Author Topic: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread  (Read 73516 times)

Re: Official 2008 Beijing Olympics Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is anyone watching Argentina Lithuania? 
Great game! Lithuania had 10 points lead 4mins to go but in 2 mins argentina turned this over to two down and has the possession.

I watched it.  Argentina has a bunch of US players on it and they played a lot of one on one ball, which is why they were down most of the game and eventually lost.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Lithuania did pretty good on defense. I didn`t think that they were capable of winning by defending. They have a prety good roster though. The group got more interesting.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
i'm chinese myself and i'm very proud of the opening ceremony- finally a sense of pride in chinese tradition can be felt.

Are you Chinese by heritage or are you literally from there?  I was just in Beijing earlier this year, and I loved everything about the city (except the pollution, but that goes without saying).

I'm having a great time watching the Olympics, though I'm only getting to see whatever Korea is involved in.  It's awesome that they're doing so well (third in overall medals, second in golds to China).  Korean patriotism is out of this world.  I was lucky enough to go to a Korea football match against the Netherlands last year in Seoul World Cup Stadium and it was amazing.  Also, and I wasn't here for this, but the way this entire country galvanized over the 2002 World Cup was something really spectacular, too, apparently.  Seoul was just basically a party for the event and the next few months afterward.

I think it's really interesting that since America is so good, we have to be more selective about who we support.  I mean there are dozens of American gold medal winners every few years, but we only support people like Rulon Garnder and Kerri Strug because of the additional aspects to their stories.  Here in Korea, though, they go nuts over anyone who wins a gold.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:30:49 AM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Robb, I bet the games are on better times too.  Here in the US, all the good live games are on overnight so during the day, most of the sports are delayed random games.  In Brazil, people get all pumped up too.  Actually, yesterday I got to see a swimmer from my hometown in the finals.  Also, I don't know if it would work there, but you can watch a bunch of games online through this link: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/online.html

I missed the Lithuania game, but it looks like it was a good one.  I work with a bunch of Lithuanians and they're all pumped up.  One thing not very good for the US, Australia are getting their butts whooped by Croatia.

Oooh, one thing that was really cool.  After the Iran Russia game, an Iranian player and the Russian coach, an Israeli, shared a hug.  That's pretty cool considering that an Iranian swimmer refused to swim in the same heat as an Israeli swimmer.  Just sad.

Shoot!  Netherland just scored on USA!  They were heading for the win, now it's a tie.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
What time in the US will the USA/China game be on live?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 09:44:50 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
It'll be on at 10:15am, Eastern Time.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
It'll be on at 10:15am, Eastern Time.

TP!!!  :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
You know, they're saying this game is gonna be viewed by a minimum of 1 billion people.  That is sick!
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Oooh, one thing that was really cool.  After the Iran Russia game, an Iranian player and the Russian coach, an Israeli, shared a hug.  That's pretty cool considering that an Iranian swimmer refused to swim in the same heat as an Israeli swimmer.  Just sad.

Similar thing happened to one of the women aiming sports. The second and third place were taken by athletes from Georgia and Russia and although there is war going on they were very friendly with each other and left politics outside the games

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
Robb, I bet the games are on better times too.  Here in the US, all the good live games are on overnight so during the day, most of the sports are delayed random games.  In Brazil, people get all pumped up too.  Actually, yesterday I got to see a swimmer from my hometown in the finals.  Also, I don't know if it would work there, but you can watch a bunch of games online through this link: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv_and_online_listings/online.html

Yeap.  USA v. China is starting at 11.15 p.m., but I can't find any channel that it's on.  I'm looking at that NBC link and I lied and told the website that I still live in America so they'll let me watch (made that mistake too many times).

I think it's really silly that stations like NBC and ABC will put everything they broadcast on the internet only people in America.  I'm sure they have their reasons, but I still think it's silly.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 10:17:43 AM »

Offline 17...18...19!

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm finding it a challenge to root for a team with Kobe on the floor...blechh!

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I must say it is nice to hear the NBA on NBC theme song from years ago.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
And I'm blacked out.  A billion people in the world are watching this game, and I'm not one of them.  I should have just went.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
And I'm blacked out.  A billion people in the world are watching this game, and I'm not one of them.  I should have just went.

Did you try watching it on NBColympics.com ?

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

Did you try watching it on NBColympics.com ?

Only works for people literally inside America.