Author Topic: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?  (Read 22598 times)

Re: Would you rather have Rondo or Sullinger back right now?
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Do you think Rondo would be able to adapt to this half court offense? Do you think it is more effective than our previous half court offense? To me in the half court since Rondo went down our best offense has been Green dribbling at the top of the key getting a head of steam then getting to the basket. Would Green has as many such opportunities with Rondo around?
Sure he was effective before 2008-2010 when his ball handling responsiblities were lesser. He's also a better player now, better shooter and creator off the dribble himself.

Though given how this halfcourt offense has fallen off after a torrid month or so I'm questioning how much better it is.

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Everyone who said sullinger should pretty much be banned for such absurdity  ::)

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Rondo.  Sully can't win a playoff game (or playoff series) nearly on his own.  Rondo can.

I like Sully a lot, but at some point, talent trumps fit.

when did Rondo win a playoff game on his own?? Is as memorable as Green scoring 43 points a few weeks ago. Unless you win, its not memorable nor significant imo

There's the 2010 game 4 against Cleveland that sent LBJ out of town. His line was 29-18-13. Rondo dominated that game

When did he once dominate like this, this year?? I do remember an assist record he was pursuing, and also remember alot of pounding the ball making selective passes and gambling on defense. Losing streaks, slumps. He changed the way he played, with less intensity , laziness and cuteness

Nobody dominates games like that every night. I think the issue is that no matter what ails the team (Terry's knee, PP's pinched nerve, Green needing to get back into shape, the new guys learning the system), you're either calling it "Rondo being lazy" or "Rondo pounding the ball". Rondo wasn't the reason our defense fell apart when KG went to the bench earlier this year. He isn't the reason that PP and Terry were shooting poorly and scoring less when they were less healthy. He's not the reason Green was shooting so poorly the first 2 months of the season. Laying the losing streaks and slumps on him is nonsense.

Again this ones easy. With Rondo earlier this year we stunk and without him starting with the Miami game until Barb went down, we were lethal. Everyone started to play better as a team.

Rondo did pound the ball , walked up with the ball and wanted guys to set picks for him and run around screens like headless monkeys for an easy bucket. In the end they had only like 5-7 seconds to shoot, which is pretty stressful

After they let rondo down, he started to get them to do the same thing but in reality gave the ball to Pierce and KG most of the time. 

Without Rondo, we were running up with the basketball, sharing the ball, spreading the energy and also had enough fast break points. Our defense was also great. This is celtics basketball

It's easy because you didn't address any of my points. You're also explaining why the offense has improved so much without Rondo when the biggest difference in the team is on defense, namely how well we play defense when KG is on the bench. Did you ever notice any of the things that I mentioned when you watched the Celts play? My guess, based on your response, is that you didn't.

Agreed. We're now 8 pages into this thread, and I'm still waiting for someone on the other side of this argument to support even one claim with a useful fact, or pay attention to any of the facts that have been presented to them.

I mean, just read the exchange above:

You: "Rondo's more valuable because he's proven he can win a playoff game by himself"

TB: "He's never done that!"

You: "Yep, he has, and here's one example."

TB (moves goalposts): "Well he hasn't done that this year!"

Me, in another post above: "He's come pretty close, and a heck of a lot closer than Sullinger. He had four triple-doubles in January alone."

TB: "OK, I'm going to ignore that and just re-gurgitate the same things I've been saying for 8 pages. Rondo pounds the ball! He's lazy! Etc."

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Far and away it's Sullinger, he fits in with the rebounding issues and is an upgrade defensively and offensively. Celtics are playing well because they're sharing the ball. We don't need Rondo out there telling people that they aren't good enough to touch the ball until he decides they are.

Me wants to cry  :o
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
cant believe this is even debatable. rondo is the 12th best player in the game...

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972
I would take a team of five Sullys anyday over a selfish divas.

Rondo needs  to be brought back down to earth and play hard like his teammates. Cut out the "ME" basketball.

Rondo should be very blessed if he is allowed to stay on this team.

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Everyone who said sullinger should pretty much be banned for such absurdity  ::)

Without saying too much more, as I feel some what dirty for even giving this thread an ounce of credibility just by responding, you've pretty much nailed it down here.

This is theater of the absurd.

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Agreed. We're now 8 pages into this thread, and I'm still waiting for someone on the other side of this argument to support even one claim with a useful fact, or pay attention to any of the facts that have been presented to them.

I'm still waiting for this too.

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
fact is we won a ring with a pretty 'blue collar' version of Rondo, not the star. A handful of what you all would call dominate performances.

we keep pointing at series that Rondo won in 09 and 10 like it might matter.

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

you mean like how we're 17-11 without Rondo and were 20-23 with him?

I first don't get the fact that people have to be poked fun at because they have an opinion. A question was posed on this thread. And because I don't agree with you, apparently I'm a lunatic, I'm crazy, I can't be serious, etc etc.

I'd also like to point out that I've been 'warned' by mods by saying similar things. But I'll leave that alone. Just a random there.

Secondly, there are people referencing statistics but guess what...STATISTICS AREN'T THE ENTIRE GAME!! YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT IT IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS!!

If I were to tell you that Paul has averaged like 6 or 7 turnovers his past couple games, some of you bring up 'oh it's Paul...it's ok' others say it's a fair number for all he does. It's nothing to sneeze at.

But at the end of the day it's about WINS AND LOSSES.

No way I'm going to believe this playoff Rondo myth. I have to go by what I've seen THIS YEAR. Why is this wrong? He hasn't played to the level I THINK he can/should play to as the leader of this team. I also feel like I've seen him only make teamates out of KG and Paul. Because of this, I wouldn't want to risk the little bit of chemistry we have going on now.

What I saw with Sullinger, I LIKED. Yes he's a rookie, but I can find a thread here where half of you are praising him for not playing like one. 7/7 off the bench for this team could/would have been the difference in SEVERAL of our losses (think Hornets, Heat, even OKC maybe).

Is Paul the same as last year? KG? JET? Bass? No.
Why am I wrong for being concerned about what I SAW with mine own eyes and also seen in statistics?

In many of Rondo's dominate games this year...in his trip doubles....we didn't win. Why is that?

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2013, 05:08:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
fact is we won a ring with a pretty 'blue collar' version of Rondo, not the star. A handful of what you all would call dominate performances.

we keep pointing at series that Rondo won in 09 and 10 like it might matter.

Sure, all we need is PP/KG/RA in their primes to win a title with a "blue collar" Rondo. Shouldn't be any problems to find players like that on this roster.

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Seriously????

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34

And the records with and without Sully are? Considering he went down one game after Rondo, I am sure they are pretty similar right? It's not like the team couldn't make up for his contributions. They continued to win without him, right?

Still waiting on a useful fact from someone on the other side.

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo lovers really need to get a grip. Just because people don't put rondo on this high pedestal that some of you think he should be on does NOT mean you have to be so nasty just because someone disagrees with you.

Some people on here didn't like the way this team played when rondo was controlling the offense. That is completely understandable.

Some people think him coming back could mess with chemistry, hard to argue how that might indeed be a possibility and even has a realistic chance of happening.

Its also hard to argue that this teams biggest problem right now is not having enough quality bigs who can rebound and keep people out the paint.

So, even tho you may disagree *And that's fine* acting like people that pick sullinger are morons is completely uncalled for and not even remotely true.

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

And the records with and without Sully are? Considering he went down one game after Rondo, I am sure they are pretty similar right? It's not like the team couldn't make up for his contributions. They continued to win without him, right?

Still waiting on a useful fact from someone on the other side.

right. so disregard the only stat that matters, because we get higher in the standings based on our assists, blocks, and other useless thing.
and when i pose to you the offensive/def/usage ratings with and without Rondo, you'll just disregard those too and say i'm skewing stats.
i've done this before brother. pick any other Rondo 'bashing' thread.

i hold on to MY OPINION
you don't like it, so sorry for you.

I do not want the Rondo I saw from earlier this year back.
I do want the Sully I saw from earlier this year back, though.

If Rondo from years passed wants to return, I can get with that.
If Rondo who passes the ball to open teammates whomever they are comes back, I can also get with that.