Author Topic: Official Unofficial 2012 Olympic Games Thread  (Read 27369 times)

Re: Official Unofficial 2012 Olympic Games Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
So close for Australia against Brazil in the men's basketball, 75-71 :(

Heck of an effort to take it to them like that when they have Nene, Varejao and Splitter and our best big man to throw against them is David Andersen.

Looks like the highly unlikely bronze medal is already out of reach, oh well.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

Offline ewp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I started watching the USA-France game today.  And as an American, I was struck how we put together such an unlikeable team.  There is such a huge amount of talent on the team to be sure, but my gosh.  I can't think of any players whom have shown any humble nature at all.  I know I'm probably wrong and haven't been following them at all so I've probably missed it.  But I've been so very disappointed.

All the comments of who is better, 92, or 2012 and the one thing I would have loved to have heard is that "It's tough to compare eras, they were great players, hall of fame players, our team is quicker and more athletic, it would be fun to watch and play in."  Something.  Show some respect.  Show some sort of humility. 

And then, before game one I heard a bunch of clips about the players saying things like, we just want to win, we're not looking to blow anyone out, a one point win is enough, or whatever they were saying.  It just sounded like they were pre-emptively saying things because of the '92 teams average margin of victory.

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Shved and Kirilenko connected really well for Russia today. And though it was only Great Britain, Kirilenko was quite impressive with his 35 points on 14/17 shooting. Shved looked very good with his 16 points and 13 dimes, too, but it will be interesting to see him against better athletes.

I hope we are still talking with Carlos Delfino. He can still shoot lights out. Just needs to be set up right, which he might have lacked in Milwaukee.

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 10:51:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
No to Carlos Delfino
we need ballas who can create
not ones we need to setup

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I started watching the USA-France game today.  And as an American, I was struck how we put together such an unlikeable team.  There is such a huge amount of talent on the team to be sure, but my gosh.  I can't think of any players whom have shown any humble nature at all.  I know I'm probably wrong and haven't been following them at all so I've probably missed it.  But I've been so very disappointed.

Love? Durant?

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Did not saw the rest Of the basketball games other than China Spain. And help me here guys will you, is that Yi Jianlian I was seeing there?! I mean how is this guy not playing like that in the NBA? I mean sure they lost but man he's balling against the Gasols.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 06:01:30 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Olympic security farce as Wembley keys lost: First the G4S fiasco... now police admit to shocking stadium breach
Search teams hunt desperately for keys after they were lost during final preparations for the Games
Could cost £40,000 to replace the hi-tech laser key set

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180857/Olympic-security-farce-Wembley-keys-lost-First-G4S-fiasco--police-admit-shocking-stadium-breach.html

what goes around comes around ....

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »

fitzhickey

Heck of an effort to take it to them like that when they have Nene, Varejao and Splitter and our best big man to throw against them is David Andersen.

yeah, thought we did really well considering no Bogut, agree with bronze being out of reach  :'(

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm extremely proud to announce that Matt Grevers of Northwestern University (my school) has won gold and set an Olympic record in the 100m backstroke.

Being one of the weaker athletic schools in the B1G, I'm always happy to hear of an NU success, and on the world's biggest stage, no less!? Super cool.

GO USA!!!
GO WILDCATS!!!

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Gymnastics mothers; could you act just a touch more neurotic and freaky for the cameras please?  I don't think NBC has quite captured enough your freakiness.
Yup

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Dwyane Wade of the United States goes for a dunk while taking on Angola during the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Dwyane Wade?  ;D

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206

yeah, thought we did really well considering no Bogut, agree with bronze being out of reach  :'(

Without Bogut, the bronze was never a realistic possibility. Even with him it would've taken a miraculous effort.

1996 will always be the one that got away for the Boomers, if only we could've beaten Lithuania that day. Still irks me 16 years later :'(
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There's a player on the women's volleyball team named Destinee Hooker?  What's her middle name, a colon?

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
DT2012's "Angola game" coming up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRl8bvCKIK8