Author Topic: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread  (Read 74000 times)

Re: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
For the people in USA, check out the Iran vs Lithuania game online on www.nbconlympic.com  You can check out Iran's 7'3" center who is suposed to declare for next year's draft.  He's tall and by far Iran's best player.  They're actually playing well, only losing by 20 points to Lietuva.

Oh, and that Phelps guy is just making it look too easy.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If anyone is going to watch the Olympic Men's Sabre event I would be glad to field any questions you have.

I have only one question:  What's a Sabre event? 
\

Esgrima??

Si Maestro

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
How does Phelps have so much energy!  I am happy that my fellow Brazilian friend got 3rd.  Brazil doesn't have a single gold yet.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Okay, so after saying I wasn't going to watch the Olympics, I find myself watching every night.  I'm actually rooting strongly for our men's gymnastics team right now.  Strange.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2008, 12:46:18 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Okay, so after saying I wasn't going to watch the Olympics, I find myself watching every night.  I'm actually rooting strongly for our men's gymnastics team right now.  Strange.

Strange part II:
I haven't watched a single
event yet. I guess shot-put
and handball isn't the stuff
of dreams  ;)
Besides, there's so many things
going on in our apartment.
We've taken over the apartment
just below ours and tomorrow we'll
get our staircase so we can actually
use the other rooms.
Also, "Baby ACF" is on the way
(due date is 26th) so I guess
there are more important things
to consider right now. Oh well  :)

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
China VS Spain goes to overtime. The Chinese were 14 points up in the 4th period but Spain played some great D and equalized. China had what seemed like the last possession. Rubio stole the ball but the refs called a foul (sh$@ call). Rubio stole the ball for second time with 6 secs on the clock and China with one foul to give more. They allowed Rubio to penetrate (Kazlauska`s teams never knew the word defense) but he missed the lay up and the game went to overtime. Rudy Fernandez is excellent BTW

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »

Offline WillC

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 22
China blew it in overtime and lost. Yao finally fouled out after making plenty of mental mistakes for his team, which surprised me. I really wanted to see Spain lose, because dumb Pau Gasol was acting like he was Shaq in his prime or something, showboating after every time he scored a dunk. I smile watching him try to flex muscle and intimidate players, knowing KG and the Celtics exposed him for the soft girly man he is. I hope the US team puts him back in his place.

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:56 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
USA 29 Angola 18 after the first, it's on now at NBColympics.com if your in the states.

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
Poor Angola, they have no chance.  They have always been up there though in terms of African basketball.  If Sudan was more organized, I think they could produce some really good basketball players.  My fellow portuguese speaking Angolans, although undersized, have always played well during FIBA Africa tournament.

One thing that I was thinking.  It's not a big deal, and it shouldn't be a big deal, but whenever there's something negative about the NBA, a lot of times there are people saying there's a racial conotation to it.  However, I think there's something to be said that our most marketable and important team of the whole Olympics (and arguably the face of USA) is full of black athletes.  It's good seeing these Chinese players praising these players.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I thought that other countries had "closed the gap" in basketball?  Certainly doesn't look like it. Of course there are still more games to be played, but I don't see this USA team being beaten. The only reason the USA lost the last time around is because they didn't send their best players, imo.  The US aren't even playing that great and still winning handily.  I don't think every game will be a cakewalk, but I still think they win Gold.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
China blew it in overtime and lost. Yao finally fouled out after making plenty of mental mistakes for his team, which surprised me. I really wanted to see Spain lose, because dumb Pau Gasol was acting like he was Shaq in his prime or something, showboating after every time he scored a dunk. I smile watching him try to flex muscle and intimidate players, knowing KG and the Celtics exposed him for the soft girly man he is. I hope the US team puts him back in his place.

Yao shouldn't be out there.  He has rushed back. 

I think this is going to end the Rockets chance of being a real contender. 

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Federer 6  Arevalo 2
     1st . Set
Nothing espectacular there

:(
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't remember his name, but one of Chinese gymnasts on the rings was downright freaky last night.  Absolutely amazing show of strength and agility.  It looked like he was levitating.  I don't even know what muscles he could have been using to do some of those moves.
Yup

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I thought this was funny:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080812/ts_afp/oly2008chinaceremonysongfake_080812123027

China is trying so hard to look good and they come off as so petty and silly it's hilarious.  My favorite part is the very last paragraph.

Earlier this year Olympic organisers preoccupied with the right image for the country were criticised for insisting that only tall, slim, young and attractive women could serve as medal award ceremony hostesses.

Isn't that what everyone does, except no one admits it?  How ridiculous. 

I don't blame them for using the extra shots of the fireworks.  Supposedly it was a hazard for the helicopters to get an "above the stadium" view while the fireworks were going off, so they CG'd some of them for the rebroadcasts.  The thing about using two little girls for that song is terribly sad, though.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
every country is fake in some way or form, people just don't admit it.

Become Legendary.