Author Topic: Caroline Wozniacki, 20, now # 1 in women's tennis  (Read 5438 times)

Caroline Wozniacki, 20, now # 1 in women's tennis
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/?p=1406

On Monday, October 11, 2010, Caroline Wozniacki will become the 20th player in the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) history to ascend to the top of the WTA Rankings. By reaching the quarterfinals at the 2010 China Open (Beijing), Wozniacki will surpass current World No.1 Serena Williams, a ranking the American has held all season since becoming 2009 year-end World No.1 on November 2, 2009.  Wozniacki will become the first Danish player (man or woman) to earn the World No.1 ranking and the 7th youngest in WTA history.    

That ranks along with this:

Very proud right now. No one can ever take this away from her. We're a country populated by roughly 5.5 million people. Stuff like this seldom happens to us.
Way to go, Wozzy!

Re: Caroline Wozniacki, 20, now # 1 in women's tennis
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Congrats!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Not quite sure how i feel about Wozz being number1, she has been the most consistent by far.. but without a major this year it kind of feels not quite earned!

I dont know, im not a person that is at all national minded like ACF so i dont really "get" that pride thing, same way as i dont give a rats behind about FCK doing well in the Champions League this year.

She's earned it on the merits of being consistent but i guess i dig winning the majors more i guess.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I wouldn't campare between these two events. While being the number one in the ratings is nice and all, winning the euro in soccer (the most followed sport in the world) is bigger and more important.

Even if you ask Caroline, actully winning majors is better than just reach the number one. But of course, well done for the consistency.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hey, don't make me look like I'm on a love trip with DF or something ;-) I hate Pia K. and her gang. She does not hold any beliefs that I share. A politician in the worst sense of the word.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Hey, don't make me look like I'm on a love trip with DF or something ;-) I hate Pia K. and her gang. She does not hold any beliefs that I share. A politician in the worst sense of the word.

Haha, think you took it the wrong way bro! i just meant it in the sense of sports! I havnt really followed anything sports related just because its a danish nationality since.. the World Cup 98' i think!

I actualy like watching Wozz play, not because she's danish but her methodical, technicly sound play style is something that speaks to me as an individual.
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird