gotta go if we don't make any big splash this offseason and in the upcoming season. At least do better than last year man.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2024, 09:06:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

The documentary is basically a hit piece on Belichick - pretty hard to watch really. Kraft is dodging any blame. He's going to look really bad if the team isn't back on its feet with the next couple of years.

Also, it wasn't like the Pats were going to win another SB after Brady's last season with NE. It was similar to the Celtics in 2012-13. Sure, they still had most of the big names around, but TB was much better set up to win than the Pats after 2019. They had a great run - perhaps they could have won another throughout the years - but the credit goes to BB and TB, not just TB.

I do think the message has been curated by the Kraft's side. Bill doesn't seem to care about sharing his side of what happened. His lack of clarity on the Butler benching is still bizarre.

I thought the documentary was very well done. I think it was accurate, critical, and added commentary that I had never heard. It was fun listening to ex-players talk about events from 20 years ago.

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2024, 10:26:07 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384

Are you saying Uche sucks or the Pats? 

Uche was disappointing last year. Not sure I’d give up on him though.

Both, now that you think about it  :laugh:

But yes, at $2.8m definitely worth persevering with.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D